#1 Wenmin

Wenmin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hello,

I have been gluten free since 2008.  Have had minor setbacks through the years but nothing major.  In December 2012, I woke up one morning with what I thought was sinus infections and went to the Doctor.  I was prescribed antibiotics.  About 1 week later, I woke up one morning with hives.  Again, I was put on antibiotics and was told I had to wait 6 weeks to see an allergist.  Within the six weeks while waiting for the appointment, I was feeling"not quite myself" and went to the hospital.  After insisiting I be tested, it was determined that I had C-diff (bad bacteria take over in the gut).  I had to put off the appointment with the allergist.

Well, one thing leads to another and I've just been tested for allergies.  (I did an elimination diet and determined the hives were related to white potatoes and stomach issues were related to corn.)  When I went to the allergist office this past week, they did the skin prick test for 72 food allergens.  I did not react to any of them.  However, while I was put in the waiting room to speak with  the doctor to get my results, I broke out in hives on my lower right jaw to the chin.  I was called to the back and put in a room and showed this to the nurse who reported it to the doctor.  He came in to see the hives and told me "we will never know what you are alergic to. Just avoid the foods you think are giving you trouble." 

The elimination diet has helped me pinpoint the culprits.  I have tried to eliminate as much of these foods as possible.  My question is:  Is there a website I can go to to find out safe vs unsafe ingredients?  I have eliminated potato completely from my already restricted diet ( i have diverticulitis, celiac, now add in potato and corn products and I am very limited).  I do like to cook, so that is not a problem.  However, with somewhat hectic schedules, I'd like to have a go to meal if needed.  ( in the past it has been healthy choice chicken and rice soups).  Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Wenmin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

This is the best place I have found for my corn sensitivity. There is even a list of ingredients that potentially contain corn, plus items that are usually "processed" with corn. Good luch with it. Corn is SO hard to avoid! http://www.cornallergens.com/

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 Guest_myjade_84_*

Guest_myjade_84_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hi Wenmin. I found this website when i was doing my research. I hope this can help you. http://www.ext.colos...dnut/09375.html

#4 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks guys!

Wenmin

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Hi Wenmin. I found this website when i was doing my research. I hope this can help you. http://www.ext.colos...dnut/09375.html

As much as I like that school ( my son goes there) the list of foods to avoid is a bit odd. Frosting and salad dressing? Many are labelled gluten-free. Maybe they should be on a list of " read the ingredients carefully"?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: