5 replies to this topic

#1 yaelchai

yaelchai

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

I was diagnosed with celiac (colonoscopy) 6 years ago (I am now 62) after months of chronic diarrhea. Two of my children also have celiac disease. I have been careful about the diet most of the time, but in the last year less so. Over two months ago I started having a very sore mouth. It feels like it is burning inside. I have been to a couple of doctors who say it is allergies. I suspect it might be exposure to gluten and I am trying to be super careful.

What I wonder is if anyone has this kind of generalized mouth soreness--there are no ulcers. My lips are swollen, gums are sensitive, and sides of tongue are sore. 

Yael

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

I had mouth soreness, swollen gums, and terrible burning tongue and mouth for 3 years before my DX.

No doctor could explain it. Some said it was "hormonal", some said it was "idiopathic", blah blah blah

It gradually went away after going gluten-free.

If you are gluten-free, maybe it is something else causing it.. like a vitamin C or B-12 or other B vitamin deficiency? 

Have you seen a dentist? Could be a dental issue.

Just throwing ideas out there. 

I know how painful it is, so I hope you get relief soon.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 yaelchai

yaelchai

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

I have not been as careful as I should about gluten. I tend not to have many visible symptoms--sometimes some diarrhea, but that's about it. So, I suspect it is gluten exposure. Most of the descriptions of mouth problems related to gluten include blisters or ulcers in the mouth. Your message confirms that it might be this more generalized soreness. I must now adopt your "fire breathing dragon" approach. Thank you!

I had mouth soreness, swollen gums, and terrible burning tongue and mouth for 3 years before my DX.

No doctor could explain it. Some said it was "hormonal", some said it was "idiopathic", blah blah blah

It gradually went away after going gluten-free.

If you are gluten-free, maybe it is something else causing it.. like a vitamin C or B-12 or other B vitamin deficiency? 

Have you seen a dentist? Could be a dental issue.

Just throwing ideas out there. 

I know how painful it is, so I hope you get relief soon.

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

I have not been as careful as I should about gluten. I tend not to have many visible symptoms--sometimes some diarrhea, but that's about it. So, I suspect it is gluten exposure. Most of the descriptions of mouth problems related to gluten include blisters or ulcers in the mouth. Your message confirms that it might be this more generalized soreness. I must now adopt your "fire breathing dragon" approach. Thank you!

I'm afraid so! :)

We just cannot have gluten sneaking in, hon. C'mon, now, you know this!  ;)

Even if you think you're not causing damage because you "only" get diarrhea, well, 

you must know this is not the case. Your mouth issues---speak volumes.

Get cracking on being more vigilant and I bet you see those resolve.

My brain would be fried if I were not as careful as I am.

Get better soon.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 eblue

eblue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Interesting! I am newly diagnosed but several times a month for the past few years I have woke up with a very a sore mouth ( I mean the roof of my mouth would feel extremely tender)  I never thought about it being related to celiac. hmmmmmm

Be careful about not bring strict on your diet! Eventhough you may not have a lot of symptoms, it is still damaging your body on the inside!

#6 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Could it be something in your toothpaste? Perhaps try switching to homemade for a few weeks and see if that helps. You can google some simple recipes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: