24 replies to this topic

#1 a1956chill

a1956chill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

Last Thursday I had surgery to repair an abdominal hernia. It was supposed to be a one day surgery.  I knew there may be a chance I would have to stay over night and though nothing of it ( I had planed on having my daughter bring me food from home)

Well the best laid plans    <_<  Things did not work out as planned and it was a dietary nightmare .  I ended up staying over night and because my surgeon ordered  a diabetic diet my daughter was not allow to bring me in anything to eat .

Long story short : the staff told me I had to eat something before I could leave . The ONLY thing and I do mean only thing on the menu even close to something I could even risk  eating  that they would allow me to order( because of the diabetic diet) was cream of rice . So I ordered it . The girl brought it and said" here is your cream of wheat"  . Seriously  I mean SERIOUSLY ,,, ,MY Chart said celiac right on it , I told the person that took my order I was celiac and they bring me CREAM OF WHEAT !!!!!!! They may just as well served me rat poison !!! I lost it !!!!!!!!!!! 

When the nursing staff was trying to calm me down the RN on duty all but snickered at me when I said I could not eat the eggs on the menu because they had gluten and probably  soy in them  ( powdered eggs because institutions  are not allowed to have raw eggs on the premises)

The Dietitian finally  came up to talk to me and offered to go to the store to buy me what ever I wanted . Not that easy .

She asked me what I eat at home so they could fix it for me . Not that easy .

Finally my  surgeon    comes in to release  me ,  the nurses  and I fill him in on whats going on and   he writes an order so my daughter can bring me food from home . So I can go home . Easy

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

All I can do is shake my head, Chill.

Cream of wheat. Morons.

My biggest fear is being stuck in a hospital, or (later down the road)  a nursing home.... or a jail (not sure WHY I'd be there, but it's on my list of places to avoid :lol: ) and getting glutened left and right by well-intentioned staff and my brain starts to fritz.

(shudder)

Glad you are home safe and sound!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

Oh my goodness:(. I'm just shaking my head at the absurdity of it all.

I'm glad you are home, feel better soon :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

were you a prisoner?....THIS JUST IS MORE THAN I CAN TAKE.!  They can NOT forbid food from home, can't force you to eat, when you get your post hospitalization survey, GO TO TOWN!!  geesh

#5 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

What an absolute nightmare! No wonder you lost it! I think anyone would in your position. It makes you wonder how these people can be qualified io have a job in a hospital. It's no better across the pond either, I'm afraid to say. :-(

All I can offer is sympathy. Apart from the food fiasco, hope the surgery went well.
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#6 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

All I can do is shake my head, Chill.

Cream of wheat. Morons.

My biggest fear is being stuck in a hospital, or (later down the road)  a nursing home.... or a jail (not sure WHY I'd be there, but it's on my list of places to avoid :lol: ) and getting glutened left and right by well-intentioned staff and my brain starts to fritz.

(shudder)

Glad you are home safe and sound!

Agreed, a hospital ,  a nursing home and ,, most certainly,   jail are on my list of places to avoid  ^_^

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoarthritis

#7 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

What an absolute nightmare! No wonder you lost it! I think anyone would in your position. It makes you wonder how these people can be qualified io have a job in a hospital. It's no better across the pond either, I'm afraid to say. :-(

All I can offer is sympathy. Apart from the food fiasco, hope the surgery went well

Thanks flowerqueen ,, yes the surgery went very well :)

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#8 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

were you a prisoner?....THIS JUST IS MORE THAN I CAN TAKE.!  They can NOT forbid food from home, can't force you to eat, when you get your post hospitalization survey, GO TO TOWN!!  geesh

Oh I plan on it ,, I am not sure I will wait until get my survey ,,, I am still enraged over this ,,, I may call the hospital on Monday to complain .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#9 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

The think what has taken me aback the most ( besides their complete ignorance    of celiacs ) is  I thought I was prepared . I had it all planned out . I did not realize there where " rules" that would prevent me from bringing  my  own food from home .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#10 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

This is something I keep myself very aware of. There is such a thing as "leaving against medical advice." You simple begin to get ready to go, and eventually they'll bring in your release paperwork with that noted in your chart and usually why. (It was in my records from when my second daughter was born. She was lifeflighted to a NICU and they told me I had to stay in the hospital another day... my ass they were keeping me!)

I have been in instances where a doctor or medical person didn't understand the food thing. I have explained things with the patience of a saint. And with exasperation.

(shudder)

These are my biggest fears too. I've joked with my husband that the only thing that keeps me from being a serial murderer is that if I get caught they wouldn't feed me right in prison. The fact that I faint at the sight of blood never comes up. :lol: I have an agreement with my husband about food and he knows what to do and bring me if I'm ever in the hospital. Since In N Out is closer to the hospital than home, I taught him how to order for me. B) Sad how I can trust a fast food place but I can't trust a hospital to feed me.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#11 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

The

When the nursing staff was trying to calm me down the RN on duty all but snickered at me when I said I could not eat the eggs on the menu because they had gluten and probably  soy in them  ( powdered eggs because institutions  are not allowed to have raw eggs on the premises)

The RN should be in deep trouble as well as the "Dietitian" or whoever was supposed to give your chart to the dietitian.

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#12 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

Thanks flowerqueen ,, yes the surgery went very well :)

Glad to hear it!
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#13 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

I wonder if they would bring a peanut allergic person a PBJ sandwich and tell them they had to eat it. Idiots!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

I wonder if they would bring a peanut allergic person a PBJ sandwich and tell them they had to eat it. Idiots!

good (and frightening ) point, dear barty.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#15 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

Wow. :blink: I'm glad the surgery went well and you escaped the attempted poisoning.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: