4 replies to this topic

#1 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

I was thinking of looking for a good soluble fiber source, I'm not sure what I will be able to tolerate.

but It just got me thinking, maybe people on here have found natural methods of improving digestion and the overall experience of the daily "passing" :P

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

I had chronic constipation for years. I tried all the recommendations for more liquids, more fiber, magnesium, exercise, everything except laxatives, which caused cramping pain.  6 years after I was diagnosed with celiac disease, i was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis (autoimmune hypothyroid), which is highly correlated with gluten intolerance.  After I reached a stable dose of thyroid supplement, I was regular every day, no matter what I ate. However, I had to take the thyroid supplements at least an hour away from magnesium (and iron, which I don't take) and 30 minutes away from meals. Irregularity is a common symptom of hypothyroid. So, if you've tried all the other regularity remedies and still struggle, consider getting a full thyroid panel (free t3, free t4, TPOab and TSH, which is not as important as the first 3 tests).

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Ditto Burdee. I had C my entire life. I discovered my celiac disease and thyroiditis at the same time.  As my thyroid dosing got closer to ideal point, my BM's happened with much more frequency. I'm not sure it was due to my thyroid meds or the fact that I had been gluten-free for 9 months.

Prior to that, fibre did very, very little for me. I would mix fibre into water a few times a day, and take 2-6 fibre tablets, of two different types, twice a day. Heck, I ate prunes.  LOL I hope you find something that helps.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Make sure you are getting enough magnesium.  Too much, gives diarrhea. 

I am sold on my digestive enzymes.  They help break down the food and I have noticed a difference.  Though I must admit to having done so many things that it is hard to distinguish what is working.  My nurse practitioner told me that the villi in the small intestine get too damaged to do their job of triggering the pancreas.  This is reversible, but enzymes can help break down the food in the meantime.

Smooth Move Tea, by Traditional Medicinal, I heard recommended by my chiropractor for constipation.  My family has used it on a few occasions and found it helpful.

D

#5 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Ditto Burdee. I had C my entire life. I discovered my celiac disease and thyroiditis at the same time.  As my thyroid dosing got closer to ideal point, my BM's happened with much more frequency. I'm not sure it was due to my thyroid meds or the fact that I had been gluten-free for 9 months.

Prior to that, fibre did very, very little for me. I would mix fibre into water a few times a day, and take 2-6 fibre tablets, of two different types, twice a day. Heck, I ate prunes.  LOL I hope you find something that helps.

I was gluten free (and abstaining from my 6 other diagnosed allergies) for 6 years and still struggled with constipation.Then I was finally dx'd with Hashimoto's. It took over a year for me to realize that I didn't do well on any T4 meds and switched to T3 only meds with my doc's approval. After that I was regular withmuch less magnesium and fiber. However, when I need to increase my dose, I still cn get irregularity which is unmitigated by magnesium or fiber. I can't tolerate laxatives which contain sorbitol, beause I get horrible cramping pain from those.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: