15 replies to this topic

#1 seraphim

seraphim

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

I don't really know if this is the right section for this...I'll let the moderators decide ultimately. I've been wicked sick since xmas. Seems to be salicylates but i decided an allergist was the best course of action after developing hives and patches of swelling in my hands and feet. It looks like there isn't that much listed that she tested me for but i do have slight allergies to shrimp, cockroaches and a bigger one to milk. I knew i might have a milk intolerance but never dreamed I'd be allergic. Anyhow i was looking at antihistamines and most seem to have lactose. Is this safe for those with milk allergy? I have no idea if the protein lingers. Next i need to find someone who can test me for allergies to the all natural ingredients in my red apple lipstick lip gloss. My hives and swellings began after putting that on. My lips didn't swell but other areas did. the allergist said she couldn't test those ingredients (shea butter and castor oil etc.) but i need to make sure if I'm allergic to something or if it's salicylates in order to know the right course of action. The hives and swellings i haven't had for days now but they lasted about three weeks. Anyhow, if anyone has an actual milk allergy I'd love to know how it all works.

p.s. i forgot to add i had extra tests done and have a large anion gap. meaning i am very acidic in body ph. can allergies cause that? Seeing my family doctor on tuesday.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

You could try the syrup form of the medication. They may not have it. I have heard that allegra might be when I went to look it up. Best bet would be to contact a pharmacist or the manufacturer for more information.

#3 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

thanks. do you have milk allergy? we have no idea if we have to replace our cookware and what not like with gluten or casein intolerance. my allergy is to a milk protein so it seems like it would?

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

I'm curious.  What did the allergist say about these things?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

She had let the Secretary tell me over the phone. She's not in until tuesday to talk more in depth bout it.

#6 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Making a list of questions for her might be a good idea.  I know people with food allergies and there seems to be a range of reactions.  For instance, my BIL is actually allergic to wheat (not a Celiac).  He doesn't worry about the small amount he might get by taking a burger off a bun or an accidental piece of breading in his fries.  The small amount doesn't bother him. If he ate the bun, he would get very stuffy sinuses and very congested and miserable.   But we all know of people with peanut allergies that have a really bad reaction immediately to plain M & M's because they are made on the same machines as peanut ones.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

I don't know how reliable the information is, but when I looked up ph/allergies, some sites suggested that if your ph was high, you were more likely to have allergies. Other sites said that allergies can CAUSE high ph. Livestrong said that people were more likely to be allergic to acidic foods than low ph foods. It seems there MIGHT be some kind of connection.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

Oh so much confusion. Hate the waiting game. Guess I'll find out Tuesday.

#9 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

No I don't. I do know a bit on food allergies and whatnot. :)

A good idea to do, however, if you have environmental allergies is to eat some local honey. It seems to help lessen them to a degree and it also helps with stomach issues. I know if i don't have some every day, my GERD tends to act up a bit more.

#10 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Mmm sounds good.Unfortunately I need to be sure I don't have a salicylate issue before I ingest something high like honey.

#11 eblue

eblue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

My brother has a milk allergy. He can use the same cookware as others, as long as it has been washed. And he is pretty darn sensitive. He has had severe emergency reactions before. He cant touch milk or smell anything with milk in it. But the cookware thing is no issue for him. However, I am no expert-Im just saying what I know from his experience. I would deffinately ask a dr to be sure

#12 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

I don't really know if this is the right section for this...I'll let the moderators decide ultimately. I've been wicked sick since xmas. Seems to be salicylates but i decided an allergist was the best course of action after developing hives and patches of swelling in my hands and feet. It looks like there isn't that much listed that she tested me for but i do have slight allergies to shrimp, cockroaches and a bigger one to milk. I knew i might have a milk intolerance but never dreamed I'd be allergic. Anyhow i was looking at antihistamines and most seem to have lactose. Is this safe for those with milk allergy? I have no idea if the protein lingers. Next i need to find someone who can test me for allergies to the all natural ingredients in my red apple lipstick lip gloss. My hives and swellings began after putting that on. My lips didn't swell but other areas did. the allergist said she couldn't test those ingredients (shea butter and castor oil etc.) but i need to make sure if I'm allergic to something or if it's salicylates in order to know the right course of action. The hives and swellings i haven't had for days now but they lasted about three weeks. Anyhow, if anyone has an actual milk allergy I'd love to know how it all works.

p.s. i forgot to add i had extra tests done and have a large anion gap. meaning i am very acidic in body ph. can allergies cause that? Seeing my family doctor on tuesday.

I  tested high for cow's milk casein and whey about 15 years ago).  Strict avoidance is your best bet.  Eventually, (hopefully), your body will "calm" down and you might be able to consume tiny amounts (by mistake).  I don't have to worry about cc in the kitchen with milk as I do with gluten.  

Although I'm allergic to lots of things, I rarely use antihistamines.  The one product that I keep on hand is a Costco brand that's comparable to Benadryl (I mostly use it for my dog!)  It does not contact lactose.  But lactose is a milk sugar.  So, that would not bother me.  I suppose I probably have a lactose intolerance now, that I have Celiac's or 'cause I'm just plain old simply because I've lost the ability to digest it -- the old "use it or lose it" factor.

Avoidance is best because it's in your power.  I rely only on an antihistamine when I get exposed to my  environmental allergies (e.g tree pollen or cats) and only when I'm extremely miserable (constant sneezing, itching).  I tend to react to lots of medications (several ER visits) and I do my best to avoid them.  

Hummm....you're not using any latex are you? That makes my feet and hands swell (socks or gloves).  Even a bandage causes itching and swelling.  And finally, even though it's summer here, I get swelling and hives from cold temperatures (e.g. swimming in the Pacific). 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

Thanks everyone. My hubby looked online after and found out cookware that reaches....I think 250F is definitely okay because it changes the protein? Either way I'm not too concerned. Was very sick all week so I'll get in touch with my allergist next week hopefully. She was suppose to call me but never did.

#14 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

If you have been eating something for years with no reaction, you aren't allergic to it. If you drink milk and eat shrimp there is no reason you need to remove it unless you have issues with it. 

Allergy testing is about 50% accurate for a positive. So you can test positive to things you eat all the time. 

Also, many Dr's can create a scratch test with the item you want tested if you give it to them with food. Perhaps your Dr. could try that?

#15 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

I do have an allergy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: