This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hives...milk Allergy Etc

seraphim

seraphim Contributor

I don't really know if this is the right section for this...I'll let the moderators decide ultimately. I've been wicked sick since xmas. Seems to be salicylates but i decided an allergist was the best course of action after developing hives and patches of swelling in my hands and feet. It looks like there isn't that much listed that she tested me for but i do have slight allergies to shrimp, cockroaches and a bigger one to milk. I knew i might have a milk intolerance but never dreamed I'd be allergic. Anyhow i was looking at antihistamines and most seem to have lactose. Is this safe for those with milk allergy? I have no idea if the protein lingers. Next i need to find someone who can test me for allergies to the all natural ingredients in my red apple lipstick lip gloss. My hives and swellings began after putting that on. My lips didn't swell but other areas did. the allergist said she couldn't test those ingredients (shea butter and castor oil etc.) but i need to make sure if I'm allergic to something or if it's salicylates in order to know the right course of action. The hives and swellings i haven't had for days now but they lasted about three weeks. Anyhow, if anyone has an actual milk allergy I'd love to know how it all works.

p.s. i forgot to add i had extra tests done and have a large anion gap. meaning i am very acidic in body ph. can allergies cause that? Seeing my family doctor on tuesday.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

You could try the syrup form of the medication. They may not have it. I have heard that allegra might be when I went to look it up. Best bet would be to contact a pharmacist or the manufacturer for more information.

seraphim Contributor

thanks. do you have milk allergy? we have no idea if we have to replace our cookware and what not like with gluten or casein intolerance. my allergy is to a milk protein so it seems like it would?

kareng Grand Master

I'm curious.  What did the allergist say about these things?

seraphim Contributor

She had let the Secretary tell me over the phone. She's not in until tuesday to talk more in depth bout it.

kareng Grand Master

Making a list of questions for her might be a good idea.  I know people with food allergies and there seems to be a range of reactions.  For instance, my BIL is actually allergic to wheat (not a Celiac).  He doesn't worry about the small amount he might get by taking a burger off a bun or an accidental piece of breading in his fries.  The small amount doesn't bother him. If he ate the bun, he would get very stuffy sinuses and very congested and miserable.   But we all know of people with peanut allergies that have a really bad reaction immediately to plain M & M's because they are made on the same machines as peanut ones.

bartfull Rising Star

I don't know how reliable the information is, but when I looked up ph/allergies, some sites suggested that if your ph was high, you were more likely to have allergies. Other sites said that allergies can CAUSE high ph. Livestrong said that people were more likely to be allergic to acidic foods than low ph foods. It seems there MIGHT be some kind of connection.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seraphim Contributor

Oh so much confusion. Hate the waiting game. Guess I'll find out Tuesday.

shadowicewolf Proficient

No I don't. I do know a bit on food allergies and whatnot. :)

A good idea to do, however, if you have environmental allergies is to eat some local honey. It seems to help lessen them to a degree and it also helps with stomach issues. I know if i don't have some every day, my GERD tends to act up a bit more.

seraphim Contributor

Mmm sounds good.Unfortunately I need to be sure I don't have a salicylate issue before I ingest something high like honey.

eblue Apprentice

My brother has a milk allergy. He can use the same cookware as others, as long as it has been washed. And he is pretty darn sensitive. He has had severe emergency reactions before. He cant touch milk or smell anything with milk in it. But the cookware thing is no issue for him. However, I am no expert-Im just saying what I know from his experience. I would deffinately ask a dr to be sure

cyclinglady Grand Master

I don't really know if this is the right section for this...I'll let the moderators decide ultimately. I've been wicked sick since xmas. Seems to be salicylates but i decided an allergist was the best course of action after developing hives and patches of swelling in my hands and feet. It looks like there isn't that much listed that she tested me for but i do have slight allergies to shrimp, cockroaches and a bigger one to milk. I knew i might have a milk intolerance but never dreamed I'd be allergic. Anyhow i was looking at antihistamines and most seem to have lactose. Is this safe for those with milk allergy? I have no idea if the protein lingers. Next i need to find someone who can test me for allergies to the all natural ingredients in my red apple lipstick lip gloss. My hives and swellings began after putting that on. My lips didn't swell but other areas did. the allergist said she couldn't test those ingredients (shea butter and castor oil etc.) but i need to make sure if I'm allergic to something or if it's salicylates in order to know the right course of action. The hives and swellings i haven't had for days now but they lasted about three weeks. Anyhow, if anyone has an actual milk allergy I'd love to know how it all works.

p.s. i forgot to add i had extra tests done and have a large anion gap. meaning i am very acidic in body ph. can allergies cause that? Seeing my family doctor on tuesday.

I  tested high for cow's milk casein and whey about 15 years ago).  Strict avoidance is your best bet.  Eventually, (hopefully), your body will "calm" down and you might be able to consume tiny amounts (by mistake).  I don't have to worry about cc in the kitchen with milk as I do with gluten.  

Although I'm allergic to lots of things, I rarely use antihistamines.  The one product that I keep on hand is a Costco brand that's comparable to Benadryl (I mostly use it for my dog!)  It does not contact lactose.  But lactose is a milk sugar.  So, that would not bother me.  I suppose I probably have a lactose intolerance now, that I have Celiac's or 'cause I'm just plain old simply because I've lost the ability to digest it -- the old "use it or lose it" factor.

Avoidance is best because it's in your power.  I rely only on an antihistamine when I get exposed to my  environmental allergies (e.g tree pollen or cats) and only when I'm extremely miserable (constant sneezing, itching).  I tend to react to lots of medications (several ER visits) and I do my best to avoid them.  

Hummm....you're not using any latex are you? That makes my feet and hands swell (socks or gloves).  Even a bandage causes itching and swelling.  And finally, even though it's summer here, I get swelling and hives from cold temperatures (e.g. swimming in the Pacific). 

seraphim Contributor

Thanks everyone. My hubby looked online after and found out cookware that reaches....I think 250F is definitely okay because it changes the protein? Either way I'm not too concerned. Was very sick all week so I'll get in touch with my allergist next week hopefully. She was suppose to call me but never did.

StephanieL Enthusiast

If you have been eating something for years with no reaction, you aren't allergic to it. If you drink milk and eat shrimp there is no reason you need to remove it unless you have issues with it. 

Allergy testing is about 50% accurate for a positive. So you can test positive to things you eat all the time. 

Also, many Dr's can create a scratch test with the item you want tested if you give it to them with food. Perhaps your Dr. could try that?

seraphim Contributor

I do have an allergy.

glutenfree7562 Newbie

I have a milk allergy as well and I have never worried about CC with pans and I have never had a problem. My whole family eats dairy and I share the same pots and pans :) don't take stuff with lactose either, there are tons if options without it!

Archived