Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Am I A Mean Mom?

15 posts in this topic

My 10 year old found a package of gum near a playground, on the ground, while out biking with my husband. He brought it home excited that hehad his own pack of gum. I didn't feel comfortable letting him keep the gum because it was opened and a few pieces were missing. I know it's very unlikely it's been tampered with but I took it away and promised him a new pack this week. My hubby gave me "the look" and said he thought it should be okay. I think eating someone else's opened food is gross, and possibly risky.

So am I a mean mom? I know I'm a bit paranoid, but I'm not worried about that part. LOL ;)

Ads by Google:

Of course you are a mean mom! Anytime we don't do what they want, we are mean. That has nothing to do with this. You are married to a disgusting and cheap man! That's what this is about. 
:D 
You don't eat food you find. It could be tampered with but, more realistically, it could have been peed on by a dog and dried, picked up and carried around by a dog, it could be stale, etc.

Tell your hub to open his tight wallet and spend a buck and a half and get the kid some nice fresh gum of his own. 10 year olds should have their own gum and not have to look thru the trash ( stuff thrown on the ground is just as much trash as if it was in a can) in order to get some.

Mean?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Wise?

heck, YES!

Sorry, but your hubs is not thinking straight....who the heck eats discarded gum ?

or any food left on the ground for that matter?

Yuck!

Gross! Open gum? You totally did the right thing.

husband says:  hell, no!  and that's from a guy who rubs dirt in his boo-boos lolz

LOL. :D I feel better about being mean now. Thanks.

I think that it is not mean to stop your child from sticking their finger in a socket.  It is loving.  I wouldn't let them chew gum found laying around.  It could be tough, though, I understand the feeling of saying "No".  Men just don't always think about such things, I think.

I hope that your husband's attitude is not typical for him.  That doesn't bode will for the level of care required with a celiac child.

You are not a mean mom.  It is the same or worse than eating out of a garbage can.  They made a Seinfeld episode about that.

I would do exactly the same. Good Mom in my book :)

Thanks.  :) LOL

He got his new pack of gum so now he is happy.  :rolleyes:

:wub:  a happy ending!!  :D  I haven't had gum in a few years. Liked to blow big ole bubbles!!! My dentist yelled at me. Can't have any fun..

:wub:  a happy ending!!  :D  I haven't had gum in a few years. Liked to blow big ole bubbles!!! My dentist yelled at me. Can't have any fun..

LOL

My older boys had a few cavities and my dentist told them they can chew gum with Xylitol and it might help reduce cavities.... the boys won't let me forget that piece of advice. :rolleyes:

My 10 year old found a package of gum near a playground, on the ground, while out biking with my husband. He brought it home excited that hehad his own pack of gum. I didn't feel comfortable letting him keep the gum because it was opened and a few pieces were missing. I know it's very unlikely it's been tampered with but I took it away and promised him a new pack this week. My hubby gave me "the look" and said he thought it should be okay. I think eating someone else's opened food is gross, and possibly risky.

So am I a mean mom? I know I'm a bit paranoid, but I'm not worried about that part. LOL ;)

You're a loving mother! Paranoia comes with parenthood. I think you did the right thing. You can always let your child pick out a brand new pack of gum - that would balance it out.

Thanks.  :) LOL

He got his new pack of gum so now he is happy.  :rolleyes:

Didn't see this before my first post. You're an awesome mom!

Didn't see this before my first post. You're an awesome mom!

Thanks.   :wub:  That's nice of you to say.