• Please log in to reply

14 replies to this topic

#1 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

My 10 year old found a package of gum near a playground, on the ground, while out biking with my husband. He brought it home excited that hehad his own pack of gum. I didn't feel comfortable letting him keep the gum because it was opened and a few pieces were missing. I know it's very unlikely it's been tampered with but I took it away and promised him a new pack this week. My hubby gave me "the look" and said he thought it should be okay. I think eating someone else's opened food is gross, and possibly risky.

So am I a mean mom? I know I'm a bit paranoid, but I'm not worried about that part. LOL ;)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,237 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Of course you are a mean mom! Anytime we don't do what they want, we are mean. That has nothing to do with this. You are married to a disgusting and cheap man! That's what this is about. 
:D 
You don't eat food you find. It could be tampered with but, more realistically, it could have been peed on by a dog and dried, picked up and carried around by a dog, it could be stale, etc.

Tell your hub to open his tight wallet and spend a buck and a half and get the kid some nice fresh gum of his own. 10 year olds should have their own gum and not have to look thru the trash ( stuff thrown on the ground is just as much trash as if it was in a can) in order to get some.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Mean?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Wise?

heck, YES!

Sorry, but your hubs is not thinking straight....who the heck eats discarded gum ?

or any food left on the ground for that matter?

Yuck!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 MissyBB

MissyBB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

Gross! Open gum? You totally did the right thing.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

~Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 – 1860)

#5 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

husband says:  hell, no!  and that's from a guy who rubs dirt in his boo-boos lolz

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

LOL. :D I feel better about being mean now. Thanks.
Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#7 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

I think that it is not mean to stop your child from sticking their finger in a socket.  It is loving.  I wouldn't let them chew gum found laying around.  It could be tough, though, I understand the feeling of saying "No".  Men just don't always think about such things, I think.

#8 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

I hope that your husband's attitude is not typical for him.  That doesn't bode will for the level of care required with a celiac child.

You are not a mean mom.  It is the same or worse than eating out of a garbage can.  They made a Seinfeld episode about that.

#9 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:13 AM

I would do exactly the same. Good Mom in my book :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#10 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thanks.  :) LOL

He got his new pack of gum so now he is happy.  :rolleyes:

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

:wub:  a happy ending!!  :D  I haven't had gum in a few years. Liked to blow big ole bubbles!!! My dentist yelled at me. Can't have any fun..

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

:wub:  a happy ending!!  :D  I haven't had gum in a few years. Liked to blow big ole bubbles!!! My dentist yelled at me. Can't have any fun..

LOL

My older boys had a few cavities and my dentist told them they can chew gum with Xylitol and it might help reduce cavities.... the boys won't let me forget that piece of advice. :rolleyes:

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#13 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

My 10 year old found a package of gum near a playground, on the ground, while out biking with my husband. He brought it home excited that hehad his own pack of gum. I didn't feel comfortable letting him keep the gum because it was opened and a few pieces were missing. I know it's very unlikely it's been tampered with but I took it away and promised him a new pack this week. My hubby gave me "the look" and said he thought it should be okay. I think eating someone else's opened food is gross, and possibly risky.
So am I a mean mom? I know I'm a bit paranoid, but I'm not worried about that part. LOL ;)

You're a loving mother! Paranoia comes with parenthood. I think you did the right thing. You can always let your child pick out a brand new pack of gum - that would balance it out.

#14 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

Thanks.  :) LOL

He got his new pack of gum so now he is happy.  :rolleyes:

Didn't see this before my first post. You're an awesome mom!

#15 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Didn't see this before my first post. You're an awesome mom!

Thanks.   :wub:  That's nice of you to say.

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: