Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Long After Contamination Do You Get Your Rash?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 janpell

janpell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

A friend made us a treat with oats and now I have a rash on my cheeks. It probably started to show 3-4 days after consuming the oats. I have quite a few food sensitivities and am trying to determine if it was contaminated oats or a couple of new foods I tried out. Thanks. Just not sure if 3-4 days seem like a long time to react and maybe it was something else?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

I can't answer you b/c I have not been contaminated. YAY! I have read anywhere from almost immediately to 48 hours but that's just in med texts. Med texts can be right or wrong or not tell the whole picture. Did the friend use certified gluten free oats? Or did they use Quaker oats? Quaker oats are cc'd from what I understand. Any oats that are not certified gluten-free oats are contaminated. Oats are grown & harvested alongside wheat & using the same equipment at the same time of year & then processed in the same facility so they are not safe for us. Cert. gluten-free oats are grown away from wheat fields & harvested & processed with clean equipment & in clean facilities.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 wmramsel

wmramsel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

My daughter reacts same day or within the next 2 days.  It varies :(

#4 janpell

janpell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Thanks. The sores didn't happen until the 4th day. I was thinking yesterday it might be shingles but after eating very clean they have really cleared so I don't think it is shingles. Last time I saw the doctor on this issue (18 months ago) he said it was something hormonal and not food so I didn't bother to see him again. Plus my psoriasis reared it's head over the past few days so, yep, it was the oats I am guessing. Always been a late bloomer....

#5 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Yeah mine usually is immediate if its gluten in topical stuff --- well other than the cracks on the corners of my mouth, that usually takes a little time to develop...  Ingested, it varies...  Usually before the day's out though.

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: