21 replies to this topic

#16 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

Well then, I would look forward to eventually getting sued if this is an actual day care situation. Celiac is covered under the ADA so if you are looking to get into it with the OCR, have at it!

This isn't about a sterileGF environment, this is about GIVING  a child a cracker cause it didn't say "gluten". That's a big DUH on the schools part.  I agree with trying a written letter explaining things. I would also be on the hunt for a daycare that gets it because contrary to MissyBB's statements, they do exist.

If it is not publicly funded, how would it be a problem?  a private provider can take whom they choose, yes?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

If ANY federal funds are taken in (I believe this includes vouchers) they are required to follow ADA laws.

#18 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,040 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

If ANY federal funds are taken in (I believe this includes vouchers) they are required to follow ADA laws.

I'm not going to argue the many many different facets of the ADA laws.  There is a facet of it pertaining to "reasonable accommodations".    It might be unreasonable to expect a day care to take a child with a medical condition that would require major accommodations.    We and the courts could argue for years if feeding a Celiac child safely is a reasonable or un-reasonable financial burden on a day care. 

I'm sure many day cares would try very hard to accommodate a Celiac child on their own.  The problem of the OP was that she had caught them 3 times feeding her child a wheat based snack (who know how many other times they may have done it when she didn't catch them). 

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Top 8 free would help many cases but there are always oddball allergies and gluten and diabetic kids.

true dat.  

i watch my brother's kids, the kid next-door, my grandson, and whatever kids wander over.  and i watch the kids at church in the 'nursery' which is actually whatever age parents don't feel like making the kids sit still through the worship service.  i am the ONLY ONE who asks if they are allergic to anything, and i hand out cookies  :o and read labels (just my neice is allergic so far)  but i get visitors' kids in there and it always makes me nervous.  i hand out suckers if everybody is good and helps to clean up and they are dum-dums <allergy free but not sugar free!  aaaaahhhhh!!  (i wash my hands every 2 seconds in there lolz)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

I agree that this isn't a case about ADA law. This is 100% about teaching the daycare and/or pulling the child if they are unable to not feed her crackers when her parents are sending her food in to keep her safe. 

The ADA was a different tangent. The ADA does cover Celiac and schools have been made to provide accommodations including providing gluten free meals to students with Celiac. I don't see not feeding the kid things that her parents didn't send in as unreasonable. 

#21 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

I agree that this isn't a case about ADA law. This is 100% about teaching the daycare and/or pulling the child if they are unable to not feed her crackers when her parents are sending her food in to keep her safe. 

The ADA was a different tangent. The ADA does cover Celiac and schools have been made to provide accommodations including providing gluten free meals to students with Celiac. I don't see not feeding the kid things that her parents didn't send in as unreasonable. 

the kid is legally obligated to be in school, day care, no.  and it isn't the feeding, it is the incidentals that are not overtly containable.

#22 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

There is ADA law involving food issues in day care vs. school. 

The feeding IS the issue with the OP though. That's the problem stated here. I won't continue to muddy things with talk of other things since it's irrelevant to the OP.

Sorry for getting things off track OP. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: