Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Someone Help Me Differentiate Between Salicylate And Histamine Intolerance?

• Please log in to reply

38 replies to this topic

#1 seraphim

seraphim

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Okay so I had reason to think I might have a problem with sals. However benzoates like in my cleure toothpaste don't seem to bother me like they seem to bother most sal sensitive that I talked to. (Cleure is suppose to be sal free but apparently not completely...I've also seen avocado in their products. Apparently their focus is for ppl with fibromyalgia). Well anyhow....after I had a reaction to something in lip gloss I decided to keep drinking almond milk and having broccoli. I never swelled again (though it did happen later after giving both up.) But I still got a few hives and itchy red blotches. So after a few days of this continuing I figured I should try giving up the broccoli and almond milk....but stuff kept happening. The day after I gave it up me and my husband were out for a drive and he bought glutino cheese crackers. Within an hour of smelling it my knuckles started itching and swelled. I figured it could be the spices like rosemary. Fast forward almost four weeks and I wound up with three or four more swelling episodes and a bunch of the hives (almost every day). I did notice I was getting cold  urticria. Whenever the air conditioner was on in the car I got itchy raised sore blotches all up and down my arms. Not that I think air conditioner in general did it but I felt cold and didn't bother turning it down as we were almost home anyhow. Thing is I tried the ice cube test for three minutes....there was no welt only a red ring of the edges of the ice cube.

So I guess my question is...what do you all think I should be looking into? I would do an elimination diet right now but I'm horribly sick and malnourished so I'm going to eat moderate sals for a while to get my vitamins. I'm having serious doubts it's sals right now as most have said their worst reactions only typically last a week at most. Not that I expect to find a definite answer here....I'm just curious as to people's thoughts. I know one reaction of hives can last six weeks or more but this was just weird. Not to mention I had broccoli memorial day afternoon and nothing happened whatsoever.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

A simple google search will help you find this information.

Not many people on this forum have  a histamine and salicylate intolerance.

Foods high in histamine and the symptoms associated with HIT

http://www.allergyuk...ine-intolerance

Foods high in salicyaltes and symptoms associated with SI

http://www.millhouse...es_in_foods.pdf

I am going to ask the obvious question here: Have you seen an allergist?

Immediate reactions like these "bumps" appear to be an allergic reaction, not an intolerance.

There is a huge difference.

Fresh meat, fish, shellfish, dairy, eggs, gluten-free cereals and gluten-free breads are low in sals.

From all you have told me, you are not eating enough protein. Just eating vegetables and almond milk is not nourishment.

Cleure products are salicylate-free. They could never market themselves this way if that were not the case.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

i know it sounds like an allergy right? but my allergist claims the all natural ingredients can't be tested. but they are all very common. Lots of sals sensitive people have hives too so I'm trying to figure out what it was i might b allergic to so i can avoid it in the future. unfortunately the allergist s being no help. The reason why i decided to ask here is that typically the experience of an illness is much different than how it often comes across with a series of symptoms.  As for Cleure I'd like to know what food list they saw that says avacado is low. I've talked to a few  now that avacado would definitely set off. I use them but you can't y Sal free  if it's not. lower sal than most make up yes. Either way it's not of much concern to me at the moment. For protein I've eaten a lot of beans and according to my intake it seems to be enough.

#4 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

just read the first link. thank you. the other seems to be a pdf and won't load. i will open it later on my desktop.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

The reason why i decided to ask here is that typically the experience of an illness is much different than how it often comes across with a series of symptoms.  

I really do not understand this sentence, hon

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

As for Cleure I'd like to know what food list they saw that says avacado is low. I've talked to a few  now that avacado would definitely set off. I use them but you can't y Sal free  if it's not.

which product has avocado in it? have you asked the company about this?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

For protein I've eaten a lot of beans and according to my intake it seems to be enough.

beans are good protein, yes. But what else do you eat for protein?  You are expressing concerns about malnourishment and maybe we can help you broaden your protein intake with some suggestions.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#8 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Sorry. Sometimes you get a better idea of how a certain illness operates by talking to people who have had it. Sometimes a simple list of symptoms can be misleading. I know people who eat low sal but many are not gluten free so i hoped someone who is might be here as I've seen some posts in the past on it. If i were to go by  I've already talked to....I'm left feeling hopeless like I'm stuck and will never get out of thethe low sal hole. If it is my problem in the end....my body will hate me. It's simply not a realistic diet in my opinion :(

#9 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

avacado butter in their mineral lipstick. i have not yet no. plan to.

#10 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

i have not had any other protein since feb :(

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

ANY diet that severely limits food groups and choices without an adequate nutritional substitute is not realistic or healthy.

Sal and histamine intolerances require finding your tolerance level, not eliminating every food under the sun.

Read the links I gave you, please.

Why can't you eat any other proteins? 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

I was eating beef in february and ended up turned off. was going to have some omaha steaks stuff but our order got flubbed then this ill feeling of not being able to eat hit me and so i haven't fixed up our order yet. i was concerned about my b12.

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

I honestly think you need to add meats, fish, poultry, eggs to your diet, IMHO.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

i agree :( wholeheartedly.....but....i dunno if i can stomach at the moment. wouldn't hurt to re order though.

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

start small. Eat a beef patty or some broiled chicken. 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: