Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Someone Help Me Differentiate Between Salicylate And Histamine Intolerance?

• Please log in to reply

38 replies to this topic

#16 seraphim

seraphim

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

yeah. one thing that also worries me....my body is very acidic right now and it's hard to find much variety in alkaline low sal foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

How exactly do you measure acidity in your body?? 

the foods I just mentioned have no sals in them!! you can eat all of them

see this chart?? 

Negligible levels of salicylates

Chicken

Eggs

Fish

Lamb

Organ meats

Rabbit

Sausage casing

Scallops

Tripe

Veal

it's from here

http://salicylatesen...ood-guide/meat/

I feel as if every suggestion I offer, you have a reason why it's not a good one.

I offered you everything I know about these food intolerances.

Read up on the lists. Hope it helps.

I have to get some sleep. Good night! Take care!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

My blood test showed above referance range anion gap. Also...unrelated to acidity i think...low lymphocytes and high monocytes.

#19 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

i know meats are low. i was just referancing alkaline low sal foods because i am already acidic and meats are acidic. i don't want to get worse so i need to figure out some alkaline.

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

The anion gap is an indicator of acidosis. This is not the same as saying "my body is acidic".  Those are two entirely different things.

Let your doctor go over the test results with you before you assume anything.

Levels on blood tests fluctuate often.

If your anion gap was so high you would have acidosis, from diabetes (which you don't have ) or kidney disease (which you don't have either)

Do not assume things until you sit with the doctor and go over your blood work.

that's my best advice. Good night.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#21 Lima Bean

Lima Bean

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

yeah. one thing that also worries me....my body is very acidic right now and it's hard to find much variety in alkaline low sal foods.

I have never found any real info about people being "acidic".  It is usually just these fringe "doctors" that like to say that stuff. 

All you food mixes with acid in your stomach at the start of digestion so I guess it would become acidic then. 

Sounds like you just need to force yourself to eat a little bit every hour or so until your body get used to eating.  When a person has been starving themselves, it can be hard to digest anything and you may just have to force yourself for a while.  If you are really "turned off" by eating, you might want to look for some eating disorder counseling and dieticians.  They know how to help you start the healthy eating process.

#22 Lima Bean

Lima Bean

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

I knew I had found something about this on WebMD when someone was trying to sell me something related to this nonsense.

http://www.webmd.com...ts-what-to-know

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

i know meats are low. i was just referancing alkaline low sal foods because i am already acidic and meats are acidic. i don't want to get worse so i need to figure out some alkaline.

The alkaline diet could  over-restrict protein and calcium, though. Not a good idea unless it is supervised by a medical doctor. (that article Lima Bean posted explains it in detail)

By the way. I asked you this last night. but you did not really answer me--who told you that your body is "acidic"?

Your body's pH is not something indicated in the anion gap result you are worried about.

I hope your doctor will see you soon and explain the blood work results to you.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#24 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

avacado butter in their mineral lipstick. i have not yet no. plan to.

I have severe reaction to avocado -- anaphylaxis - but do NOT blood or scratch allergy test positive....this is caused by Histamine Intolerance.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#25 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

My blood test showed above referance range anion gap. Also...unrelated to acidity i think...low lymphocytes and high monocytes.

Still think you need to talk to a good internist and allergist about your blood tests -- we can't look at all your results here and we are not doctors....

Google is very helpful, but be careful not to react too quickly to info you find on the net....if you think you have found something that relates to your specific symptoms -- research further -- try to find published papers or at least university medical center info rather than blogs.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#26 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

I knew I had found something about this on WebMD when someone was trying to sell me something related to this nonsense.

http://www.webmd.com...ts-what-to-know

this is very interesting.unfortunately my doctor says everyone should only have meat a oouple times a week.

#27 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

The alkaline diet could  over-restrict protein and calcium, though. Not a good idea unless it is supervised by a medical doctor. (that article Lima Bean posted explains it in detail)

By the way. I asked you this last night. but you did not really answer me--who told you that your body is "acidic"?

Your body's pH is not something indicated in the anion gap result you are worried about.

I hope your doctor will see you soon and explain the blood work results to you.

i thought  anion gap involved ph because i read that it represents the gap between acid and base.Though diabetes is something  fear because three out of four of my grandparents have it. I'm more so worried about cancers because my lymphocytes are so low and monocytes high. But i am trying very hard to keep your advice in mind about the doctor.

#28 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

Still think you need to talk to a good internist and allergist about your blood tests -- we can't look at all your results here and we are not doctors....

Google is very helpful, but be careful not to react too quickly to info you find on the net....if you think you have found something that relates to your specific symptoms -- research further -- try to find published papers or at least university medical center info rather than blogs.

i agree. my allergist left me hanging all on my own...family doctor is overbooked. very frustrating. i agree about google but find my faith in simply trusting doctors after i was told i may be hypothyroid. I then read the tsh only nonsense and most of the useful info i found was google. the  doctor was clueless. originally he didnt even test my free t 4 let alone t3. when i asked why he didn't test antibodies he claimed it didnt matter.

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:46 AM

i thought  anion gap involved ph because i read that it represents the gap between acid and base.Though diabetes is something  fear because three out of four of my grandparents have it. I'm more so worried about cancers because my lymphocytes are so low and monocytes high. But i am trying very hard to keep your advice in mind about the doctor.

No, that is not what the anion gap represents.

My sister and other relatives have diabetes, but I don't.

They have all sorts of diseases I do not have.

If you had obvious signs of diabetes, I am sure your doctor would be on top of it.

For starters, you'd be spilling sugar in your urine.

It does not mean you will develop it just because other relatives have it.

Do not try to diagnose yourself with various health problems from reading lab test info on the internet, okay?  :)

You really, really need to stop reading things on the internet and assuming you have all these dangerous diseases. You are creating so much stress for yourself and that is surely helping to fuel the bowel and hives issues.

Trust me on this.

If you do not want to eat meat, eat fish or chicken. You need protein and you need to stop making excuses

for why you are not eating healthy foods or you will never stop being malnourished.. 

What kind of doctor are you seeing if your allergist is "no help" and your family doctor is unavailable???

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

this is very interesting.unfortunately my doctor says everyone should only have meat a oouple times a week.

Interesting....the only thing you took out of this was about the meat.  You didn't get the point I think she was trying to make - the acidity in your body stuff is nonsense and to start eating something.

Really...in all your other posts, you say your doctors don't know what they are talking about.  You go off and diagnosis yourself.  Yet, you want to take the one thing he said about food and use it to limit yourself. If your doctor knew you were eating nothing, I'm sure he wouldn't care that you ate meat everyday - 4 times a day.

I really was trying to stay out of this but, to me, you really seem to need help. Everything is about controlling your food intake.  You find new "diseases" that will limit what foods you can eat.  You read a whole article that explains that it doesn't matter what you eat, there is no acidic body.  Yet the only part of the link that you get notice about is eating a food and you find a reason not to eat it.

You don't want to add foods that have any real calories - like chicken.  You want to add a new vegetable with almost no calories.  At this point, any food you add will give you some bloating or gas, etc as your digestive system is probably off balance due to the odd way you have been eating for the last year? 2 years? more?

I'm betting you had an eating disorder before?  Either way... I think the advice to see a counselor might be a good idea.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: