This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Someone Help Me Differentiate Between Salicylate And Histamine Intolerance?

seraphim

seraphim Contributor

I knew I had found something about this on WebMD when someone was trying to sell me something related to this nonsense.

Open Original Shared Link

this is very interesting.unfortunately my doctor says everyone should only have meat a oouple times a week.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seraphim Contributor

The alkaline diet could  over-restrict protein and calcium, though. Not a good idea unless it is supervised by a medical doctor. (that article Lima Bean posted explains it in detail)

By the way. I asked you this last night. but you did not really answer me--who told you that your body is "acidic"?

Your body's pH is not something indicated in the anion gap result you are worried about.

I hope your doctor will see you soon and explain the blood work results to you.

i thought  anion gap involved ph because i read that it represents the gap between acid and base.Though diabetes is something  fear because three out of four of my grandparents have it. I'm more so worried about cancers because my lymphocytes are so low and monocytes high. But i am trying very hard to keep your advice in mind about the doctor.

seraphim Contributor

Still think you need to talk to a good internist and allergist about your blood tests -- we can't look at all your results here and we are not doctors....

Google is very helpful, but be careful not to react too quickly to info you find on the net....if you think you have found something that relates to your specific symptoms -- research further -- try to find published papers or at least university medical center info rather than blogs.

i agree. my allergist left me hanging all on my own...family doctor is overbooked. very frustrating. i agree about google but find my faith in simply trusting doctors after i was told i may be hypothyroid. I then read the tsh only nonsense and most of the useful info i found was google. the  doctor was clueless. originally he didnt even test my free t 4 let alone t3. when i asked why he didn't test antibodies he claimed it didnt matter.

IrishHeart Veteran

i thought  anion gap involved ph because i read that it represents the gap between acid and base.Though diabetes is something  fear because three out of four of my grandparents have it. I'm more so worried about cancers because my lymphocytes are so low and monocytes high. But i am trying very hard to keep your advice in mind about the doctor.

No, that is not what the anion gap represents.

My sister and other relatives have diabetes, but I don't.

They have all sorts of diseases I do not have.

If you had obvious signs of diabetes, I am sure your doctor would be on top of it.

For starters, you'd be spilling sugar in your urine.

It does not mean you will develop it just because other relatives have it.

Do not try to diagnose yourself with various health problems from reading lab test info on the internet, okay?  :)

You really, really need to stop reading things on the internet and assuming you have all these dangerous diseases. You are creating so much stress for yourself and that is surely helping to fuel the bowel and hives issues.

Trust me on this.

If you do not want to eat meat, eat fish or chicken. You need protein and you need to stop making excuses

for why you are not eating healthy foods or you will never stop being malnourished.. 

What kind of doctor are you seeing if your allergist is "no help" and your family doctor is unavailable???

kareng Grand Master

this is very interesting.unfortunately my doctor says everyone should only have meat a oouple times a week.

Interesting....the only thing you took out of this was about the meat.  You didn't get the point I think she was trying to make - the acidity in your body stuff is nonsense and to start eating something.

Really...in all your other posts, you say your doctors don't know what they are talking about.  You go off and diagnosis yourself.  Yet, you want to take the one thing he said about food and use it to limit yourself. If your doctor knew you were eating nothing, I'm sure he wouldn't care that you ate meat everyday - 4 times a day.

I really was trying to stay out of this but, to me, you really seem to need help. Everything is about controlling your food intake.  You find new "diseases" that will limit what foods you can eat.  You read a whole article that explains that it doesn't matter what you eat, there is no acidic body.  Yet the only part of the link that you get notice about is eating a food and you find a reason not to eat it.

You don't want to add foods that have any real calories - like chicken.  You want to add a new vegetable with almost no calories.  At this point, any food you add will give you some bloating or gas, etc as your digestive system is probably off balance due to the odd way you have been eating for the last year? 2 years? more?

I'm betting you had an eating disorder before?  Either way... I think the advice to see a counselor might be a good idea.

seraphim Contributor

No, that is not what the anion gap represents.

My sister and other relatives have diabetes, but I don't.

They have all sorts of diseases I do not have.

If you had obvious signs of diabetes, I am sure your doctor would be on top of it.

For starters, you'd be spilling sugar in your urine.

It does not mean you will develop it just because other relatives have it.

Do not try to diagnose yourself with various health problems from reading lab test info on the internet, okay?  :)

You really, really need to stop reading things on the internet and assuming you have all these dangerous diseases. You are creating so much stress for yourself and that is surely helping to fuel the bowel and hives issues.

Trust me on this.

If you do not want to eat meat, eat fish or chicken. You need protein and you need to stop making excuses

for why you are not eating healthy foods or you will never stop being malnourished.. 

What kind of doctor are you seeing if your allergist is "no help" and your family doctor is unavailable???

I agree. My husband has glucose show up on home urine tests sometimes but I never have. I ordered omaha steaks last night. Also had sweet potato for the first time in nine months today. Also had carrot and parsnip.

My allergist I have no idea what's going on there. Family doctor overbooked and is now unavailable till after fourth of July.

seraphim Contributor

Interesting....the only thing you took out of this was about the meat.  You didn't get the point I think she was trying to make - the acidity in your body stuff is nonsense and to start eating something.

Really...in all your other posts, you say your doctors don't know what they are talking about.  You go off and diagnosis yourself.  Yet, you want to take the one thing he said about food and use it to limit yourself. If your doctor knew you were eating nothing, I'm sure he wouldn't care that you ate meat everyday - 4 times a day.

I really was trying to stay out of this but, to me, you really seem to need help. Everything is about controlling your food intake.  You find new "diseases" that will limit what foods you can eat.  You read a whole article that explains that it doesn't matter what you eat, there is no acidic body.  Yet the only part of the link that you get notice about is eating a food and you find a reason not to eat it.

You don't want to add foods that have any real calories - like chicken.  You want to add a new vegetable with almost no calories.  At this point, any food you add will give you some bloating or gas, etc as your digestive system is probably off balance due to the odd way you have been eating for the last year? 2 years? more?

I'm betting you had an eating disorder before?  Either way... I think the advice to see a counselor might be a good idea.

Wow. I know I have anxiety but you're making a few assumptions here. NO I've never had an eating disorder. I had hives and I was eating veggies I loved. The doctor isn't ok with meat that much thanks. Know how I know? Because though previous blood tests were healthy he told me to go on a practically vegetarian diet. I said to him myself that if I did that the fiber would be insane but he insisted it was the better way to eat. I added vegetables because I'm very low in potassium and various vitamins and minerals. I will be getting protein soon but potassium is directly related to my heart and how weak I am right now.And it's been nine months for certain foods..six for others and three to four for meat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Wow. I know I have anxiety but you're making a few assumptions here. NO I've never had an eating disorder. I had hives and I was eating veggies I loved. The doctor isn't ok with meat that much thanks. Know how I know? Because though previous blood tests were healthy he told me to go on a practically vegetarian diet. I said to him myself that if I did that the fiber would be insane but he insisted it was the better way to eat. I added vegetables because I'm very low in potassium and various vitamins and minerals. I will be getting protein soon but potassium is directly related to my heart and how weak I am right now.And it's been nine months for certain foods..six for others and three to four for meat.

You have been saying that you aren't eating anything but a couple of things which do not add up to a heart healthy diet.  I doubt he meant for you to cut all food out.  That is not good for your heart, anxiety, mood, muscles, etc. Of course you are low in vitamins, etc...you don't eat.

I'm not really sure what is wrong with you or if you are just playing with us.  Whatever it is, it does not appear to be anything a Celiac forum or I  can help you with at this time.  Good luck to you  and I hope you get yourself straightened out soon.

GottaSki Mentor

Karen is not the only one that has trouble with this doctor telling you not to eat meat.  Of all the doctors I have been to over the years very few were ever concerned with my diet other than the old "calories in - calories out" statement.

I also agree that a celiac forum cannot help.  Many of us have answered your questions for a very long time -- and those answers are consistently dismissed.

As always I suggest for anyone struggling with multiple intolerances:

Find whole foods at the grocery store and eat them.  That means meat, fish, veggies, fruit -- NO processed foods.  Eat small quantities several times a day.  For now food is medicine, not for enjoyment -- once you find foods that make you strong -- eat them until you have the energy to make them more appealing.  I know this takes a lot of work and doesn't always taste good -- but I promise it is worth it.  I am strong for the first time in over a decade and now have the energy to create many yummy treats from the very limited list of foods I can eat.

IrishHeart Veteran

Karen is not the only one that has trouble with this doctor telling you not to eat meat.  Of all the doctors I have been to over the years very few were ever concerned with my diet other than the old "calories in - calories out" statement.

I also agree that a celiac forum cannot help.  Many of us have answered your questions for a very long time -- and those answers are consistently dismissed.

Find whole foods at the grocery store and eat them.  That means meat, fish, veggies, fruit -- NO processed foods.  Eat small quantities several times a day.  For now food is medicine, not for enjoyment -- once you find foods that make you strong -- eat them until you have the energy to make them more appealing.  I know this takes a lot of work and doesn't always taste good -- but I promise it is worth it.  I am strong for the first time in over a decade and now have the energy to create many yummy treats from the very limited list of foods I can eat.

This is almost exactly what I have been suggesting to you as well, right?

I sincerely hope you understand what all of us have been telling you

for so long and that you relax and stop  questioning "what ELSE could it be?" and just eat whole, nutritious foods and get well.

It's what many of us with multiple food intolerances have done and we're all much better now.

I gave you several lists to follow if you wish. (low histamine, low sals, and the elimination diet for multiple chemical sensitivities) They all include healthy proteins like meat, chicken and fish.

If your blood work results had been alarming in any way, even with a busy schedule, your doctor would have called you right away.

Best wishes to you.

seraphim Contributor

You have been saying that you aren't eating anything but a couple of things which do not add up to a heart healthy diet.  I doubt he meant for you to cut all food out.  That is not good for your heart, anxiety, mood, muscles, etc. Of course you are low in vitamins, etc...you don't eat.

I'm not really sure what is wrong with you or if you are just playing with us.  Whatever it is, it does not appear to be anything a Celiac forum or I  can help you with at this time.  Good luck to you  and I hope you get yourself straightened out soon.

Playing with you? I went gluten free last year and other problems started after that. Sorry I was under the impression it was a support forum. I ended up on such a limited diet because my appetite went awry. Believe me I want to eat everything out there. I'm not doing it because of the doctors suggestions I think he's nuts to suggest that.  I haven't had anything in so long because I have to choke everything down and am nervous I might have a salicylate issue that reared it's ugly head after going gluten free. If you have a problem with it then don't read my topic. Simple. There are other celiac I've seen type about similar issues ...that's why I bothered at all.

seraphim Contributor

I would really like someone to tell me when I've dismissed any info? I have agreed many times but see my above reply to Karen. I've  been choking down food. It's not about the doctors advice. In fact I managed salmon today.

seraphim Contributor

This is almost exactly what I have been suggesting to you as well, right?

I sincerely hope you understand what all of us have been telling you

for so long and that you relax and stop  questioning "what ELSE could it be?" and just eat whole, nutritious foods and get well.

It's what many of us with multiple food intolerances have done and we're all much better now.

I gave you several lists to follow if you wish. (low histamine, low sals, and the elimination diet for multiple chemical sensitivities) They all include healthy proteins like meat, chicken and fish.

If your blood work results had been alarming in any way, even with a busy schedule, your doctor would have called you right away.

Best wishes to you.

Yes thank you. Had some salmon today. Just hoping the veggies I'm adding don't send me into hives and swelling. Time will tell.

seraphim Contributor

Either way...seems my replies are misconstrued....just because I ask a question in reply to something..or whatever...doesn't mean I'm dismissing anyone. Anyhow..yes, salmon today. Mouth watering. Didn't take choking down but only eating bits at a time as I've been sick all week. I really don't know why people think I'm dismissing...I've agreed many times in this thread...I can't think of when I've disagreed. That being said...thank you all of you. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be sals or something. I'm miserable without sweet potato broccoli and salmon. Especially big thank you to you IH.

P.s. this got worse on my period. Starting calcium and magnesium when they arrive. I think I get more sick at this time because of it. Drinking coconut water and eating sweet potato for potassium at this moment.

P.p.s. I've wanted to eat nothing but whole foods for quite a while now....is there any way to get the right amount of calories without eating tooooonnnnnnns of meat? 

Archived