Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Almost 3 Year Old Endo Today And I Have A Few Questions.

children endoscopy

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 justa

justa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

My toddler since Thanksgiving has been consistently producing a white/cream or khaki color poop. He complains of tummy pain frequently and vomits. His stomach is not rigid. yes gross sorry. 

He will be 3 in August and is 27 pounds and average height. He has thrown up at least 10 separate occurrences and several times here and there one time. He drinks about 20 oz of milk a day or water. He has a pretty heavy wheat and cheese diet. He doesn't care for meats much but does eat lots of veggies and fruit. 

We had his liver tested and it was all fine

We had an ultrasound done and all was fine.

We were told if he throws up one more time we needed to do an endoscopy. He threw up last week 3 times in 2 hours after a nap at the sitters. He empties his tummy each time. So I scheduled the endo.

ENDO was this morning and I was hoping for obvious Celiac but I didn't get that. The images "look" clean as a whistle. I have to wait until Friday to get the biopsy results. They did not do bloodwork yet because they said the ENDO would either tell you or not over blood work.

Does anyone know anything about if the images looks clean and biopsy coming back positive? Does it happen often.

I would just make him Gluten free by myself but my husband won't follow through unless a doctor tells him he needs to do this. BTW this is my allergy child who has terrible eczema skin also. He goes for allergy testing in July.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Have they looked at lactose intolerance?  You might want to look into that.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Make sure you ask for written copies of both the pathology and procedure reports for the endo and if it were my child I would push for a complete celiac antibody panel before removing gluten -- once that is done remove all gluten to see if symptoms improve -- many children improve quickly once gluten is removed.

Here is the complete panel:

Total Serum IgA

tTG - both IgA and IgG

EMA - IgA

DGP - IgA and IgG

the AGA is an older "Gliadin" (gluten protein) test -- optional but if run should also be both IgA and IgG

Hang in there Mom :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 justa

justa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

We are looking at that as well. I talked to the GI today and he said that my child would be throwing up after every time he drank or ate dairy most likely if it was lactose. At this point I am just trying to rule out one thing at a time.

#5 justa

justa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Gottaski- I will most likely do that. He thinks the endoscopy will come back with results but it is 50/50. I am not sure if he saw something he isn't saying but that is what he told us. He said everything visually looked ok and if the tests were negative we would talk about other options. I don't know what that means :) (I mean I technically do... "other options" is what I am referring.)

#6 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

My four-year-old daughter had a clearly positive biopsy, but everything looked normal during the endoscopy itself. The pediatric GI said that he wouldn't expect the damage to be visible in most young children with celiac.

Like your son, she also had lots of vomiting, which started when she was just a few weeks old and exclusively breast feeding. At one point she was having projectile vomiting six or seven times each day and they did an ultrasound to check for pyloric stenosis, but it wasn't that. She also had significant neurological problems and extreme fussiness as an infant, but her GI symptoms didn't really start until she was a toddler. She did have clear problems with dairy too, but removing dairy did not help much overall (while she was still eating gluten).

It's good that the doctor will look into other options (whatever those may be) if the celiac tests are negative. I hope they figure it out soon!

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

#7 mmcc54

mmcc54

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:44 AM

My toddler since Thanksgiving has been consistently producing a white/cream or khaki color poop. He complains of tummy pain frequently and vomits. His stomach is not rigid. yes gross sorry. 

He will be 3 in August and is 27 pounds and average height. He has thrown up at least 10 separate occurrences and several times here and there one time. He drinks about 20 oz of milk a day or water. He has a pretty heavy wheat and cheese diet. He doesn't care for meats much but does eat lots of veggies and fruit. 

We had his liver tested and it was all fine

We had an ultrasound done and all was fine.

We were told if he throws up one more time we needed to do an endoscopy. He threw up last week 3 times in 2 hours after a nap at the sitters. He empties his tummy each time. So I scheduled the endo.

ENDO was this morning and I was hoping for obvious Celiac but I didn't get that. The images "look" clean as a whistle. I have to wait until Friday to get the biopsy results. They did not do bloodwork yet because they said the ENDO would either tell you or not over blood work.

Does anyone know anything about if the images looks clean and biopsy coming back positive? Does it happen often.

I would just make him Gluten free by myself but my husband won't follow through unless a doctor tells him he needs to do this. BTW this is my allergy child who has terrible eczema skin also. He goes for allergy testing in July.

Hi Sorry sorry about your baby :( my one year old just had an endo Tuesday...her GI said on kids young you cant really see damage and that if their is damage its microscopic..so even before she went back he told us that and he said everything looked fine after just like he expected...she had a pos blood test so we did the endo to find out for sure...good luck!

#8 justa

justa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

Mm- thank you. This gives me some relief. While I don't want this diagnosis I welcome it because we can treat it at home. I also think overall it will help our situation.

Thank you for all the replies. I am waiting results :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: