This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Warning About Amy's Frozen Meals

ChamomileTea

ChamomileTea Newbie

Hello all, 

I would just like to warn everyone to not be lulled by the big "Gluten Free" on the front of the box of Amy's frozen dinners. I was, and spent a day in extreme pain and illness. When I looked at the box to make sure I had not misread it, I found a small allergy warning on the back that stated it was processed in a facility that also processes wheat products.. Due to my reaction, there was obviously cross contamination. I just wanted to try and keep anyone else from going through the pain i did. Thanks :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

We all have different degrees of sensitivity for a variety of reasons.  I'm  really sorry that you got sick. :(

I have eaten Amy's frozen meals for many years and they don't seem to bother me.

I assume that you know that the usage of the term "Gluten Free" is strictly voluntary in the US, at this time.  As is the allergin warming.  In listing this information, Amy's gives the customer the option to purchase their product, or not.

Hope your recovery is swift. :) And oh!  I forgot my manners.  WELCOME!

bartfull Rising Star

That's why I read every ingredients label, every time. I even read the label on both packages when I am buying two of the same item. One might be an older package, and one might be newer. The newer package MIGHT have different ingredients because companies often change ingredients based on price and availability.

Paranoid? You bet! But I don't get glutened by accident anymore. :)

notme Experienced

amy's tastes like crap, anyway.  i tried it right in the beginning (once, and then i read the box!  cc!)  and it was disgusting.....

IrishHeart Veteran

amy's tastes like crap, anyway.  i tried it right in the beginning (once, and then i read the box!  cc!)  and it was disgusting.....

:)  could not have said it any better. 

Lisa Mentor

Ohhhh....it's not so bad. :rolleyes:    I mean, what frozen entree is other than what it is.   It's another option for those who work and/or need something fast.

GottaSki Mentor

Ohhhh....it's not so bad. :rolleyes:    I mean, what frozen entree is other than what it is.   It's another option for those who work and/or need something fast.

Hmmm...I'll have to buy one for the boys....still can't do anything processed myself - even when at school, jobsite or office for the day. 

We have tried many other Amy's items in the past -- some are hit and some are miss :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I have had a couple of Amy's pre gluten-free. I liked a couple and hated a couple.

Glutenfreeda makes yummy frozen burritos.

Open Original Shared Link

Lisa Mentor

But...as the OP questioned, did you get sick from eating an Amy's Entree?  Fine dining, it's not.  It's what it is.

kareng Grand Master

But...as the OP questioned, did you get sick from eating an Amy's Entree?  Fine dining, it's not.  It's what it is.

I have had one, maybe 2 since gluten-free and was fine. They are widely available, so if you are traveling, they work well. We were supposed to have a hotel with a full kitchen once. We got there and they had sold the place and it was being remodeled as apartments. Ended up needing something I could eat with a microwave. Glad these things are available. This was pre- Go picnics. And it was what I could find at 9 pm in a strange city.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Chamomile tea, thank you for the warning.  I could have used your advice when I was first diagnosed.  I got glutened even by the Amy's that was not labelled as processed in shared facilities.  I figured out eventually that I am unusually sensitive.  That warning is voluntary just so you know.  Not having it there doesn't mean squat.

I grow my own chamomile. 

Tyria Rookie

I rely on Amy's a lot when I need a quick meal or go to a relative's house.  I've never had a problem with them.  I believe some of their gluten-free meals are processed on shared equipment and some are not, so it pays to read the label on each individual meal.  Yeah, they're not the best tasting things in the world, and most of them are too onion-y for my tastes, but sometimes you have little choice.

Like someone else said, GlutenFreeda's burritos are better than Amy's. Plus, GlutenFreeda actually puts meat in their burritos, so if you're not a vegetarian they're more satisfying than anything by Amy's.

notme Experienced

to each their own, i suppose - and it is a voluntary disclaimer, so who knows what manufacturers *don't* identify a possible chance of cc.   for that reason, i don't eat much processed/pre-packaged food.  i can make a big batch of (whatever) and freeze single portions.  that works better for me.

Serenity1366 Newbie

I think from now on I will look on the websites, cos it's clear as mud.  A pack of Blue Dragons sauce did not state wheat gluten or Allergy information on the back of the pack, but on their website they stated it had wheat gluten and had an allergy warning... then on another page on the some site said it didn't content wheat gluten and it was suitable and showed the cross grain sysmbol.  I am soooo confused :blink: .  My tummy was not - it just didn't like it at all :wacko:

• 5 weeks later...
Marilyn R Community Regular

My roommate bought the Mattar Paneer for me, labeled as gluten-free.  I had it for breakfast and 4 hours later it was like I had consumed a gallon of colonoscopy prep, except the prep doesn't make me vomit.

There is only one thing that makes me react like that:  gluten.    I'd had the same entrée about six months ago, and was fine.  The only saving grace is that I considered running errands and going grocery shopping after breakfast, and decided to stay home instead.  Yay! 

I still have D today, and it feels like I lost a boxing match yesterday.

I'm convinced it was the Amy's because the only food I'd had the day before was whole fruit and homemade chicken vegetable soup made in my gluten-free kitchen. 

Today I was going to e-mail them, but the box has already been picked up by the garbage collectors, and I don't have the lot #, etc.  No more Amy's for me...

AlwaysLearning Collaborator

Thanks for the heads up about Amy's. I noticed one of their items as being labeled gluten free with a big gluten-free label on the shelf (WholeFoods) but skipped it when the box itself didn't clearly state that it was gluten free. I do find that the companies that are dedicated to only making gluten free products are much safer than those that do both.

I've even gotten glutened buying meat from the butcher's counter of my grocery store so I try to stick to prepackaged items that are more likely to come from places that only produce a single type of product or don't have gluten in any of their products. Thankfully, the seafood counter hasn't glutened me ... yet.

laura1959 Apprentice

I have been eating these, figuring I should take it easy and that  I'll do more cooking if I start to feel better in a week or two.  Guess I need to rework this strategy.  

Marilyn R Community Regular

I guess I have brain fog too, since my original msg. said colostomy prep vs. colonoscopy prep.  I just edited it. 

• 6 months later...
Scott D Newbie

Regarding Amy's dinners.... yes, my advice is to STAY AWAY from Amy's.  Unfortunately, their package says "gluten free", when indeed the brand is NOT gluten free. I personally have discovered that Amy's brand NEVER works for me-- I end up sick for days.   

It's a tragedy that any brand, such as this, uses "gluten free" as a marketing tool.  For the beginners - they'll buy Amy's products because of the well-marked package and they'll never know how their body took in gluten.  NO to Amy's brand.

• 3 years later...
Treece68 Rookie

I just noticed this today 3 years later I was looking at the ingredient list for ginger (sadly I am allergic to it), and noticed the shared equipment statement.  I try not to eat frozen premade meals but in a pinch I thought I could eat Amy's now I am sad.

I literally stood in the frozen food section for 15minutes blah.

This is not ok

PinkyGurl Explorer

I'm super sensitive celiac and I have never had issues with Amy's.  One of the few companies I trust shared lines because of their strict cleaning protocols.

Archived