24 replies to this topic

#16 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

I think the thing with Starbucks is that some of the "coffees" you can buy at their stores with all kinds of flavorings and other stuff might have some gluten in them. But just plain old coffee doesn't have gluten. I never gave up my 8 cups a day and it never bothered me at all, but you may have had more damage than I did. Cut back for a while. They SAY that after two cups you have already gotten all of the "wake up" you will get and that all the rest just gives you nervous stomach.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Firuze

Firuze

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Do you also drink flavoured coffee in Starbucks? Like white mocha or nut latte or mocha frappuccino?

I live in Turkey and the Starbucks here has no idea about gluten so I try to explain it all the time but still do not trust their cleaned equipments used for frappuccinos.

#18 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:43 AM

Coffee is gluten free.  I've heard that people who react to gluten can also have problems with dairy.  We are vegan so I wouldn't know, but do you think there might be a problem with milk? That much caffeine would give me tummy problems.  Caffeine is a diuretic.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#19 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

What I do to cut down on cc possibilities is to buy whole bean unflavored coffee and grind it myself.  I had to buy a grinder, but fresh ground coffee is better anyway and pushing the button on the grinder isn't too much of an effort.

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

fresh ground coffee is better anyway and pushing the button on the grinder isn't too much of an effort.

agreed..... and it smells good too. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#21 D&M Payne

D&M Payne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

My husband it Gluten intolerant & he can only drink Nescafe instant coffee he loved going to tim horton's but can't drink there coffee he has the same reaction to it as he does if he has wheat or anything to do with wheat products he tryed max well house coffee in our coffee maker but still got sick from it he did use folgers but said it had a weird taste to it so if anyone can help with what might be good for him that would be great.

#22 kitkatkid

kitkatkid

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

My husband it Gluten intolerant & he can only drink Nescafe instant coffee he loved going to tim horton's but can't drink there coffee he has the same reaction to it as he does if he has wheat or anything to do with wheat products he tryed max well house coffee in our coffee maker but still got sick from it he did use folgers but said it had a weird taste to it so if anyone can help with what might be good for him that would be great.

See I've read about this from multiple people who try different coffees and find they only get sick with certain brands. I guess CC makes sense but I can see how the other poster said it gets overused (CC). I guess having spent have of my life enjoying my coffee I'm doing a *hopeful dance* that my discomfort is brand specific lol and not the coffee as others have suggested. Problem is they could be right haha. It's very probable that with eliminating something that gave me stomach pain and issues daily has allowed me to differentiate the discomfort that is due to good old plain caffeine and an abundance of it. glad you hubby found a brand that works. 

What I do to cut down on cc possibilities is to buy whole bean unflavored coffee and grind it myself.  I had to buy a grinder, but fresh ground coffee is better anyway and pushing the button on the grinder isn't too much of an effort.

I never thought of this but makes a lot of sense. I'm guessing that in many places CC can occur in the grinding phase. Curious what type of grinder? mine is fairly small (magic bullet type of grinder) So I have to do two rounds for a pot and it so finely ground it clumps together and is a little bit of a productions to get off the edges and mash the clumps. 

Coffee is gluten free.  I've heard that people who react to gluten can also have problems with dairy.  We are vegan so I wouldn't know, but do you think there might be a problem with milk? That much caffeine would give me tummy problems.  Caffeine is a diuretic.

I haven't noticed an issue with milk, thank you god lol. I LOVE a huge glass of milk to wash down every meal haha. I think gluten-free would be traumatizing if it included eliminating dairy :) From what I read the lactose intolerance is more due to the damaged gut as after sufficient gluten-free time to heal a person can better handle the dairy. Is this true?

I think the thing with Starbucks is that some of the "coffees" you can buy at their stores with all kinds of flavorings and other stuff might have some gluten in them. But just plain old coffee doesn't have gluten. I never gave up my 8 cups a day and it never bothered me at all, but you may have had more damage than I did. Cut back for a while. They SAY that after two cups you have already gotten all of the "wake up" you will get and that all the rest just gives you nervous stomach.

You know I hate to admit it but you are probably so right on the mark @ 2cups. Often I think the benefits of my coffee are psychosomatic and associative after a certain point :) more so than it really is helping me perk up. After all the discussion I am definitely going to try cutting it way back even 2 cups in the am and one in afternoon would be an improvement, sad eh? ;).

While I don't think it's outlandish to think some may be sensitive to CC as I konw a person who gets really ill from CC. But I think many are right that it could be merely an abrasive thing that has nothing to do with gluten. I don't doubt there is a great deal of damage in my stomach as I've struggled unsuccessfully until gluten-free, for 2.5 years to put on weight (a problem I never ever had my body always finding it's set point in the 135-140 range) and every time I ate I was doubled over. We sadly bought the whole wheat everything is the best and literally had a wheat version of everything that was available lol...Even for non celiacs that's probably not the healthiest so if nothing else I have learned to not fall in line and blindly follow the extremist nutritional hype

#23 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

As mentioned, we're vegan, so we don't have milk, eggs, honey or any meat or other animal byproducts but I do know a lot of coeliacs who also cannot tolerate dairy whether that be from lactose intolerance or a caseine sensitivity.  That's a hell of a lot of coffee though so it could be over-consumption of caffeine causing issues.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#24 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

Coffee has sometimes been found to fraudulently contain barley.  http://www.themedifa...oid-food-fraud/

That might be the cause of some people's issues.

#25 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,313 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

Coffee has sometimes been found to fraudulently contain barley.  http://www.themedifa...oid-food-fraud/

That might be the cause of some people's issues.

Then buy whole beans and grind at home or in the store.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: