Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Cross Contamination - The Bane Of My Life!

• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

#1 Greebo115

Greebo115

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

So, I'm nearly 8 months gluten-free.....and I am STILL finding new ways to gluten myself, grrrrrr!

My question is: if I have been (unknowingly), soaking and cooking CC'd dried beans (I know this for sure, now...after many mysterious glutenings and finding they are packed on the same lines as gluten products inc. wheat flour!) in my slow cooker, which has a metal, non-stick pot......is the pot now glutening me? (I bought this after going gluten free, so thought it was gluten-free).

I'm sitting here with champion brain-fog and a painful, growing, noisy stomach after eating left-over "super-safe" beef stew (only fresh carrots, celery, shin beef, herbs from my garden, homemade chicken stock from carcass) for breakfast, that was cooked in my slow cooker - I felt clear before eating it........moan moan, I'm sick of this!

Obvious symptoms started as a baby with gastroenteritis....
Self - diagnosed celiac at age 41 - Gluten-free since December 2012, shortly after realised in needed to avoid:
Dairy, soy, all grains, all pseudo-grains, nightshades, legumes, MSG, xantham gum, all sugar alcohols.
Low sugar/refined carbs since Aug '08 due to reactive hypoglycemia.

22/03/13 Mung beans and blackeyebeans reintroduced successfully!

26/06/13 Some symptoms mysteriously returned - found loads of CC in my nuts and dried beans!! (verified by food/symptom journal and emails to companies)

26/11/13 After 2 weeks on crutches (again) realised that legumes cause my joints to inflame - it's undeniable....legumes gone!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 a1956chill

a1956chill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

The chicken stock ( home made or not ) would get me . For some reason I can tolerate turkey but not chicken .

Give your slow cooker  a good cleaning and it should be fine

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:50 AM

Sigh,  Do you think it is possible you are having random withdrawal symptoms?  In the beginning of my diet experience, I couldn't always figure it out.  Also, after l year sometimes I really can't be sure what I am reacting to.

Are  there any scratches in the metal of the crock pot?

One other consideration,  Could you have intolerances to another food in the stew?

D

#4 Greebo115

Greebo115

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

The chicken stock ( home made or not ) would get me . For some reason I can tolerate turkey but not chicken .

Give your slow cooker  a good cleaning and it should be fine

Hmmm, I've always thought chicken was one of my safe foods.....

And, yes, I already gave the pot a thorough clean - as far as one can with non-stick...

Self - diagnosed celiac at age 41 - Gluten-free since December 2012, shortly after realised in needed to avoid:
Dairy, soy, all grains, all pseudo-grains, nightshades, legumes, MSG, xantham gum, all sugar alcohols.

26/06/13 Some symptoms mysteriously returned - found loads of CC in my nuts and dried beans!! (verified by food/symptom journal and emails to companies)

26/11/13 After 2 weeks on crutches (again) realised that legumes cause my joints to inflame - it's undeniable....legumes gone!

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:04 AM

Hmmm, I've always thought chicken was one of my safe foods.....

And, yes, I already gave the pot a thorough clean - as far as one can with non-stick...

It took my elimination diet for me to realize that chicken was an issue . I , like you, thought it was a safe food.

My suggestion would be to eliminate chicken ( including the  broth) from your diet for a week or two and then try it again. If not a problem it will reassure you it is a  totally safe  food .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoarthritis

#6 Greebo115

Greebo115

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

Sigh,  Do you think it is possible you are having random withdrawal symptoms?  In the beginning of my diet experience, I couldn't always figure it out.  Also, after l year sometimes I really can't be sure what I am reacting to.

Are  there any scratches in the metal of the crock pot?

One other consideration,  Could you have intolerances to another food in the stew?

D

Not sure about the random withdrawal....thought I'd left that far behind.....

Yes, there are plenty of scratches on the crock pot.......

I don't think it can be more intolerances......I already have plenty! I'd purposely made the stew out of safe ingredients because of a recent glutening...(the cc'd beans), so it might be flare of symptoms from that.....but I really don't want to continue to add to the problems with contaminated cookware....OTOH it would be an expensive hassle to replace the crock pot every time I suspect cc......

#7 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

Being a farmer, I know that chickens are more inclined to eat grain and turkeys like to eat bugs and grass and very little grain.  Our poultry eat wheat! .  Ours are also on pasture of grass and clover which they like.   I stay away from their feed.  I rinse them well in cold water before eating

I tried not eating chicken for a while and have been fine when I began eating it again.    I make chicken broth with the leftovers and do not have a problem.  Chicken is a good food; keep it in your diet if you can.  Avoid it if you must.

D

#8 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

.  Chicken is a good food; keep it in your diet if you can.  Avoid it if you must.

D

I agree ,,, No food should be eliminated from ones diet unless it is detrimental to ones health and well being .

I for one worked long and hard to determine  what was safe for me to eat and what was not. it is a tedious process but for some of us it  is required to regain our health .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#9 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

Cross contamination is a big issue for me too.  I don't think that a tiny bit of cc from pot that cooked something with a tiny bit of cc would be an issue, but I could be wrong.  It was not my experience that scratched non stick cookware was a source of cc.  I also have had problems with chicken.  It is inconsistent with me.  Sometimes I could eat it without problems, and sometimes I could not. 

I am sensitive to extremely low levels of gluten and avenin.

I found a farmer who does a batch of corn, soy. oat and gluten free chicken each year for another customer.  I think I'll try some of that.  She also butchers them herself and explained the process to me and it sounded more humane with less cc possibilities than what happens in the big facilities. 

I also recommend elimination/challenge dieting.  I also don't think that you should eliminate it unless you find out that it is a problem.  

#10 Mr. GF in Indiana

Mr. GF in Indiana

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Sympathies for your suffering...somehow, it seems like we largely suffer alone, doesn't it? 

I bought wheat-gluten test kits at $15 each, and after screwing up using the first one, read the directions more carefully.

I found no cross contamination of gluten in any product that "shared facilities" with a wheat product line.  So before you

give up on an important food, it may be worth a few bucks to test it, and that means you may have other sensitivities or food issues

you can discover or improve on. 

I tested three different rice brands from Thailand; no gluten found (wheat gluten, I mean).   Even so, I have now gotten

so doggone nervous I spend the extra few bucks a month and bought certified "gluten free" rice at my local gluten free

store.   Whole foods has been stocking more gluten free products, but my son, looking at their pricing, calls them "Whole Paycheck".

Now, finding where corn and corn starch is hidden...that has been a whole other difficulty, and I haven't found a test kit

for sorghum that is reasonably priced, and it's in many wheat-gluten free foods now.    

Best Wishes!    Gary

Misdiagnosed 62 years; finally medically confirmed Celiac/prolamin 2010

No corn, wheat, rye, barley, oatmeal, sorghum; rice is tolerated.  Salicylate sensitive.

Vitamin D and B deficiency, thyroid deficiency, bleeding disorder (all improving slowly).

Neurologically disabled, retired attorney.

Only you can take care of you; random advice from someone on the internet does not substitute for your own doctor!

#11 HumanDecency

HumanDecency

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

How far in did you leave the withdrawal symptoms behind?

Not sure about the random withdrawal....thought I'd left that far behind.....

Yes, there are plenty of scratches on the crock pot.......

I don't think it can be more intolerances......I already have plenty! I'd purposely made the stew out of safe ingredients because of a recent glutening...(the cc'd beans), so it might be flare of symptoms from that.....but I really don't want to continue to add to the problems with contaminated cookware....OTOH it would be an expensive hassle to replace the crock pot every time I suspect cc......

#12 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

if you're worried about the crock pot, they sell liners for them - that's what i use in mine - i wasn't sure about the crock, it is ceramic and we used it to cook gluten-y things before i was dx'd.  

i glutened myself alot in the first year, i am sure!  also, things in particular brands/certain foods were still hard to digest because my intestines were damaged (still are, i'm sure, but they feel better and better the longer i stay gluten-free)  so i kept a food journal.  even if there was not gluten in things i was eating, for some reason or another i had trouble digesting them.  also discovered a secondary sensitivity to soy <man, that stuff is EVERYWHERE - if i eat too much of it i have a 'fake' gluten reaction.  headache, neck ache, fatigue, etc not to mention 'D' - but it doesn't last as long as long as when i get glutened.  food journal is your friend when you're trying to figure out what's been getting you.  and write down everything that crosses your lips :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

If you were glutened recently (and over a period of time, since you say it took a while to figure out what was up with the beans) then it could be that you're still recovering from that. I find I have trouble with perfectly safe foods for a week or so after getting glutened. Digestive enzymes might help you out.

If it keeps up though, try not using your crock pot for a while. If that makes a difference, get a new crock pot, or a liner for it or something. If it doesn't, try an elimination diet to see if something else is bothering you.

(soy is the bane of my existence. even tiny amounts of that can get me. no fun)

good luck!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#14 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

If you were glutened recently (and over a period of time, since you say it took a while to figure out what was up with the beans) then it could be that you're still recovering from that. I find I have trouble with perfectly safe foods for a week or so after getting glutened. Digestive enzymes might help you out.

If it keeps up though, try not using your crock pot for a while. If that makes a difference, get a new crock pot, or a liner for it or something. If it doesn't, try an elimination diet to see if something else is bothering you.

(soy is the bane of my existence. even tiny amounts of that can get me. no fun)

good luck!

Soy is evil ,Just plain EVIL I say :ph34r:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#15 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

Soy is evil ,Just plain EVIL I say :ph34r:

sneaky, too.  i make all my own salad dressings because it's so hard to find prepackaged without the dreaded soy!  for hershey chocolate bars and mayo, i suck it up and suffer lolz - but not that often!!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: