arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Have You Been Told It Is All In Your Head?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 MitziG

MitziG

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Just one thought to bring to your attention, since you are only recently gluten free and probaBly still "learning the ropes".... is it possible the foods you are reacting to are cross contaminated with gluten? Watermelon gets cut on a cutting board- did you buy a new one yet? Onion rings may be made in the same fryer as other gluteny ones, etc....probably you already know this, but just wanted to make you aware in case you weren't.

Multiple sensitivities are nott uncommon in the beginning- I think our immune system must go a bit bonkers when we take gluten away. For a lot of people things calm down a bit after a few months. It does make it difficult to know you are doing the right thing though when it seems like no matter what you eat, you end up feeling awful! Hang in there, it gets easier.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lovechild

lovechild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

they think you are FAKING DIARRHEA ?  how is that even possible......

people are idiots.  i'm so sorry.  

i'm sure people thought i had some kind of eating disorder before i got diagnosed.  my mother-in-law is a (here have a cupcake and get over yourself) jerk about it still.  who cares - notme!  lolz

i have been handing out the 'food journal' advice today all day so:  keep a food journal and write down everything that crosses your lips - try to eat simple and 'clean' no fancy spices and ingredients.  i hate watermelon, so nobody should *ever* eat it <just kidding 

Thanks for this! That is what I thought too! How am I supposed to be faking diarrhea and big dark, sunken circles under my eyes along with all of the other symptoms that I had and some that I continue to have. Thanks also for the suggestion of using a food journal. I will have to give that a try. :)

#18 lovechild

lovechild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Just one thought to bring to your attention, since you are only recently gluten free and probaBly still "learning the ropes".... is it possible the foods you are reacting to are cross contaminated with gluten? Watermelon gets cut on a cutting board- did you buy a new one yet? Onion rings may be made in the same fryer as other gluteny ones, etc....probably you already know this, but just wanted to make you aware in case you weren't.

Multiple sensitivities are nott uncommon in the beginning- I think our immune system must go a bit bonkers when we take gluten away. For a lot of people things calm down a bit after a few months. It does make it difficult to know you are doing the right thing though when it seems like no matter what you eat, you end up feeling awful! Hang in there, it gets easier.

You are totally right! The watermelon was bought at the grocery store and was already cut up so it could have been cross-contaminated. I did make some onion cakes at home (being careful about cc) and they made me sick and then I also got sick again when I ate out at a gluten free/vegan restaurant and the onion rings and stew with onions in it could have also been cross contaminated, even though it was off the gluten free menu. The reason why I think why these situations are more of a fructose malabsorbtion reaction is because each time I ate the watermelon and onions I was running to the bathroom with (sorry in advance for the TMI), the explosive gas for hours, watery d, fatty stool, mega cramps where I couldn't stand up straight and for two days later I was still burping onions. They were experiences I never want to have again. Yikes! Way worse that gluten exposure where I my symptoms also come on shortly after exposure but the difference is my stomach just bloats up, I have stomach cramps, foggy head, extreme exhaustion, d followed by c for days after, headache etc.

Also, I think I may have a sugar problem in general because of my hypoglycemia. Lately whenever I have something with the slightest amount of sugar in it (even fruit) I get really light headed and dizzy. I am not sure what that is all about but hopefully it resolves soon.

I have been eating home exclusively for the past few weeks so I can avoid cc but I am still feeling crappy. I am too scared to try onions or watermelon again for fear of the very painful symptoms.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and for your suggestions.

#19 lovechild

lovechild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. It feels great to know I am not alone and that others have been in similar situations. Also, thank you for your suggestions. I am crossing my fingers that I get all of my intolerances sorted out soon. It is hard to know what to eat anymore and I am getting bored with the same-old that I have been eating for the past little while.

I am seeing a MD/naturopath doctor who comes highly recommended. He is not cheap so hopefully I am on the right track with him. I did decide to get the ELISA food intolerance panel done in desperation and I should have the results in the next couple of weeks. I am interested to see what the results say.

We are going to Disneyland in 2.5 weeks and I am kind of worried about what I am going to eat on my gluten free, dairy free, soy free, mostly sugar free diet without being able to cook any of my own meals.

#20 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

I have only had a few Migraines in my life!! I wouldn't wish that on anyone!! I have always prided myself for not having headaches on a regular basis! When I went to the Doc and he asked me I told him , I have been having headaches! I NEVER have head aches!! I have always prided myself for never having head aches!! And now I am getting them!! I was kinda Glad to hear I had Celiac!! Just because there was an answer! 

I truly hate to hear of anyone suffering!! I sure hope you get your answers!! It does tick me off when my Dr. doesn't believe me!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

Lovechild

Just to add: I think Mitzi may have meant your own cutting board at home may be a culprit if you cut up watermelon on it after using it for bread..

I can honestly say that the cut watermelon in the produce dept. has never glutened me. The produce section is not also cutting up bread

for anyone, I am sure. The machines are cleaned and it is highly unlikely gluten is involved. IMHO.

Disneyland is very gluten free friendly. People report wonderful experiences there. Have fun! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 klisja

klisja

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Not to my face but I think people thought I was depressed and was just using my stomach as an excuse (like kids do when they wont go to school).

I have, like you, serious issues with food. All I can eat is rice (and ricecakes), rolled oats (not quick), milk, cream, butter, salt, white sugar, meat (not pork), eggs and decaff. I eat cheese too but I think it's problametic. That's it for now!

Good luck, it took me 3 years to find my list :)

#23 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

A common discussion between Celiac citizens (and many other disease sufferers), and their doctors, is that the gut or cognition problem is all in their head. Doctors make notes about the apparent mental health of their patient at many visits. I suppose I have had a dozen or more doctors tell me my health issues were somewhat or largely mental (except the psychiatrists they sent me to, who immediately began looking for the physical issue..ultimately my neurologic problems were explained to me as a vitamin/celiac issue by an eye doctor!). However, a common result of most gut disease is depression, partly from being sick and frustrated, isolated, and often a reaction to ssri's. Celiac disease and its consequences (like parathyroid disease) are well known to make you crazy, as your brain and nerves are attacked, sleep is destroyed, fatigue overwhelms the person, and they can't get proper nutrition.

Agreed. And to add to that my natural doc was telling me that most of our serotonin is produced in our gut. So if we have things like chronic D or chronic vomitting we lose not only good bacteria but serotonin which is a one of our mood stabilizers.

So it would make sense that people with unhappy guts could be sad/depressed people, but generally it's not clinical depression. It's a lack of serotonin. I found this interesting and of course I take serotonin now with about 20 other supplements because of my colitis (chronic D, yeah :wacko: ) so it does improve my moods.

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Seratonin is indeed produced in the gut.

The reason why people with impaired guts get depressed is because it is not being produced..... AND other neurotransmitters are not functioning as they should, either. It is a cascade effect.

It is not lost, per se....it just is not being produced--as it should be--in a normally healthy, functioning GI tract.

My celiac-induced depression and anxiety disappeared off gluten and after healing my gut.

When I took drugs given to me for "depression and anxiety" (before DX), it just made things worse.

Insomnia, agitation, etc. so I KNEW it was not the answer. I am not a depressive personality at all and I never had anxiety in my life UNTIL I was sick from undiagnosed celiac and malabsorption

Here's the deal....if anyone is a celiac or a NCGI, gluten will mess with your head. Period.

Take gluten out...........be patient, heal... and you'll feel better. (for the vast majority of celiac-related mental health issues)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#25 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

yea the cutting board thing!! I usually try an cut stuff on a plate. But sometimes I do cut on a stone. Is a clean soap stone ok if it is cleaned between times? I have always hated plastic cutting boards. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: