This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good Gluten Free Meals Prepared Using A Microwave?

gabechevarrieta

gabechevarrieta Newbie

I'm going into my second year of dorming at college, and last year I had the luxury of being able to use my boyfriend's stove/oven to prepare gluten free/non contaminated meals while I was away at school. 

Now that he's graduated, I no longer have that luxury. I'll now be confined to my dorm room which does not include a kitchen, and the only way I can cook is using a microwave. 

I will have a small freezer/fridge combo. 

The dining halls at my school do offer some gluten free options, but they are generally pretty unhealthy and the staff does not know much about gluten free preparation, so a lot of cross contamination happens (no separate utensils, toasters, etc) and I've gotten sick from that once.

I've contacted res-life about this and they're saying that the staff is following all the rules necessary to prepare gluten free food. (I know they're not, but that's another issue)

Does anyone know of any good, healthy recipes that I can make using just my microwave? I'm open to frozen meals/dinners as long as they're not loaded with sodium/trans fat/other awful things like that!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Could you sneak in a Crockpot or toaster oven ? That would in erase your options. Maybe a George Fromen grill?

Speak with the disability office at your school. There was a recent court finding that a school that requires you to pay for food must supply nutritious and safe gluten-free food.

You can microwave plain chicken or hamburger in a covered bowl. It doesn't taste good plain. It you can shred it and re- heat with a can of beans, salsa, corn and cheese.

You can add the meat to gluten-free rice cups like MacDougals or broths. Open Original Shared Link

Veggies microwave well. You could microwave some carrots and add to broth and chicken and rice for soup. Baked potatoes, then add cheese, chili, etc.

Bush's baked beans are all gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

I think Dinty More stew is gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

There are some canned or boxed soups, too.

Glutenfreeda burritos. The ones i have tried are very tasty. Open Original Shared Link

You can cook scrambled eggs. You can do it in a mug, but I find they sometimes explode. Here are some examples:

Open Original Shared Link

I'll add some links. Be back

Microwave rice:

Check these as not all flavors are gluten-free.

You can microwave hotdogs, nachos, instant oatmeal.

I bet you could cook rice noodle in this

My lazy meal is a corn torilla - put chicken and cheese and salsa, maybe a little chopped bell pepper & microwave

There are recipes for micro buns and cakes in a mug. I didn't like the one I tried but you might find something you like.

Maybe you could get a little camp stove that you could take outside and cook burgers, chicken, steak, etc.

IrishHeart Veteran

Omygosh, K--that is one impressive list. Kudos! :)

I was going to suggest Glutenfreeda oatmeal and a few other things, but you covered it all! 

I am bookmarking this thread for good travel info for others..... and myself.

Thanks!!

and  to Gabe---good luck, hon!

w8in4dave Community Regular

Progresso also carries a couple of Gluten free soups , Cream of mushroom and a clam chowder , I have only found those two,not sure if they carry any more, those two are very good!! Thats as far as I have gotten! Good luck!! Thanks Irish heart thats alot of great info!!  I checked and evidently they have a whole list of gluten free soups. 

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks Irish heart thats alot of great info!! 

oooh, I'd like to take credit for that long list of helpful info, but that was Karen's post, sweetie!  :D

I am just her trusted side kick on this one. lol

bartfull Rising Star

Rice, baked potato, and veggies are easy in the micro. Meat is the problem. Yeah, you CAN do chicken but you have to make sure it's done and it does taste lousy unless you shred it and mix with sauces and spices. Hot dogs are good though. If you can find a decent health food store you will be able to find healthy hot dogs without all the nitrates and other garbage in them. Bacon is good in the micro too.

Yeah, I would try to sneak a toaster oven or a small George Foreman grill in. The George is the best way to cook meats (so delicious!) and you can even cook french fries on it, grill veggies on it, bacon, and just about anything else. If you put a couple of tuna cans under the front legs to make it level you can even do pancakes on it. They come out slightly waffled, but they're good. And speaking of tuna, you can probably find some truly gluten-free tuna in the grocery store. I know some has gluten in it but I think it's been discussed here and someone will be able to tell you which brands are safe. (I don't know because I don't eat it.)

oooh, I'd like to take credit for that long list of helpful info, but that was Karen's post, sweetie!  :D

I am just her trusted side kick on this one. lol

I stand corrected!! I apologize to Karen.  TY Karen!! Alot of very helpful info!! :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I stand corrected!! I apologize to Karen.  TY Karen!! Alot of very helpful info!! :)

no prob!! the first few months, you get a "pass" on any and all brain fog moments.  :D we've all been there!!! xx

So glad you said "any and all" Lol seems to be alot!!  I usually try not to get into any deep convo's because there is usually a word I cannot remember, usually when it is important. People look at me like I have grown a 3rd eye. I'm like what you've never forgotten a word before? Everyone tries to guess the word your trying to think of and it makes it that much harder. 

But getting back on topic, I love the idea of the george foreman , sometimes you can pic those up at garage sales or Craigs list pretty cheap!! it is so easy to use!! doesn't take too much electricity either. Like everyone says there is alot of info in the newbie thread. A whole list of stuff you can use in a microwave!! Just don't be too discouraged. And I always bake a potato in the micro ,sweetpotato is yummy in there also :)

GFinDC Veteran
  • 1 month later...
gabechevarrieta Newbie

omg i forgot to check this post until now, but thank you so much for this extensive list of stuff!! 

I talked to residence life and sadly the only specialty gluten free items are subject to a lot of cross-contamination and the employees working in the kitchen are very uneducated on the subject so it just makes me nervous.

I try to eat in the dining halls as little as possible lately. 

But thanks again, you've been really helpful!

Could you sneak in a Crockpot or toaster oven ? That would in erase your options. Maybe a George Fromen grill?

Speak with the disability office at your school. There was a recent court finding that a school that requires you to pay for food must supply nutritious and safe gluten-free food.

You can microwave plain chicken or hamburger in a covered bowl. It doesn't taste good plain. It you can shred it and re- heat with a can of beans, salsa, corn and cheese.

You can add the meat to gluten-free rice cups like MacDougals or broths. Open Original Shared Link

Veggies microwave well. You could microwave some carrots and add to broth and chicken and rice for soup. Baked potatoes, then add cheese, chili, etc.

Bush's baked beans are all gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

I think Dinty More stew is gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

There are some canned or boxed soups, too.

Glutenfreeda burritos. The ones i have tried are very tasty. Open Original Shared Link

You can cook scrambled eggs. You can do it in a mug, but I find they sometimes explode. Here are some examples:

I'll add some links. Be back

Microwave rice:

Check these as not all flavors are gluten-free.

You can microwave hotdogs, nachos, instant oatmeal.

I bet you could cook rice noodle in this

My lazy meal is a corn torilla - put chicken and cheese and salsa, maybe a little chopped bell pepper & microwave

There are recipes for micro buns and cakes in a mug. I didn't like the one I tried but you might find something you like.

Maybe you could get a little camp stove that you could take outside and cook burgers, chicken, steak, etc.

tarnalberry Community Regular

If you have any common areas with outlets, get yourself an electric skillet.  You can cook almost anything in there! :)  (I used on when I was in college - not for gluten free, as I didn't know about that at the time, but because I liked cooking.)

• 2 weeks later...
RaeDawnMarie721 Newbie

My freshman year of college, I had the same problem. I made scrambled eggs pretty often (mix them up, add some salt and pepper, with just a dash of milk, and microwave for about 45 seconds).

I also learned how to make pasta in the microwave. It's time consuming, but you want to add the pasta and water to a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave it for 5 minutes, stir, another 5 minutes, stir again, then eight minutes and drain. Add your sauce or cheese (if gluten is your only issue, Velveeta makes cheese "toppers" that are less than a dollar a pack at walmart and they're safe).

Salads are almost always a safe option...just watch for gluten in your salad dressing. But I'm sure we're ALL sick of eating salads lol.

You could make chicken or tuna salads using the canned meats...but, again, watch for hidden gluten in fillers.

Also, when in a pinch, cereal and milk is filling, delicious, and safe.

I hope this helps some!

joneschick114 Newbie

I know one tasty gluten-free brand called Saffron Road- Its Halal and they make delicious, authentic Thai and Middle Eastern dishes- also Dairy Free!

I actually love this thread!! It is so great!! All the info!! Even for non college people! 

Sammykins Newbie

Get yourself a microwave cookbook! You would be surprised at the amount of dishes that you can cook in a microwave such as stews and 'bakes'. It will likely take more time than regular cooking, but you can cook up a batch and freeze individual portions for later. The only consideration is making sure you have an area in your room where you can do a bit more meal prep.

If you or your parents have the extra money, you could even get yourself a convection microwave, which is a microwave that can also be used as a regular oven. An electric kettle and toaster would be useful too.

The idea of a crockpot is an excellent one, but the smell of foods cooking for 4-8 hours might be a giveaway (I'm guessing you're technically not allowed to cook in your room?).

• 4 months later...
ktylizbth Newbie

Here is recipe for making potato chips from your microwave Open Original Shared Link

mommyto2kids Collaborator

gluten-free soups, Amy's burritos and fresh foods, breads and crackers. That is what comes to mind. See if the dorm cafeteria can work with you for preparing things for you, simple things. Maybe frozen meals, soups and fresh things. Good luck. 

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Artisan Bistro, E-Vol and even Glutino make some good gluten-free frozen meals.  I haven't looked at the nutritional info, but I can't imagine any of these are particularly loaded with bad stuff.  Also, I'd try and get a rice cooker in there if you can.  Someone (on here?) was talking about ways to make meals in a rice cooker by adding eggs and such as it cooks.

Archived