This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alka Seltzer Fruit Chews

G-gone

G-gone Newbie

Hi there. Brand new here, brand new to all of this. I have been gluten free (except for accidental glutening) for about 2 months. Last week I purchased Alka Seltzer fruit chews for my occasional heart burn. I've taken a couple just before bed for the last several nights. For the last several nights I've had horrible nausea, headache, body aches and sweating. I've woken myself up with the miserableness of it all and my moaning and groaning. Tonight after I took 2, within half an hour it started again and a little light bulb went off. So I read the ingredients again. No wheat or other gluten foods mentioned. However there are two different modified food starches. So I began to search the web. Only found one "entry" that said not gluten free. It was on a personal blog. I didn't find anything else. I did send an email and hope to get a response quickly. However, I am impatient and wondering if anyone here knows or if they've had a glutened like reaction from taking them.

If its not the fruit chews I need to dig deeper and figure out what is causing my nighttime sickness the last several days.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

If it was wheat, it would say " modified food starch( wheat)"

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If it was wheat, it would say " modified food starch( wheat)"

That only applies to food. Unfortunately meds don't have to follow the same rules that food does.

IMHO the best way to see if the chews are the problem is to stop using them for a bit, perhaps till you hear back from the company. Then if your symptoms have resolved try using them again and see if they return.

It is also quite possible that gluten is sneaking in somewhere else. This is especially the case when we are new to the diet.

kareng Grand Master

That only applies to food. Unfortunately meds don't have to follow the same rules that food does.

IMHO the best way to see if the chews are the problem is to stop using them for a bit, perhaps till you hear back from the company. Then if your symptoms have resolved try using them again and see if they return.

It is also quite possible that gluten is sneaking in somewhere else. This is especially the case when we are new to the diet.

Oh right!  People treat them like candy.  I forgot they were a medication.  :wacko:

Do they have artificial sweetener?  Some of those really bother me.

G-gone Newbie

Thank you for the replies.

I defiantly have to decided to not use them anymore. The ick feeling lasts about 14 hours or so and then I feel better, until after I take the fruit chews. So I can only relate it to them. It's not a "knock me out" for 3 days that I normally get when glutened, but enough to make me not want to take them anymore. I can't believe it took me about 5 days to relate it to the fruit chews.

Yes, there is both natural and artificial sweeteners in them. So far I haven't run into issues with either. However I know traveling down this road can cause changes in what seems like a blink of an eye.

Thanks again for the replies. When/if I hear back from the company I will share the reply.

I'm learning, it's a slow process, but I'm learning :)

Adalaide Mentor

I know you said you sent an email to the company, but you could just call. The number listed on their site is 800-800-4793 and you can prevent sitting around waiting until Monday if they don't get back to you by the end of the day today. Sometimes it is better just to make the phone call because piece of mind is worth whatever time it takes up.

cyclinglady Grand Master

For that occasional heartburn (or ingestion of a food you're intolerant to -- not including gluten)?  Try old-fashioned baking soda and drink plenty of water.  That's what my doctor recommends.   On the road, we travel with Alka Seltzer Gold which is just expensive baking soda and does not contain aspirin like the traditional Alka Seltzer (it's a little more difficult to find in some drug stores).    Yes, it's "yucky" but it's medicine -- not candy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
GlutenFree4Lexi Newbie

My dad looked it up and it also said no. I would just stay away from them and see how u feel. I have celiac disease (very bad gluten allergy) and I had heart burn so my dad said not to take them. He is a dentist and has been to medical school so I would just not take them. Also try talking to a dietition or a gastro interoligest.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome, Lexi!

Archived