Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Someone Maybe Shed Some Light On My Symptoms?

• Please log in to reply

12 replies to this topic

#1 answerseeker

answerseeker

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hello, I'm new here and came across the forum while searching about my symptoms. a little background:

Feb 2012- diagnosed with GERD based on symptoms but never actually tested

April 2012- diagnosed with adult onset asthma after multiple uppper respiratory infections and sinus infections. my asthma has been very difficult to control. in the last year I have had 1 urgent care visit, 1 overnight hospital stay, and 3 rounds of prednisone.

in the last year I have noticed an increase in eye floaters, saw an opthamologist and was diagnosed with vitreous detachment (this typically affects people over 65 I am 40)

hisotry of recurrent yeast infections, anemia (although iron levels are good now), sinus infections (sinus xray and ENT visit showed nothing wrong with sinuses).

Symptoms:

bad abdominal pain, feels like early labor pain sometimes

nausea

sometimes dizziness

stomach distention

stomach rumbling after eating, sometimes I feel spasms

occasional heartburn

foot cramps to the point where my toes actually bend and look crippled. If I'm driving I have to pull over because it's crippling.

dark circles under my eyes and they look sunken in a little (my husband noticed this before I even did)

eczema, and rosacea

constipation, sometimes loose

bad hemmorhoids (sorry to much infomation here, pretty embarassing)

Tests:

celiac blood test= negative

endoscopty with biospsy = negative

abdominal xray= negative

h pyrioli= negative

gallbladder and liver are fine

CBC showed low calcium levels but my Dr. thinks it could be due to the recent hospital stay for my asthma? says shortness of breath could cause it.

also low alkaline phospate levels

test after test but my symptoms are still present. I have always had a hard time keeping weight on. I am 5' 3" and usually weigh 109 but I have lost 3 1/2 pounds in the last few weeks so I'm down to 105.4 right now

my asthma went undiagnosed for over a year. My dr. kept diagnosing upper respiratory infection and I was on 4 different courses of anibiotics within a year and a half.

extremely frustrated at this point and seeking some advice, thank you all in advance.

right now both my husband and I agree to try gluten free to see if I improve but it seems pretty clear I don't have celiac even though so many things point to it.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

Welcome to the board.

With a negative blood test (was it just one test or did he run all - tTG's, DGP's, AGA's, and EMA?) and negative biopsy, I agree that chances are that you do not have celiac. You do have symptoms though so that could mean that you have Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) which is much more common, and has all the same symptoms of celiac disease without the intestinal villi damage - which is what those celiac disease tests look for. I'm glad you are giving the gluten-free diet a try. Give it a few months to help; I personally was still noticing obvious improvements at six months into the diet.

Some of your symptoms match hypothyroidism too. You might want to get that looked into.

Good luck.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

did you have a complete celiac blood panel done?

that is total iga-used as a control to make sure you produce enough iga to validate the other results

DGP iga/igg

ttg iga/igg

EMA

what about low stomach acid?  many people with GERD actually have low stomach acid, and those PPIs may be doing more harm than good.  I take HCL capsules with hard to digest meals.  just a thought!  here's a great book on it http://www.amazon.co...is good for you

Hello, I'm new here and came across the forum while searching about my symptoms. a little background:

Feb 2012- diagnosed with GERD based on symptoms but never actually tested

April 2012- diagnosed with adult onset asthma after multiple uppper respiratory infections and sinus infections. my asthma has been very difficult to control. in the last year I have had 1 urgent care visit, 1 overnight hospital stay, and 3 rounds of prednisone.

in the last year I have noticed an increase in eye floaters, saw an opthamologist and was diagnosed with vitreous detachment (this typically affects people over 65 I am 40)

hisotry of recurrent yeast infections, anemia (although iron levels are good now), sinus infections (sinus xray and ENT visit showed nothing wrong with sinuses).

Symptoms:

bad abdominal pain, feels like early labor pain sometimes

nausea

sometimes dizziness

stomach distention

stomach rumbling after eating, sometimes I feel spasms

occasional heartburn

foot cramps to the point where my toes actually bend and look crippled. If I'm driving I have to pull over because it's crippling.

dark circles under my eyes and they look sunken in a little (my husband noticed this before I even did)

eczema, and rosacea

constipation, sometimes loose

bad hemmorhoids (sorry to much infomation here, pretty embarassing)

Tests:

celiac blood test= negative

endoscopty with biospsy = negative

abdominal xray= negative

h pyrioli= negative

gallbladder and liver are fine

CBC showed low calcium levels but my Dr. thinks it could be due to the recent hospital stay for my asthma? says shortness of breath could cause it.

also low alkaline phospate levels

test after test but my symptoms are still present. I have always had a hard time keeping weight on. I am 5' 3" and usually weigh 109 but I have lost 3 1/2 pounds in the last few weeks so I'm down to 105.4 right now

my asthma went undiagnosed for over a year. My dr. kept diagnosing upper respiratory infection and I was on 4 different courses of anibiotics within a year and a half.

extremely frustrated at this point and seeking some advice, thank you all in advance.

right now both my husband and I agree to try gluten free to see if I improve but it seems pretty clear I don't have celiac even though so many things point to it.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#4 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

I only had the ttg iga/igg my dr said the biopsy would be better than the additional blood tests. I did have my thyroid checked forgot to mention that.

I'm not taking any meds for GERD. The dr who said I had it a year ago said to take them for 2 weeks and I haven't taken anymore since then, especially because I don't really get heartburn

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#5 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Is it still possible to lose weight and nutrients with the non celiac gluten sensitivity? Seems the damage to the intestine is what interferes with absorption? Emailing my dr yet again today to see what the next step is

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

. I did have my thyroid checked forgot to mention that.

Did they just check the TSH? That's not enough unless you are one of the thyroiditis patients who gets a super high TSH, that's only about half of them. It took 15 years for my docs to agree that my hypo symptoms were caused by hypothyroidism. I wish I had not blindly followed my doctors as I lost many years of good health.

Ideally, thyroid labs should be: TSH (should be near a 1, I did I not notice an improvement until mine was closer to 0), FreeT3 and FreeT4 (should be in the 50-75% range of your lab's normal reference range), and TPO Ab.

Intestinal damage can be patchy, and since the surface area of the small intestine is the size of a tennis court, it can be missed. You might want to consider requesting the DGP IgA and DGP IgG - they seem good at catching celiacs that the tTG's miss. The EMAIgA is a test for advanced damage and would most likely be negative if your tTG IgA was negative - they are similar tests.

I agree that you should check if they tested your total serum IgA levels. If that is low it can cause a false negative tTG IgA test.

Good luck.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#7 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

My results say this:
Tissue transglutaminese IGA 0.16

Tissue transglutaminese IGG 0.15

Standard range <90

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#8 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

Have you been tested for allergies?  Milk and eggs cause eczema and asthma in our family.  They also cause almost all the symptoms you described.  My rosacea completely resolved (had ocular rosacea too) after I identified and eliminated/rotated those allergy triggers.  While you may not have celiac disease, gluten intolerance is a strong possibility.  

My problems began with allergies (maybe celiac disease), antibiotics for two years for the rosacea, candida problems developed, causing leaky gut and became allergic to more things!  I worked with an MD to resolve the candida issues (prescription anti-fungals), went on a rotational diet and eliminated the foods that I was most allergic to.  Took probotics to help balance my intestinal tract and other supplements.

My husband, at the same time, developed body aches and chronic sinus infections.  He also snored!  He went gluten free 12 years ago and feels great!  He had no formal testing.  Intolerance or celiac disease?  It doesn't matter.  He's feeling great. 

Good luck!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#9 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

I've been keeping a food journal as well. The other day I had a sandwich and about an hour or so later had the worst stomach cramps where I was doubled over, followed by nausea. But they come in episodes and I was fine the next day. Seems with celiac it lasts days after?

We went to Seattle last month for vacation and of course ate out every meal. By the last day I was sicker than I've ever been and had dizziness where the room would spin. That's when 2 days later I ended up admitted to the hospital with a severe asthma attack. They couldn't get the asthma under control after multiple nebulizer treatments. They finally gave me magnesium in my Iv and that got it calmed down, they kept me over night for observation. I was nauseated the whole time in the hospital and they gave me anti nausea meds through my Iv.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

I've been keeping a food journal as well. The other day I had a sandwich and about an hour or so later had the worst stomach cramps where I was doubled over, followed by nausea. But they come in episodes and I was fine the next day. Seems with celiac it lasts days after?

Everyone's responses are different.  It may even have to do with how much gluten you got and what else you ate with it.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

<Have you been tested for allergies?>

Yes I am allergic to numerous trees, molds, dust, dog and cat dander. Currently getting allergy shots. Also have allergic rhinitis

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

I had vitreous detachment and floaters  in both eyes within months and I am not "over 65."

Do I think they are related to gluten intolerance? heck, yes.!

Your symptoms seem like gluten intolerance to me. And yes, it would subject you to allergies as well.

In the absence of positive blood test and positive biopsy, you may well have NCGS

It is equally baffling and equally life-altering to be so ill and have so many symptoms.

the treatment is the same as celiac. A gluten-free diet.

Have you read this?

http://www.celiaccen.../gluten_faq.asp

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#13 hayley3

hayley3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

Did they test you for food allergies ?  I remember when I was first tested for allergies, I was allergic to trees, mold, and animal dander, in addition to foods.

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: