Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Switch From Culturelle To Align Based On Bifidobacteria. Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply

27 replies to this topic

#16 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

I only took the Wellbutrin for a few months, but when I called the doctor about going off it my Mom said are you sure you want to do that because you seem so much better  :lol:  My GP said it was fine, so I went off of it, and I felt ready.  I really like how he informed me that I might have brain zaps introducing my body to the meds.  That was an experience I won't forget.  I felt wired the first week!   

I love the story about your Mom :D  My Mom has always had wonky bowels, so she thinks it perfectly acceptable to not go for three days.  My Grandma (her Mom) is the one that had the bowel surgery, so those types of problems seem to be in our genes.  My Mom often says her stomach is rockin and rollin, and I've suggested she get tested, but for her it would be a HUGE diet change.  I can totally understand her apprehension, but I really wish she could feel how much better I feel.  I try to not get the holier than thou attitude because I know that doesn't help, but she's my Mom and I'm being selfish because I want her around for a long time!

OPP  :lol: that's great!

Actually, talking about it is illuminating for you.

It gives you insight into your health history and how doctors symptom-treat rather than

find the cause. (this is my life story) :huh:

You're going to feel better and better as time goes on!!. You may not need that Wellbutrin in time, so be aware of it.

If you are still taking the SSRI  and your gut starts working well, you may have too much seratonin in your system (and that is a whole' nuther set of awful symptoms)

Just be careful, okay?

Give the probiotics a chance and stay the course. You're still in healing mode, but you sound as if you are doing really well

so far. Time and patience....those are key.

Just hang in there, hon! ;)

PS My mom pooped little marbles her entire life. 6 months gluten-free, probiotics and dumping dairy (she used to drink 16 oz a day)............ and she was thrilled to have a normal BM for the first time in her life. She even called to tell me about her "OPP"..her code for One piece poop. :lol:

PPS. No, we are not crazy to be so excited about such things. If you have never experienced the horror of bowels that do not work, you just do not "get it".

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

After a few more months, when you feel awesome...sit down with your Mom and explain the genetic aspect of celiac

and why she should be tested. (doctors recommend this)

YOUR improvement will be the best example. Write down all your symptoms before DX and check off the ones that resolve.

Show her why being gluten-free yields optimal health

and.......if my stubborn, set -in- her ways 85- year -old Mom can adapt easily to a gluten-free diet, anyone can. ;) watching me almost die really put it in perspective for her. But the genetic aspect really convinced her

because all of her health issues made sense then. As did my father's. 

My Mom is so heatlhy, works out a gym 3x a week and will likely outlive us all.  :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

thanks, Irish  :)

After a few more months, when you feel awesome...sit down with your Mom and explain the genetic aspect of celiac

and why she should be tested. (doctors recommend this)

YOUR improvement will be the best example. Write down all your symptoms before DX and check off the ones that resolve.

Show her why being gluten-free yields optimal health

and.......if my stubborn, set -in- her ways 85- year -old Mom can adapt easily to a gluten-free diet, anyone can. ;) watching me almost die really put it in perspective for her. But the genetic aspect really convinced her

because all of her health issues made sense then. As did my father's. 

My Mom is so heatlhy, works out a gym 3x a week and will likely outlive us all.  :lol:

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

You bet, hon. Keep me posted on your progress!  :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

I only took the Wellbutrin for a few months, but when I called the doctor about going off it my Mom said are you sure you want to do that because you seem so much better  :lol:  My GP said it was fine, so I went off of it, and I felt ready.  I really like how he informed me that I might have brain zaps introducing my body to the meds.  That was an experience I won't forget.  I felt wired the first week!   

my sister took welbutrin for awhile, and she did very well on it - it did what it was supposed to do and made her feel better.  my doctor (back in the gluten days lolz) prescribed it for me and as soon as i reached the dosage level (started me out with a little and then worked up to desired level) I WAS SUICIDAL *seriously* not my personality AT ALL!!  i am the type, if we're all drowning, i'm stepping on your head lolz my husband told me a joke and i was all like:  that's not even funny.  nothing is funny.  what am i doing here anyway. he says call the doctor so i did and they made me stop taking it immediately.  (and that was no fun either but at least i was my self-preserving self)  so, i guess it depends on how your brain is wired, because my sister was absolutely fine with it :)

oh, back to probiotics - sorry!  i took mine in the morning yesterday and it made me nauseas, so i'm going to go back to middle of the day, when there's already something in my stomach (not much of a breakfast eater - maybe that's why it made me feel blech-y)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

oh, back to probiotics - sorry!  i took mine in the morning yesterday and it made me nauseas, so i'm going to go back to middle of the day, when there's already something in my stomach (not much of a breakfast eater - maybe that's why it made me feel blech-y)

Try taking it at bedtime, sweets? That way, you're asleep and it is doing its job.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#22 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Try taking it at bedtime, sweets? That way, you're asleep and it is doing its job.

this is true :)  i will try it that way.  i took one with lunch and my system is still a little 'loose' so maybe another at bedtime might do the trick!

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#23 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Jut so ya know........80% of your immune system is based in the gut so this is why it is so important to keep the gut healthy.  When you take probiotics, you actually are giving your GI tract the food it needs to build a healthy immune system.  This is why I always shake my head at those who try to steer people away from taking them.  What Irish said is correct....if you get sick, take added dosages and you will recover much quicker.  I have been taking probiotics for 25 years and I rarely get sick with mainstream stuff.  I change strains every now and again to shake things up. 

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

I change strains every now and again to shake things up. 

same here! :) 

I rotate different strains and different brands and every few months, I take a week off.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#25 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

good to know :)  i am going to do the same, i think that makes sense.  i'm sure all my 'good' bacteria has been long gone from years of killer antibiotics because i used to catch every damb thing - this is my first year i made it all the way through the winter without catching anything :)  not even a cold!   so, my immune system must be doing better.  who'da thunk...  

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Actually, I recall reading this right after DX: "a celiac's immune system is very strong". I think people erroneously believe we are sickly because we have celiac, but the opposite is true. Once our guts are healed, we resist infection better than most. Our immune system runs on "overtime" defending us.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

thought I'd come back and update since I posted something about it in another thread...

I've been on the Custom Probiotics less than a month.  I've been taking one in the morning on an empty stomach, and there were a few days I took it right before bed as well.  I stopped taking Citrucel and my body kept itself eliminating on a regular basis  ;)  I think it's important to also note that I was eating a completely whole foods diet, so between that and the probiotics, I dumped the Citrucel, and everything is still working!!

**cue Hallelujah Chorus**

#28 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi there, Positive Horn Player!

So glad you added an update.  I've been battling the big C lately.  I've been abroad for almost 6 weeks now and I haven't been able to prepare one meal for myself.  I buy things at the grocery store, but can't cook anything.  Can't wait to come home to my own kitchen and I will probably order those recommended probiotics from IH so they're there when I get home, since mine don't seem to be doing the trick as of late.  Need to get that book too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: