Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Question About Iga Deficiency... Can I Still Assume I'm Not Celiac Based On Iga Tests?

3 posts in this topic

I just got back my test results and this is what they said:

Gliadin AB, Iga (GLIAD IGA)      - 1 units   (0-19 being negative)

TISS TRANSGL IGA (TTG IGA) - 1 Units (0-19 being negative)

IMMUNOGLOBULIN A                - 19 mg/dl   (68-378 being normal)

So, while my immunoglobulin level is really low/deficient, are my other test levels low enough to assume that I'm still negative or does having 19 mg/dl of IgA mean that those two other tests are basically useless?  I guess the logical part of my brain says that even with a low IgA level my scores would have been higher than 1 units.  I'd greatly appreciate any input has regarding this.  My GI doctor is very helpful and seems very current in his knowledge of Celiac testing, but I won't see him for a couple weeks and am slightly mentally tortured wondering if I can read anymore into this testing.  I know that he wants me to get the IgG testing (I think that was what he called it).  But I'm wondering if that is just a precaution or if these tests are invalid because of my being IgA deficient. 

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!

Ryan

Ads by Google:

since your IGA is low it invalidates the other two tests.  normally I would type a longer reply, but I am pasting some info I gave to another member with IgA deficiency since I'm short on time.  hope it helps! *see if the lab can run the newer deamidated gliadin (DGP) test vs. the old anti-gliadin test (AGA).  Check with the lab to see which test they run, but based on what you wrote it looks like the older test was run (AGA).

Ask your doctor to request DGP IgG and TTG IgG.

"IgG DGP appears to be very helpful in IgA deficient patients and for some EMA-negative and tTG-negative patients." take a look at pg. 12 and 13 of this report for testing accuracy.  The above statement was found on pg. 13: 

http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

they don't even list ttg IgG, but they do list DGP IgG and it is a very specific test for celiac.  

here is a quote from the following article: "Therefore, a serologic screening by combining tTG IgA with DGP IgG or EmA testing could be considered as the best initial test for celiac disease."

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3170807/

here is a link regarding IgA deficiency in patients with celiac

http://www.curecelia...-celiac-disease

I'd say push for getting that DGP IgG test!

EDIT: here's another great abstract http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22197936

I just got back my test results and this is what they said:

Gliadin AB, Iga (GLIAD IGA)      - 1 units   (0-19 being negative)

TISS TRANSGL IGA (TTG IGA) - 1 Units (0-19 being negative)

IMMUNOGLOBULIN A                - 19 mg/dl   (68-378 being normal)

So, while my immunoglobulin level is really low/deficient, are my other test levels low enough to assume that I'm still negative or does having 19 mg/dl of IgA mean that those two other tests are basically useless?  I guess the logical part of my brain says that even with a low IgA level my scores would have been higher than 1 units.  I'd greatly appreciate any input has regarding this.  My GI doctor is very helpful and seems very current in his knowledge of Celiac testing, but I won't see him for a couple weeks and am slightly mentally tortured wondering if I can read anymore into this testing.  I know that he wants me to get the IgG testing (I think that was what he called it).  But I'm wondering if that is just a precaution or if these tests are invalid because of my being IgA deficient. 

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!

Ryan

With such a low IgA, you are right that those tests are basically useless. You'll have to skip any tests that use IgA.

IgA tests are popular because the are made in mucosal linings which includes the intestines. Immunoglobulin G (IgG) is more abundant in the body and works well too. Tests that use IgG are:

TTG IgG

DGP IgG

AGA IgG

The first two tests will indicate villi damage and the last detects gliadin sensitivity in celiacs and those with non-celiac gluten sensitivity. They all have varying sensitivities; some are better tests than others. This report on pages 11-12 discusses the tests: http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

You might as well try testing with IgG. If those tests are negative you could try an endoscopy (some celiacs are serologically negative). If all that is negative, your extortion wouldbe to try the gluten-free diet for a few months (3-6 months) to see if you are NCGS and improve on the diet.

Good luck!