This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rash On My Back

w8in4dave

w8in4dave Community Regular

Yup I have had this rash on my back for a few weeks now. It doesn't itch too much, it is a lil raised, I can feel it, but when I say to hubbs look at this rash, he says " well I can see where you have been itching but nothing eles" It is at the small of my back where I had back surgery , so it started at an old surgery site, it is now going up my back kinda patchy , I tried taking a pic of it but I cannot really see it. I don't know if it is caused from Lichen Planus. Or This DH everyone is talking about. The funny thing is I take 2 Zyrtec a day!! How can I have a rash if I take 2 Zyrtec a day? I take 2 Zyrtec a day because If I don't I break out in hives!! Or I did, I don't think I would now. I quit taking Zyrtec for a while but with all my allergies I started back up again. I have been taking Zyrtec again for about a month now!! Guess it may be back to the Doc for me!! pffttt! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hmmm noone huh?

squirmingitch Veteran

Do you have celiac disease? Do you think you have celiac disease? If you ask us to give our opinion, then you have to give us some details. I'm not being snarky here please understand that but you don't do yourself any favors coming on & saying you have a rash on your back that you can't show any photos of & ask us if it sounds like dh.

It's no different than if I say that I have a bump on my leg but can't take a photo of it & do you think it's cancer. That's not much info. to go on. You understand?

You got no replies b/c we frankly can't tell you anything with the little amount of info. you gave us.

Your fine, yes I have just been dx'd with Celiac , This rash thing bothers me, well the rash doesn't hurt or really itch , but it is moving up on my back.(thats bothersome), But I am going out of town so I really cannot go see the doc till beginning of August, ..... It is not red or itchy, it is a lil raised I do itch it a lil .. I can feel it more than anything I can tell where it is, but no one eles can see it. But if you run your fingers over the area you can feel it. Another weird thing Is I am getting is a white tounge. Not like there is crap on my toung, but it is white! top and sides, thats weird!! I noticed a few weeks ago my Lichen Planus was inflamed , now it is subsided and I have a white toung. Weird!! I guess if too many things come up I will go see a Dr. Earlier , while I am out of town. 

squirmingitch Veteran

Oh, okay! Now we're getting somewhere. :) So you are dx'd celiac & therefore it's logical & possible that you could have dh. I can tell you that dh itches like a major b%$@# 24/7/365. INSANE itching, stinging, burning, painful ~~~ any one or combo or all 4 at once. And much of the time it presents with water blisters but not always. It really doesn't sound like you have dh. There are lots of rashes associated with celiac disease & it could be any number of those. 

Google white tongue & see what you come up with. Seems like I've run across things on white tongue before but I can't recall what it was.

I think I figured out the white tongue thing, thats just weird!! It is because of my Cpap machine!! I have the moisture content up on high! And I still will wake up with a dry mouth (very dry) and evidently Dry mouth , you get a white tongue. Or can get anyway!! It was so very very weird! Any hoo that I figured out!! Also got my machine working right :) TY. Yea my rash is not very itchy and not stinging painful or nothing .. Just there!! I cannot seem to find it on the web. But I guess I won't really worry about it till I go see the Doc next time. Thank you so much :) 

squirmingitch Veteran

YVW! I'm glad you got the white tongue thing figured out. NOW, that you know what it is we can laugh b/c it's funny right? :D  :D

Gosh, it could be impossible to figure out what exactly the rash is even for you doctor. It could be any of a thousand things. It could be something you are externally sensitive to even though it's only on your back. Did you change laundry soaps or did the co. change the ingredients? Shampoo or conditioner? How about this ~~~ are you rinsing your back extremely well after washing/conditioning your hair or could there be a residue remaining on the skin of your back. It could be something you're eating. Maybe a very, very mild heat rash. There's no telling! The possibilities are almost endless.

I'm hoping it just up & disappears & never presents again. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yea I have had this huge bottle of shampoo since Dec. I don't use Conditioner, My clothes have been washed in the same stuff since forever!! I don't think they changed anything. And even so I think It would be where my clothes sit on my body. I have had issues with laundry detergent and shampoo b4 But I don't think it is that. If it gets inflamed or something I will def try and see a doc. Maby the allergy pills are helping in their own ways.

In a few weeks I see a doc. Thanks :) 

squirmingitch Veteran

Let us know how it turns out at any rate. And have fun on your out of town trip. :)

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I know you thought you may have cracked the case of the white tongue, and perhaps you have.  However, I just wanted to say that my son had a white tongue when he had a yeast infection.  You can also get a rash with yeast infection, I had one as I detoxed.    Have you been on antibiotics and are you taking a probiotic?

Have you checked your medicine for gluten?

D

I know you thought you may have cracked the case of the white tongue, and perhaps you have.  However, I just wanted to say that my son had a white tongue when he had a yeast infection.  You can also get a rash with yeast infection, I had one as I detoxed.    Have you been on antibiotics and are you taking a probiotic?

Have you checked your medicine for gluten?

D

Really??? The white tongue has gone away, A yeast inf? I was on Antibiotics I have Lichen Planus in my mouth it was all inflamed! Now it is just on the roof of my mouth, Dr. had me on Antibiotics for that, (not that I think it does anything! Pfftt!)  the rash does seem to be going away now. I am not taking Probiotics ... I am very new to this Celiac thing!! I have heard the word or I should say seen the word Probiotics slung around but have not looked into it. My Daughter thinks I should be on them ... I have to look it up and see just what it is. This is very informational Thank you so very much!! I do need a journal !! So I can keep this stuff straight!! I should of gotten a pic of my white tongue it kinda freaked me out it was so white and weird looking!! But couple days later it dissipated , it got kinda blotchie for a couple days then it was gone. But it was there for at least a week.

Now what does the Antibiotics have to do with anything? I am just wondering! :) You know I have been thinking, my eyes get kinda dry too.. hmmmm guess I better pump up the water huh?

sisterlynr Explorer

Anti-biotic usage can cause yeast infections.  Many times females will have vag yeast and a single dose of Diflucan will clear the infection.  The tongue will also show a yeast infection by being coated white.  You sure can have a rash from systemic yeast and it is itchy, you can google yeast rash for images.

I just ended a yeast 'flush' by eating high protein, low carbs, no sugar.  I had a script for 14 days of Diflucan, took garlic 3 x a day along with oil of oregano (health store carries this) and used Virgin Coconut Oil to rub on the rash.  It did cause some of my rash to peel.

My doctors (all united now) are trying to come up with a diagnosis.

~Lyn

I have been off of the Antibiotics for a few weeks now, I had a pic of my tounge, because the white kinda came back but it wouldn't download on my laptop!! Pffttt!! also had a pic of my rash! Another weird symptom is my big toenail is falling off!! ...Not black or purple or anything in fact you cannot really tell but I was washing my feet and noticed it. I am going on Vaca here Monday!! I hope it doesn't fall off b4 then!! pffttt! 

• 2 weeks later...
foam Apprentice

I have the white tounge and rash, I've had a severe rash / sores on my back and chest for 20 years. I've also been pumping down the Zyrtec over the last 7 months and it certainly takes the edge off it and so has lowering my IgE levels from 4000+ to 2000. However the anti histamine/mast cell stablizer I'm on now is working much much better than 2x Zyrtecs a day. I don't think white tounge is actually candida most of the time, Candida has a distinctive look, it's more likely bacteria growing on longer than normal tounge hairs caused by inflammation of the small intestine. That's what seems to have happened in my case anyway. The rash is obviously histamine escaping the body in my case, although it took me 20 years to figure that out.

Later on I developed a tumour in my neck which has been near impossible to diagnose but considering it hasn't killed me we are going with the ultra rare Kimura's disease as clinically it's the only thing which ticks all the boxes, which is either caused by all the above, or causes all the above... no one knows :0. Having lived with it myself I believe the correct order of problems goes like this.

1) Celiac disease

2) Damaged (leaky) gut

3) Increasing IgE levels

4) Increasing histamine levels

5) Extreme gut damge

6) Chronic Eosinophilia from above damage

7) Kimura's disease forming due the the lymph system being unable to process all the broken cells and being forced to remodel the Lymph node to cope.

The point of the story is, the rash's we all have are generally histamine related but there are 4 known types of Histamine and Zyrtec more or less only blocks 1 of the 4. Which is why it doesn't give you a cure but definitely helps. If you stop the mast cell from releasing any of the 4 Histamines, well that's going to work better.

TY Foam , I still have the rash, it is moving up my back just a bit more ... I still have kinda white tounge , I do think it is yeast because not my big toenails are starting to come up. I just noticed not long ago. 1 is lifting from the back and I looked atthe other big toe and it is starting to have a "Funny" look to it. SO I do think it is yeast inf. I am on Vaca right now. When I get home I will have it checked out. I have been taking Zyrtec for at least 2 years, 2 a day for hives. if idon't take them it starts at 4 am and at about 12 noon it is about gone. Sometimes I will not take it and no hives then a week later I will get hives. So back on I go. Maby once 100% gluten free I will be hive, rash, yeast free lol .... one can wish anyway!

TY Foam , I still have the rash, it is moving up my back just a bit more ... I still have kinda white tounge , I do think it is yeast because not my big toenails are starting to come up. I just noticed not long ago. 1 is lifting from the back and I looked atthe other big toe and it is starting to have a "Funny" look to it. SO I do think it is yeast inf. I am on Vaca right now. When I get home I will have it checked out. I have been taking Zyrtec for at least 2 years, 2 a day for hives. if idon't take them it starts at 4 am and at about 12 noon it is about gone. Sometimes I will not take it and no hives then a week later I will get hives. So back on I go. Maby once 100% gluten free I will be hive, rash, yeast free lol .... one can wish anyway!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I believe the toe nail thing is fungus.  I had one toe with fungus.  I think it is recovering.  I believe that Candida is a fungus, but I am not sure if it causes the problem with nails or some other fungus causes it.  I haven't put anything on my nail fungus lately, but am reasonably certain going gluten free, and intolerant food free has helped.  Probably using digestive enzymes helped also.  Without them my body was pretty lousy at breaking down food.  Fungus just thrives on leftovers.

D

I am going home tomorrow, have been on vaca for two weeks. I wanted to paint my nail b4 I left, but i know sometimes polish can cause nails to yellow. I don't want it to take on another weird look. As for the white tongue it is still there. Not as white as it was in the beginning, it seems to come and go. The rash is still there moving up my back. Thing is you cannot see it but I can feel it. It feels like dry scaly skin... I cannot w8 to see the Doc next week .... Just get tired of having issues!! 

My latest issue is having D the last two days! I have been Gluten free for about a month now and have been feeling so good! Except the last two days , the ONLY thing I can think of is , I have been drinking homemade Lemon aide , and I had some Yogurt. Not sure if any of those two would do anything but seems thats the only difference ....Ohhh well just something eles to tell my Dr. 

Archived