19 replies to this topic

#16 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

I worked with a hair client that was missing large patches of hair.  It worked best with minimal (long) layers.  Literally the ends of the hair are cut in points. Like VVVVVVVV  Point cutting can also help with natural wave/curl.  (On fine hair a straight line _________ shows how thin the hair is.  If you are able to tolerate hair coloring.....  Use a gel colorant (a hair stylist will know what I'm talking about).  It will be applied from a bottle, not a cream colorant applied with a brush.  The gel hair colorant tends to "let natural highlights show through" because each strand is NOT colored the same amount.  Highlights are a great option.  Mixing in lighter strands of high creates the look of depth.  (All without chemical contact with  the scalp.)

She did allow me to show her how coloring the scalp area (with eyeshadow ~ I didn't have any Joan Rivers stuff on hand) looked great and really hides some of the hair loss.  So as long as the product stays put it really does look nice.

Michigan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

I never had thick hair.

And I had really terrible hair loss from malabsorption before DX. 

My thyroid has been checked and re-checked and because I have no other hypothyroid related issues, I know that is not the problem.

I took a boatload of B vitamins, especially biotin. No change.

Now, 2.5 years after DX----  my hair started to come back and look much better.

Why? I am pretty sure it is because I take BioCell Collagen for the serious muscle, joint and connective tissue issues

I have and as a result, my hair has also become stronger and  the bald spots are filling in.

I also stopped chemically coloring my hair. I go to someone who does organic color and this has also helped make my hair appear more thick. I keep it layered and short and this also helps.

Like Mommida suggests, highlighting is also an option, although it has been a while since I did it.

If I am accidentally glutened..I have massive shedding.  Make sure you're not getting hit by CC somehow.

Just some suggestions.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 BSVD

BSVD

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

I worked with a hair client that was missing large patches of hair.  It worked best with minimal (long) layers.  Literally the ends of the hair are cut in points. Like VVVVVVVV  Point cutting can also help with natural wave/curl.  (On fine hair a straight line _________ shows how thin the hair is.  If you are able to tolerate hair coloring.....  Use a gel colorant (a hair stylist will know what I'm talking about).  It will be applied from a bottle, not a cream colorant applied with a brush.  The gel hair colorant tends to "let natural highlights show through" because each strand is NOT colored the same amount.  Highlights are a great option.  Mixing in lighter strands of high creates the look of depth.  (All without chemical contact with  the scalp.)

She did allow me to show her how coloring the scalp area (with eyeshadow ~ I didn't have any Joan Rivers stuff on hand) looked great and really hides some of the hair loss.  So as long as the product stays put it really does look nice.

I've been highlighting my hair for many years to cover gray. About 6 months ago I started getting high/low lights to cover increased gray. So is  the gel colorant something to match the natural color? What color eye shadow could I use - my natural color? And how is it applied? Thanks for the tips!

#19 BSVD

BSVD

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

I have alopecia areata and have for the last 11 Years, I have recently discovered a spot on my head right at the top of my crown, that I too am trying to figure out how to handle when it gets bigger.  Right now I am thinking pretty scarves and headbands might do the trick, but we will see where the spot grows to. 

What I would recomend to you is to get an IGG test to see what other foods cause inflamation in your body. For me it was dairy and when I gave it up it made a huge difference.  My hair loss never completly stopped,  but it did slow down considerably.  Lately I have gotten lazy and have been eating cheese, and my hair is falling out as bad as it was before gluten free/ dairy free changes.  So as of today, I am starting an elimination diet. 

If you watch your skin it can also tell you if you are reacting to another food.   I always break out when I eat dairy. 

Also,  think about your stress level 6-8 weeks ago.  That is how long it takes your body to react to stress and anxiety.  8 weeks ago my brother's(whom I am very close to) house burned down. 

Remember, it can take up to 2 years for gluten to leave your body, and if you are like me,  you goofed a lot initially. 

That makes me feel better, because a lot of people have said to me that as early as 2 weeks I could feel like a whole new person - probably better than I've felt in 10 years. And it hasn't been that quick for me!! I'm sure I messed up in the beginning and am still learning. I keep telling family members that its a process. Where I live it's hot pretty much all year round and I don't think I could bear wearing a wig. No offense to the guys but at least it's a bit stylish to shave your head:) Thanks for the suggestions

#20 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

I had eyeshadow available to try out what shade of color would look best.  Really use the products designed for this special purpose.  I have heard about Joan River's products (QVC does great promotion for products).  There are other products that are color fibers shaped like miniature feathers or pipe cleaners to clump and grab onto natural hair.

As for color...  I liked the look of 1/2 to 1 shade darker on the scalp.  Hair color does fade naturally, so a persons ends are naturally lighter. (or a perfect match)  Problem is there are 9 shades of hair.  Levels 1-3 are not discernable to the naked eye.  Your color choices for these products are usually about 5 shades.

Permanent hair colors have different strength.  As a rule the cream colorants (brushed on the hair) are used for full coverage; gel (from the bottle ~ but some hairdressers do use a brush) for more of a translucent coverage.

If you want to change your natural color, please stay within 2 shades of your natural level.  The more contrast to your skin tone~ the older you will look.  As a rule when that grey hair starts creaping in the skin has gotten lighter too. 

Michigan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: