This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

BSVD

BSVD Rookie

I need advice on covering up hair loss. Mine is most noticeable in the front. The best way to describe it is similar to male pattern baldness. (I'm a female age 50) I am wondering of a really short style would help, what color, layered or not? Stuff like that. I found out I have Alopecia about a year before I was diagnosed with Celiac. I've been hoping it would start getting better with the gluten free diet.....but it's just getting worse. Any suggestion?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VeggieGal Contributor

Just a thought, but if you haven't already, it may be worth you getting your thyroid checked as it can cause hair thinning.

BSVD Rookie

Just a thought, but if you haven't already, it may be worth you getting your thyroid checked as it can cause hair thinning.

Yes I have under active thyroid and on medication for that too

nvsmom Community Regular

celiac disease caused my alopecia as well as thyroiditis flare-ups (or other AI flare-ups) and changes in thyroid meds. Going gluten-free did help but because of my other issues, it hasn't stopped totally. I still get periods of massive shedding.

I tend to go for short bobbed hair-dos that require no volume. Long hair looks stringy on my head, and is only good for ponytails which can disguise the thin spots... it's a sad poytail with a circumference of less than a dime though.  yuck. :wacko: I try to keep my hair fairly flat on my head too because if I go for body, you can see my scalp quite far back on my head (almost a couple of inches). some hairstyles are supposed o be thinner and flatter - I go for those.

I keep my hair natural, which is a brow speckle with grey. I think lighter colours would diguise the thinness better but my colouring, and dark eyebrows and body hair would look silly on a blonde.

Good luck!  I know it's frustrating.

BSVD Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions nvsmom. I have been trying make it look like I have more volume and maybe that's part of the problem. I'll talk to my hair dresser next week about going with a short straight look. I've been looking at the PRP treatments on line - maybe that's an option in the future.

Mr. GF in Indiana Newbie

This is a long shot...I discovered even two years after diagnosis, my vitamin levels were STILL all low (D, B's) and I started a course of very heavy vitamin B. In essence, I had "dry beri-beri". Even though I was always taking vitamins...it didn't get into my blood for some reason, and this is apparently not unusual in autoimmune disease. (I am male, bald at 23). My sister is nonresponsive to vitamins, they are injecting her every few weeks with B's, not sure if she can eventually get along with pill mega-B's (I think each pill I take is 6000% of RDA, seems pretty overboard to me, but it is working somewhat).

Oh...second long, long shot...my prescribed medications that were checked and approved, by six separate doctors for conflict...yeah, some of them turn out, to be one of the rare meds that can block thyroid supplement, so that even though my thyroid test read as if I was fine, I wasn't getting thyroid in the cells enough. BIG difference when I figured that out using experimentation, research, and then confirmed it with rxlist.com. But my hair isn't growing back (then again, male pattern baldness).

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I also have problems with hair loss. Mine thins badly at times plus I have a spot on my crown that has a scar from an accident. A couple years ago I tried a product put out by Joan Rivers (I get it from QVC). It is a powder that you can apply on the areas that are thinning. I was doubtful at first but it stays where it was put until washed out and does a great job of disguising those spots until the new hair grows in. It doesn't solve the hair loss issue but it helps my confidence level until that hair grows back, which takes me at least 3 months or so.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

I though about looking for those powders to colour my scalp but I though I would probably get all over my hair and pillows. It stayed put , eh? Hmmmmmm.

GottaSki Mentor

I can't really complain as I have always had too much hair...but here is the observation....for decades I was losing huge amounts of hair each time I showered or brushed -- in reading this thread I just realized I am no longer losing hair at this alarming rate -- can't say exactly the cause of this change other then I am finally a bit more healthy -- AI type symptoms are fewer and farther between. 

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I though about looking for those powders to colour my scalp but I though I would probably get all over my hair and pillows. It stayed put , eh? Hmmmmmm.

Yea that brand stays where you put it. It is the only product of that kind that I have ever tried. It worked so well I have never tried any other. I was skeptical when I ordered it but now I wouldn't be without it.

BSVD Rookie

Mr gluten-free- how did you finally figure out that your body was not absorbing the thyroid medication?

bartfull Rising Star

My hair is really thin and really fine - like spider silk. When I was taking B12 and biotin it seemed like it was starting to grow in but my other intolerances kicked in and I haven't found any supplements I can take (yet). My hair is long and I wear it up. I stand upside down with the hair spray and push it around until it looks like I have hair.

So this spray you are talking about - does it come in salt and pepper color?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My hair is really thin and really fine - like spider silk. When I was taking B12 and biotin it seemed like it was starting to grow in but my other intolerances kicked in and I haven't found any supplements I can take (yet). My hair is long and I wear it up. I stand upside down with the hair spray and push it around until it looks like I have hair.

So this spray you are talking about - does it come in salt and pepper color?

The stuff I am talking about is a powder in a compact with a application brush. It does come in a salt and pepper (grey) shade. It doesn't make the hair itself thicker but hides the thin spots at the scalp. If someone dyes their hair it will help to hide the roots growing in as it will stick to hair as well as scalp.  I have seen a product, I think it was also on QVC, that will thicken the hair with fibers but haven't looked into it and don't know the ingredients so don't know if it would be safe for us.  

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Just realized I never gave the name of the product. Duh. It is called Great Hair Day and is put out by Joan Rivers.

thegirlsmom Apprentice

I have alopecia areata and have for the last 11 Years, I have recently discovered a spot on my head right at the top of my crown, that I too am trying to figure out how to handle when it gets bigger.  Right now I am thinking pretty scarves and headbands might do the trick, but we will see where the spot grows to. 

What I would recomend to you is to get an IGG test to see what other foods cause inflamation in your body. For me it was dairy and when I gave it up it made a huge difference.  My hair loss never completly stopped,  but it did slow down considerably.  Lately I have gotten lazy and have been eating cheese, and my hair is falling out as bad as it was before gluten free/ dairy free changes.  So as of today, I am starting an elimination diet. 

If you watch your skin it can also tell you if you are reacting to another food.   I always break out when I eat dairy. 

Also,  think about your stress level 6-8 weeks ago.  That is how long it takes your body to react to stress and anxiety.  8 weeks ago my brother's(whom I am very close to) house burned down. 

Remember, it can take up to 2 years for gluten to leave your body, and if you are like me,  you goofed a lot initially. 

mommida Enthusiast

I worked with a hair client that was missing large patches of hair.  It worked best with minimal (long) layers.  Literally the ends of the hair are cut in points. Like VVVVVVVV  Point cutting can also help with natural wave/curl.  (On fine hair a straight line _________ shows how thin the hair is.  If you are able to tolerate hair coloring.....  Use a gel colorant (a hair stylist will know what I'm talking about).  It will be applied from a bottle, not a cream colorant applied with a brush.  The gel hair colorant tends to "let natural highlights show through" because each strand is NOT colored the same amount.  Highlights are a great option.  Mixing in lighter strands of high creates the look of depth.  (All without chemical contact with  the scalp.)

She did allow me to show her how coloring the scalp area (with eyeshadow ~ I didn't have any Joan Rivers stuff on hand) looked great and really hides some of the hair loss.  So as long as the product stays put it really does look nice.

IrishHeart Veteran

I never had thick hair.

And I had really terrible hair loss from malabsorption before DX. 

My thyroid has been checked and re-checked and because I have no other hypothyroid related issues, I know that is not the problem.

I took a boatload of B vitamins, especially biotin. No change.

Now, 2.5 years after DX----  my hair started to come back and look much better.

Why? I am pretty sure it is because I take BioCell Collagen for the serious muscle, joint and connective tissue issues

I have and as a result, my hair has also become stronger and  the bald spots are filling in.

I also stopped chemically coloring my hair. I go to someone who does organic color and this has also helped make my hair appear more thick. I keep it layered and short and this also helps.

Like Mommida suggests, highlighting is also an option, although it has been a while since I did it.

If I am accidentally glutened..I have massive shedding.  Make sure you're not getting hit by CC somehow.

Just some suggestions.

BSVD Rookie

I worked with a hair client that was missing large patches of hair.  It worked best with minimal (long) layers.  Literally the ends of the hair are cut in points. Like VVVVVVVV  Point cutting can also help with natural wave/curl.  (On fine hair a straight line _________ shows how thin the hair is.  If you are able to tolerate hair coloring.....  Use a gel colorant (a hair stylist will know what I'm talking about).  It will be applied from a bottle, not a cream colorant applied with a brush.  The gel hair colorant tends to "let natural highlights show through" because each strand is NOT colored the same amount.  Highlights are a great option.  Mixing in lighter strands of high creates the look of depth.  (All without chemical contact with  the scalp.)

She did allow me to show her how coloring the scalp area (with eyeshadow ~ I didn't have any Joan Rivers stuff on hand) looked great and really hides some of the hair loss.  So as long as the product stays put it really does look nice.

I've been highlighting my hair for many years to cover gray. About 6 months ago I started getting high/low lights to cover increased gray. So is  the gel colorant something to match the natural color? What color eye shadow could I use - my natural color? And how is it applied? Thanks for the tips!

BSVD Rookie

I have alopecia areata and have for the last 11 Years, I have recently discovered a spot on my head right at the top of my crown, that I too am trying to figure out how to handle when it gets bigger.  Right now I am thinking pretty scarves and headbands might do the trick, but we will see where the spot grows to. 

What I would recomend to you is to get an IGG test to see what other foods cause inflamation in your body. For me it was dairy and when I gave it up it made a huge difference.  My hair loss never completly stopped,  but it did slow down considerably.  Lately I have gotten lazy and have been eating cheese, and my hair is falling out as bad as it was before gluten free/ dairy free changes.  So as of today, I am starting an elimination diet. 

If you watch your skin it can also tell you if you are reacting to another food.   I always break out when I eat dairy. 

Also,  think about your stress level 6-8 weeks ago.  That is how long it takes your body to react to stress and anxiety.  8 weeks ago my brother's(whom I am very close to) house burned down. 

Remember, it can take up to 2 years for gluten to leave your body, and if you are like me,  you goofed a lot initially. 

That makes me feel better, because a lot of people have said to me that as early as 2 weeks I could feel like a whole new person - probably better than I've felt in 10 years. And it hasn't been that quick for me!! I'm sure I messed up in the beginning and am still learning. I keep telling family members that its a process. Where I live it's hot pretty much all year round and I don't think I could bear wearing a wig. No offense to the guys but at least it's a bit stylish to shave your head:) Thanks for the suggestions

mommida Enthusiast

I had eyeshadow available to try out what shade of color would look best.  Really use the products designed for this special purpose.  I have heard about Joan River's products (QVC does great promotion for products).  There are other products that are color fibers shaped like miniature feathers or pipe cleaners to clump and grab onto natural hair.

As for color...  I liked the look of 1/2 to 1 shade darker on the scalp.  Hair color does fade naturally, so a persons ends are naturally lighter. (or a perfect match)  Problem is there are 9 shades of hair.  Levels 1-3 are not discernable to the naked eye.  Your color choices for these products are usually about 5 shades.

Permanent hair colors have different strength.  As a rule the cream colorants (brushed on the hair) are used for full coverage; gel (from the bottle ~ but some hairdressers do use a brush) for more of a translucent coverage.

If you want to change your natural color, please stay within 2 shades of your natural level.  The more contrast to your skin tone~ the older you will look.  As a rule when that grey hair starts creaping in the skin has gotten lighter too. 

Archived