Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Reactions To Ciproflaxin Or Fluconazole?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 shayre

shayre

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:38 AM

Hi.  I took Cipro (Cobalt mfg)  last night for a UTI...and flucanozole (Ivax/Teva mfg).  I feel horrible this morning!!!  Does anyone know if it might contain gluten?  I tried calling both mfg, but they are closed for the weekend.  I am being tortured...just trying to see if it's the medication, since I'm due to take it again.  Can anyone out there help?  Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

Might want to check this list?  Maybe the meds bother you and it has nothing to do with gluten?

http://www.glutenfre...gs.com/list.pdf

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 shayre

shayre

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

Might want to check this list?  Maybe the meds bother you and it has nothing to do with gluten?

http://www.glutenfre...gs.com/list.pdf

Thank you for your help.  I checked it, and it says Cipro, but does not list it's generic equivalents.  Bummed...

#4 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

Call the pharmacy they will be able to tell you.  I get all my meds at Walmart and the pharmacist always checks mine for me. 

Have a Bless Day!  :)

Denise

#5 shayre

shayre

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Call the pharmacy they will be able to tell you.  I get all my meds at Walmart and the pharmacist always checks mine for me. 

Thank you.  We use Walgreens, and they are not usually helpful since they just read the ingredient list looking for it.  I did that already, but the pharmacists can't tell me whether the main ingredient is derived from a process of gluten as secondary.  Those ingredients are not required to be listed, or whether they run it on equipment that has had gluten.  I am super sensitive, so the pharmacist is no help.  Thank you so much for trying though:)

#6 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Please read the drug sheet provided by the manufacturer.  It should have been provided with the drug by your pharmacist. If not, it's available on-line.  This drug (Cipro and it's class of fluoroquinolones) has a black box warning (FDA's sternest warning)  which means there are significant side effects.   The worse side effect is spontaneous snapping/ruptured tendons!  I will never take this drug again (given after my gallbladder surgery)  as I developed neuropathies from it.  The side effects can last and develop for years.  Please do some research on this drug.    

I had no side effects from the anti-fungal you're taking (my liver was happy).  

http://www.webmd.com...rupture-tendons

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

I had a bad reaction to Cipro as well, turned red all over like a lobster and my doctor

told me never to take a quinolone/flouro antibiotic again. Could be just the drug?

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: