arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Cranberry Juice, Vitamin Supplements,tofu (And More)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 nodrog

nodrog

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Sorry you thread got hijacked.

To answer your question about foods labelled gluten-free. In the US, there is no definition of gluten-free. Many companies choose to test for gluten and label gluten-free. Some label gluten-free if they use no gluten in the product. Many don't bother to label gluten-free but that doesn't mean there is gluten in the ingredient. For example, canned tomatoes - ingredients : tomatoes, water, salt. That is gluten-free. Probably not labelled gluten-free or tested for gluten as ere is no reason to add that expense to the product.

Because we have no law for what is gluten-free, many companies are waiting to label things gluten-free. Also, its a bit misleading for a company to label an apple as gluten-free. It is naturally gluten-free.

We're you tested for Celiac? You should not eat gluten-free until all the testing is done or they might come up negative. You produce the antibodies and the damage, that is being tested for, when eating gluten. No gluten, no antibodies, basically. Also, Celiac isn't an allergy it is an autoimmune disease.

Have you read the Newbie thread? A lot of basic info there.

Let me get the link
http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

Thanks for your reply, kareng.  Yes I did read that link.

gordon

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

For several months I had been, and have been, having trouble with an excess amount of gas, bloated abdomen, and so on. My primary physician suggested I take Beano and simethicone to relieve these symptoms.  These didn't seem to be working, so he sent me to have blood work done and to provide stool samples.  None of these tests resulted in anything that stood out.  He then had me get a cat scan.  Again, nothing stood out. (Meanwhile he had me continue taking the Beano and simethicone) In desperation, or perhaps in exasperation, he referred me to a gasterenterolgist.   The gasterenterologist  had me stop taking the Beano and simethicone and instead has me on a probiotic (Align). He also had me stop taking the antibiotic medication I was using to manage a urinary tract infection. He, too, sent me to have blood work done and to provide stool samples.  In adition, he sent me to have xrays and a flouroscopy done. He has me scheduled for a followup appointment this coming Tuesday.  And he suggested I might be allergic to celiac and gluten intolerant, which has lead me to ask the following questions. 

If a product is not labeled gluten-free, does that mean it is not gluten-free? Do some food producers not think it is important to label something gluten-free or not? For example the tofu I buy at Trader Joe's is not labeled gluten-free, but I had read somewhere that tofu in general is gluten-free. My local Trader Joe's has a list of gluten-free products, probably a nation-wide generated list.  The list indicates that the Trader Joe's canned pink salmon is gluten-free, but the can says nothing about being gluten-free.

I also drink Langer's Zero Sugar Added Cranberry Joice to ward off urinary tract infections, but the label says nothing about it being gluten-free.  What should I be reading on the juice label ingredients to warn me if I am gluten intolerant?

How about vitamin supplements?  I noticed that the fourth ingredient on my Centrium multivitamin shows Mannitol (Wheat), so I guess I'll have to stop taking this supplement.  This leads me to another question.  For over twenty years, I have had an ileostomy.  That means, among other things, that I cannot use gel forms of medications because I cannot absorb them properly. Instead, I need to take capsule, chewable, or liquid forms of medication.  (I use a fish oil omega three supplement, instead of a gel tablet.)

I know these are lot of questios to pose for a first post, and I even may have omitted some questions that slipped my mind, but I would greatly appreciate your advice and suggestions and eagerly await your responses.

Thank you very much.

Gordon

(By the way, the Align doesn't seem to be having any affect on my symptoms.)

Looks like your juice actually says its gluten-free.  Most juice would be gluten-free.  Besides an obvious wheat ingredient (not likely in a juice), it could list barley malt or just malt as a sweetener.  Its an expensive sweetener and not used very often.

.http://www.langers.com/

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#18 nodrog

nodrog

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Looks like your juice actually says its gluten-free.  Most juice would be gluten-free.  Besides an obvious wheat ingredient (not likely in a juice), it could list barley malt or just malt as a sweetener.  Its an expensive sweetener and not used very often.

.http://www.langers.com/

Thanks for that link.  I looked pretty carefully on the bottle, but I didn't see "gluten-free" on the label.

gordon

#19 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

gordon:   what are the ingredients on your juice - is it just plain fruit juice?  or if not, what exactly is added to it?

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

gordon:   what are the ingredients on your juice - is it just plain fruit juice?  or if not, what exactly is added to it?

On the website for the juice it says all their juices are gluten-free.  So I gave him the link.

LTES

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#21 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

On the website for the juice it says all their juices are gluten-free.  So I gave him the link.

oops, sorry, k - didn't look at the link - i'm the warden at the stoopit prison today :)

edited to add:  babysitting my niece and nephew lolz - yes, you must eat lunch!!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 nodrog

nodrog

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Oatmeal can be problematic, so I pose this question,.I have been buying John McCann Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal from Trader Joe's for some time.  The container does not say anything about being gluten-free, but it also does not say anything about having wheat as an ingredient.  In fact, the only thing it really says is that it is "100 whole grain."  Can I eat the oatmeal?

http://www.mccanns.ie/p_SteelCut.html

gordon

#23 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Oatmeal can be problematic, so I pose this question,.I have been buying John McCann Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal from Trader Joe's for some time.  The container does not say anything about being gluten-free, but it also does not say anything about having wheat as an ingredient.  In fact, the only thing it really says is that it is "100 whole grain."  Can I eat the oatmeal?

http://www.mccanns.ie/p_SteelCut.html

gordon

No.

Oatmeal is an exception. It must say gluten-free. It's just one of those odd things.

However, because a significant percentage of Celiacs react to gluten-free oat, it is recommended that you do not eat them until 6 -12 months gluten-free. Then add them back and see how you do.

LTES

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#24 nodrog

nodrog

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:54 AM

No.

Oatmeal is an exception. It must say gluten-free. It's just one of those odd things.

However, because a significant percentage of Celiacs react to gluten-free oat, it is recommended that you do not eat them until 6 -12 months gluten-free. Then add them back and see how you do.

Kareng, thanks again for your advice and comments.  I really appreciate it.  This afternoon I see my gastroenterologist for the first time since I had my blood work, stool samples, x-rays, fluoroscopy. We'll see what, if any, conclusions he might have drawn

Thanks, again.

gordon

#25 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

Do not eat the McCann's Oatmeal!  I made that mistake early on and had a pretty good reaction to it.  It is not gluten free...like Quaker Oatmeal.  I do not react to gluten free oats at all but if you buy any that are mainstream and are not from a dedicated facilty/processing, you will probably react to them from cc.

As far as the advice from the AMA to wait a long time before trying oatmeal....I didn't.  My gut was totally trashed at diagnosis too.  I waited only 2 months and tried the certified gluten-free oats with great success.  Go figure!  I would say that if you ate oatmeal regularly, like I did, before you were diagnosed, you may not have to wait.  It can be a fiber issue.  Many people do not eat enough fiber in their diets so when they try oatmeal, the fiber causes problems that mimic a gluten reaction.  I love oatmeal and didn't want to wait.

#26 nodrog

nodrog

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:16 AM

The gastroenterologist said I'm negative on celiac.

#27 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

In response to the original question... yes there are items that are not distinctly labeled gluten free that are in fact gluten free.  Like other people have said, here in the US, they have to distinguish if their product is MADE with the eight common allergens, of which wheat/gluten is one.  However, because many companies do make wheat products, they may not label their products as gluten free even if there is no wheat in it, because as I'm sure you are aware, the US is sue-happy.

HOWEVER with that said, the items that are pretty much single ingredients are good bets you are safe eating.  To use one of your examples, tofu most likely in and of itself (if you can have soy of course) is safe, however tofu with a flavoring may not be.  (Especially if the flavoring is soy sauce...)

My suggestion is, take your favorite brands, and search them, see what they have that they say is gluten free... Many companies have lists of gluten free products, since its becoming more and more diagnosed in today's world.

EDIT:  PS Drink Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice.  Almost all Ocean Spray products are gluten-free, with the exception of their trail mixes

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: