#1 eve789

eve789

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:37 AM

Hi all,

I'm raising a backyard flock 17 chickens (who range on two acres) on an organic, gluten-free, soy-free feed (peas, lentils, sunflower seeds, millet, and non-GMO corn, if I can find a source nearby), garden scraps, emphasizing greens + insects whenever and however possible.

My question is, I'd like to find folks preferably local (I am in central NJ), or if I can find a way of sending eggs in the mail, perhaps farther, to barter our extra eggs for some other kind of good or produce. I know that it can be very difficult for folks with celiac who react to the trace amount of gluten in most eggs to find "gluten free eggs" unless they raise their own backyard flocks. Doing it this way is a bit more expensive and a bit more work, and I'd like to share the goodness. I'm just wondering if anyone here might benefit from our extra eggs?

Fresh, unwashed eggs can last up to 7 months in a refrigerator and about a month unrefrigerated.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:55 AM

I would love it, but I'm not close enough. 

#3 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Oh man...not this again!   :blink:

I think it's great that you raise chickens for fresh eggs because they really are nice to have BUT there is no trace gluten in any egg.  Anyone new to Celiac or the gluten-free diet needs to know...eggs are safe.  Really...they are.

Good luck with the chickens!   :)

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

I would suggest you find your local farmer's market.  Or donate your extra eggs to your local food bank.  ;)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

I had a phone call with a farmer who had been shipping eggs in the mail.  Some government agency had come down on her.  Eggs need to be shipped in a narrow temperature window and they were still trying to figure out a way to do that.  It probably wouldn't be practical for a flock of 17 hens.  Lisa's idea is a good one.  There is a pasture raised meat and egg person at my market who usually has a big line of people at her stall.  You could also freeze them for the winter.  I do that as it is cold here in the winter so they supplement the pasture raised hens with feed and I start reacting.  I am super sensitive.

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

I had a phone call with a farmer who had been shipping eggs in the mail.  Some government agency had come down on her.  Eggs need to be shipped in a narrow temperature window and they were still trying to figure out a way to do that.  It probably wouldn't be practical for a flock of 17 hens.  Lisa's idea is a good one.  There is a pasture raised meat and egg person at my market who usually has a big line of people at her stall.  You could also freeze them for the winter.  I do that as it is cold here in the winter so they supplement the pasture raised hens with feed and I start reacting.  I am super sensitive.

Maybe a stupid question but....

How are you freezing eggs?  I have frozen them cooked like scrambled/casserole.  For some reason I never thought of freezing them raw.  This would be great for traveling. 

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Karen,

I have made home made ice cream before and saved the egg whites from all those yolks I used, put them in an ice cube tray and then stored them in a bag once frozen.  Here is a website that lays out how to freeze eggs, but yes they do freeze well, out of the shell of course.  For whole eggs I would beat them, and freeze in ice cube trays so you can dump them all in a ziploc and take out just what you need.  However with fresh eggs being so readily available most people would consider this a hassle.

http://www.georgiaeg...eezingeggs.html

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: