Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Healed Some Of Their Intolerances?

gluten soy casein potato chicken corn oats quinoa

• Please log in to reply

27 replies to this topic

#1 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been strictly gluten free for about 1 year.  I do not have diagnosed celiac disease but I know I was very sick before I cut it out.  When I went gluten free I noticed I felt much better but about 3 months in noticed a soy intolerance.  Then came lactose then casein and most recently chicken, potato, Certified gluten-free oats, quinoa and corn.  Corn has been the bane of my existence.  I can not tolerate even distilled white vinegar (derived from corn). 

That said, I feel so much better.  Normal and healthy most of the time.  I am shocked and amazed by how healthy and happy I feel after having years of debilitating migraines, IBS, and neuropathy.  These foods gone, I feel great!

So, I am by no means complaining but seriously....did anyone ever get their foods back? Obviously gluten is NEVER reintroduced.  But I do miss potato.  I miss soy (tamari please!).  I realllllly miss cheese!  I know one year is not that long for healing but I have to ask, have you been able to reintroduce your intolerances?  How long did it take for you?  Also, for those of you with other grain intolerances, ever reintroduce those? 

I am really curious as to other grain intolerances like corn.  Would be nice not to worry about salt (iodized table salt has corn as a binding agent). 

Thanks everyone! 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seraphim

seraphim

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Yes I have heard of it. Sometimes the gut just needs a break and after a few years people get things back. Do you take probiotics? They're suppose to help as well. I'm going to try taking some soon myself. Never have had any before and wasn't a yogurt fan. We'll see how it goes.

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

I lost soy, corn, potatoes, and salicylates. So far I have gotten potatoes and other nightshades back, I got corn STARCH back (but not any other form of corn), can now eat salicylates if I go easy, and as for soy, I have no interest in even trying it. (It's really not good for me so why try? Not only does is mimic hormones, but almost all soy is now GMO.)

It was about a year and 1/2 to get the corn starch back, and almost two years before I got potatoes back. Hang in there and keep trying occasionally. One day you might find one of your old poisons is no longer poison to you. But if you DO get something back, try not to overdo it or you may lose it again. And if you get accidentally glutened, I would avoid all of these other trouble foods for a while. After a glutening I lost the corn starch I had gotten back. I think I could eat it again now but haven't bothered trying it yet.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:55 AM

Yes as my gut heals I have been able to successfully reintroduce some foods.

Eggs( hallelujah :D ) most nightshades ( except potatoes & eggplant all though limited amounts of potato starch is ok ) , rice , legumes ( except peanuts ) , nuts ,most fruits  ( although I need to watch bananas still )and most vegetables (trialing cauliflower soon) are on the success list .

Corn,potatoes,peanuts,soy,oats (actually all grains except rice)  chicken ( and of course gluten ) are still off limits for me .

This looks to be a permanent list ( with the possible exception  of chicken I have not tried to reintroduce it  )

Oh and coffee how could I forget coffee :wub:  was a successful  reintroduction  .

I am sure there are other foods I forgot to list but you get the idea B)

Edited by a1956chill, 01 July 2013 - 05:27 AM.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Yes -- not many yet -- but I can do a small amount of rice or corn with no ill effect -- too much and I do have issue.  I firmly believe I'll get many foods back....currently growing heirloom tomatoes for my next challenge :)

PS...a very wise woman whom did get some foods back once told me the most important part of re-gaining foods -- trial with a small amount...don't overdo...I found this to be very true --- tried beans a few months back, did not have my previous reaction to them so ate more as they tasted so darn good...second day of beans was a huge mistake....when you trial wait a full three days after the first serving to make sure there are no delayed reactions or your trial will be a muddied.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

I had been unable to have dairy for years before diagnosis.  After about a year I tried some cheese and was able to tolerate it.  These days I can have about 3 glasses of milk a day.  (It's from grass fed).

#7 LeakyGutRsrch

LeakyGutRsrch

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Reason for the food allergies is impaired intestinal barrier (leaky gut). You heal it by avoiding gluten and alcohol , vegetable oils, coffee permanently and the foods that you react to temporarily. Also vitamin D level (from suntanning preferably), increase saturated fat intake, google Paleo diet or even better Autoimmune paleo diet. If done right takes 4-8 months. 

This way I healed my intestines to the extent that i can eat fructose and dairy daily, and I  no longer have the reaction I used to have.

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Reason for the food allergies is impaired intestinal barrier (leaky gut). You heal it by avoiding gluten and alcohol , vegetable oils, coffee permanently and the foods that you react to temporarily. Also vitamin D level (from suntanning preferably), increase saturated fat intake, google Paleo diet or even better Autoimmune paleo diet. If done right takes 4-8 months. 

This way I healed my intestines to the extent that i can eat fructose and dairy daily, and I  no longer have the reaction I used to have.

I assume you will provide us with reliable sources, per forum rules, to support this?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Yes, but I was warned by the Dr. not to eat the dairy.  And I didn't for a long time.  But I got annoyed because daughter outgrew some of her intolerances and those foods don't make her sick.  So I began eating dairy again.  And I was fine for a while.  But then I wasn't fine and then there was denial.  I got tested again and dairy is out.  If you do find that you have outgrown the allergies, I would advise you to eat those foods infrequently if at all.

#10 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

I haven't technically regained my lost foods but the reaction I get from them has halved, maybe even less than half at the moment. Basically I follow the usual theory. Don't do grains, vegetable oils, nightshades and go very heavy on the vitmain D and B12. That's what works

#11 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

Forgot from my earlier post -- I did get Almonds back last Fall :D

Still can't do any other nut or seed -- but Almonds are great...I snack on them grind them for flour and grind them more for almond butter.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:57 AM

I stayed off of my "additional intolerances" for a period of 5 years. I got used to eating that way, but at about that 5 year mark (I've been gluten-free for 8 years), I was curious.

I had been completely off tapioca, coconut, soy, dairy, legumes, corn, citrus and gluten including oats.

After those 5 years, I am able to comfortably eat tapioca, dairy, corn, citrus and legumes.

I'm thinking the soy and coconut are permanent for me, but I now have incredible variety in my diet.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#13 Larapiz

Larapiz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

go very heavy on the vitmain D and B12. That's what works

Why do you think a lot of B12 would help? 

People can overdose on vitamin D.  Last I heard if you take more than 2000 IU per day, it's recommended you get regular blood level tests of vitamin D.  An overdose can cause serious problems. 

#14 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

I stayed off of my "additional intolerances" for a period of 5 years. I got used to eating that way, but at about that 5 year mark (I've been gluten-free for 8 years), I was curious.

I had been completely off tapioca, coconut, soy, dairy, legumes, corn, citrus and gluten including oats.

After those 5 years, I am able to comfortably eat tapioca, dairy, corn, citrus and legumes.

I'm thinking the soy and coconut are permanent for me, but I now have incredible variety in my diet.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :wub:   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#15 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Why do you think a lot of B12 would help? 

People can overdose on vitamin D.  Last I heard if you take more than 2000 IU per day, it's recommended you get regular blood level tests of vitamin D.  An overdose can cause serious problems. 

I was very deficient in B12 after gluten nearly killed me for 20 years so I soon came to be able to feel when I was getting low in B12 and when I wasn't. I need a B12 level of over 1000 to feel "right" so I get regular injections to keep it above 1000. Vitamin D is much more important again, you need it to keep your DNA good without errors, Because I have a fair bit of malabsorption I need to take about 4000 iu a day to hold steady and that's including sun bathing, that's to hold me over the 100 minimum blood level, I would prefer to hold it just over 150 but that starts to make it difficult and would need regular testing to make sure I didn't get too high. I had to take 4000 IU a day every day plus lay in the sun half the day for a full year just to reach 100 on my blood test.... Most of my friends who aren't even sick take 5000 IU per day and it hasn't done them any harm. I live in a cloudy and wet climate and most the people here are very deficient in vitamin D so these days most people are on Vit D supplements, it turned out low vitamin D levels were causing the local people to be depressed, so now the doctors test everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: