This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

For Those Who See Gastroenterologists

seraphim

seraphim Contributor

I've considered going to a gastroenterologist. They are most knowledgeable about celiac and gluten issues right? I did a stool test with my family doctor to check for parasites and am supposedly clear. But was wondering what sort of things a gastro could help with besides endoscopy, colonoscopy and upper gi tests. Do they also do stool tests? Do they check for small intestinal bacteria overgrowth and what not? Or is it mainly doctors who are not mainstream who do that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Monnie1229 Newbie

I've considered going to a gastroenterologist. They are most knowledgeable about celiac and gluten issues right? I did a stool test with my family doctor to check for parasites and am supposedly clear. But was wondering what sort of things a gastro could help with besides endoscopy, colonoscopy and upper gi tests. Do they also do stool tests? Do they check for small intestinal bacteria overgrowth and what not? Or is it mainly doctors who are not mainstream who do that?

I am seeing a gastroenterologist and she wanted to do a stool sample but I get around by bus and didn't feel comfortable transporting that way. I started out due to stomach pains when I ate anything. She prescribed me Hyoscyamine .125mg to take before eating and whenever pain comes and Prochlorperazine 10mg for nauseau. This helped and led me to believe that I have an issue with wheat/gluten. I will be doing a food allergy test w/ my allergist next month (July) and follow up with my primary and gastro. I hope this helps some.

kareng Grand Master

I am seeing a gastroenterologist and she wanted to do a stool sample but I get around by bus and didn't feel comfortable transporting that way. I started out due to stomach pains when I ate anything. She prescribed me Hyoscyamine .125mg to take before eating and whenever pain comes and Prochlorperazine 10mg for nauseau. This helped and led me to believe that I have an issue with wheat/gluten. I will be doing a food allergy test w/ my allergist next month (July) and follow up with my primary and gastro. I hope this helps some.

Hopefully you will see this- Celiac is not an allergy so allergy testing won't diagnose it. There are specific blood tests for Celiac disease and any of those docs should be able to order them. You need to be eating gluten to get an accurate test, so don't eliminate it until all testing is completed.

kareng Grand Master

I'm curious- if you have never been to a GI, how were you diagnosed with Celiac? So few people have a family doc that feels comfortable diagnosing with just blood tests, symptoms and results. It might be helpful for others to hear your doctor's process.

seraphim Contributor

Why do you think I think celiac is an allergy and when did I ever say it? I am gluten intolerant and felt better initially gluten free but a whole host of other things began about two or three months in. I've never been to a gastro but could have undiagnosed celiac. Had a history of "irritable bowel" since I was eight or nine that went away once gluten free. If you think I think celiac is an allergy because I've typed about allergies you'd be wrong. Those are seperate issues that recently came up. Just clarifying now so I don't have to do it later.

seraphim Contributor

I also did enterolab but I know many of you don't accept that but it got rid of those symptoms I was having and my family doctor has celiac listed on their system. Biopsies and blood tests have been known to miss it as well. They can't always get to the area of the bowel most affected. I know I'm not glutening myself just for an "official" diagnosis. I felt too horrible.

kareng Grand Master

Why do you think I think celiac is an allergy and when did I ever say it? I am gluten intolerant and felt better initially gluten free but a whole host of other things began about two or three months in. I've never been to a gastro but could have undiagnosed celiac. Had a history of "irritable bowel" since I was eight or nine that went away once gluten free. If you think I think celiac is an allergy because I've typed about allergies you'd be wrong. Those are seperate issues that recently came up. Just clarifying now so I don't have to do it later.

I wasn't answering you - I quoted the new person, Monnie. She seemed to need a little info.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seraphim Contributor

Sorry on my kindle I didn't even notice that. I thought you addressed it because of a couple threads I have regarding histamine etc.

seraphim Contributor

Do yourself a favor and get an endoscopy...blood test or even enterolab. THEN go gluten free and see how you feel. I was too chicken to endoscopy at the time. I regret that a year later. Did the diet help? Yes...but...it's nice to have a solid view of what you're dealing with...seriously. The tests could miss it but they might not. If it shows up negative you can always trial the diet anyhow and see if you feel better. 

Monnie1229 Newbie

Hopefully you will see this- Celiac is not an allergy so allergy testing won't diagnose it. There are specific blood tests for Celiac disease and any of those docs should be able to order them. You need to be eating gluten to get an accurate test, so don't eliminate it until all testing is completed.

I know that celiac is not an allergy, but I have seasonal allergies for ALL seasons (no off season for me) So my 1st thought was to do allergy testing. I immediately stopped eating wheat and felt better then started looking up sites for Gluten Free recipes and came across this site. I have to follow up with my Gastro Dr in Sept. cause I had the appt already and when I tried to get an earlier appt they didn't have any. I have seen that you have to be eating wheat for the testing and am not looking forward to going back to feeling that way.

Monnie1229 Newbie

Do yourself a favor and get an endoscopy...blood test or even enterolab. THEN go gluten free and see how you feel. I was too chicken to endoscopy at the time. I regret that a year later. Did the diet help? Yes...but...it's nice to have a solid view of what you're dealing with...seriously. The tests could miss it but they might not. If it shows up negative you can always trial the diet anyhow and see if you feel better. 

I will make sure to ask my Gastro Dr about those tests. I also want to know exactly what is wrong, but do not look forward to feeling bad again because I have to eat wheat.

Archived