13 replies to this topic

#1 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

So...here we are in June...long before forest fires should impact the South West and we have already lost 19.   Pray or send thoughts of safety to see our Firefighters through the summer months before us.  

Thank you.

1000996_478123975596189_413859260_n.jpg

Edited by GottaSki, 01 July 2013 - 05:39 AM.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:00 AM

Such sad news this morning. This has been such a bad year already for forest fires. So much destruction and now this tragic loss. Firefighters, many of them volunteers, are true heros.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Gotta Ski,

Did you know these young men?  My cousin's son trained with these guys, clearing trails as a teen this past few summers.  He hoped to become a hot shot, since his Dad's a Federal Firefighter in Prescott.  His own mother fought forest fires, but has since moved to another branch of the Forest Service.  My heart goes out to their families and friends!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

I never realized until I moved West how much we depend on these heros to keep us safe. We have a Hotshot crew just to the north of us and I know some of them personally. I have to say (in a loving way) that these guys are NUTS! They put their lives on the line every day! You never know in a drought-stricken area such as this, when a fire will start and blow up into a raging inferno. Even in the dead of winter it happens. And they LOVE their work!

Where I came from back in New England, firefighters are heros too, but even though they risk their lives going into burning buildings, it's just not the same as what these guys do. Believe me, I am not disparaging Eastern firefighters at all - I WAS one. My Dad was one. My grandfather was a charter member of the volunteer department in the town I grew up in. We all did what we did because it was the right thing to do. We wanted to help people.

But these guys who go out into a blazing forest with shovels and chainsaws and heavy backpacks in terrain so rough most of us wouldn't be able to walk it on a cool comfortable day are a whole different breed. They are competitave with other crews and they actually look forward to fighting fires so they can show off their skills.

Yes, they really ARE nuts, and I love and respect them more than any other group of people anywhere.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Gotta Ski,

Did you know these young men?  My cousin's son trained with these guys, clearing trails as a teen this past few summers.  He hoped to become a hot shot, since his Dad's a Federal Firefighter in Prescott.  His own mother fought forest fires, but has since moved to another branch of the Forest Service.  My heart goes out to their families and friends!  

Not this crew...but I know many firefighters thru my volunteer work with CERT....and Bartie is right...these guys that fight fire in crazy terrain are a breed all their own....I've met a few and I think of them today -- well every time I hear of wild fire...but today I am heartbroken for this crew's family, friends and other firefighters on the line.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

I struggle to understand why we send young men into a forest fire that has become so bad that this ends up happening.  Fire storms are a risk and rarely does anyone escape them.

I could see if someone was hanging out of a window, in a fully engulfed home and someone took the risk to save them.  But when forest fires get this bad, enough already.....do not put youngsters in such danger and yes, they were youngsters.  Let's face it...many of these guys work on pure adrenaline and they don't always make the best decisions.  I don't care how "highly trained" they are....they were all kids. Young 20 somethings.  We lost this talent to a forest fire????????  :(

Many will not understand my attitude but I think we have driven firefighters to new heights of conduct that don't work well.  The forest just isn't worth the risk of losing this many guy's that are at the very start of there lives and careers.  There are other ways of combating a fire without such human risk involved and if there isn't for that particular fire...let it burn. I think it's better to watch the forest burn than be a dead hero.  I don't even care if people's houses burn down, as long as they have time to escape.  You can rebuild anything but you can't get that life back.  I can't even begin to imagine how their families are coping with this.

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Gemini, the problem is too many people have built their homes in deep forest and have not followed "fire safe" procedures. They don't clear away all of the trees from around their homes, they let pine needles build up in their gutters, the grass is too tall, and they insist on using conventional materials to build - wood and asphalt shingles.

Granted, NO home is really safe from fires like these, but if everyone in a neighborhood would do as they have been instructed, the neighborhood would be much safer. But if, like a friend of mine who lives in one of these housing developments in the deep woods, your neighbors let the trees and grass grow up around their homes, no one nearby will be safe no matter what they do.

And the reason these firefighters go in and try to save these homes is that even under mandatory evacuation orders, there is always someone who didn't hear the knock on the door or the phone call. And then there are always those who decide to stay anyway. OR, like the gentleman in the news reports today who lost his home, the fire suddenly shifts direction and no one has time to evacuate.

These guys DO try to save homes but if their own lives are in danger, they are taught that they must let those homes burn. But when there are LIVES to save, they will gladly risk their own. In the case of the Hot Shots who were lost yesterday, it was just one of those things - the wind shifted and suddenly the place they were standing which HAD been perfectly safe, became an inferno within seconds.  

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Also, what happened last year in Colorado Springs - wildfire spreading right into the "city" - would happen everywhere there were a forest fire if these guys just let it burn. In 2007 a wildfire almost took out the entire town I live in. As it was, 33 families lost their homes and one man lost his life. They had already started evacuating the elderly residents in nursing homes and assisted living facilities and were ten minutes away from issuing evacuation orders for the entire town when the wind shifted and the fire started burning in the other direction. If the wind HADN'T shifted, I know many more people would have been killed. You just can't move 4,000 people, many of them elderly or disabled (this is a retirement town with the biggest VA hospital and vets home in the region) as quickly as they would have needed to be moved.  

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Any firefighter is at risk on any given day..

I remember the Hotel Vendome tragedy in Boston because some of my classmates lost dads or brothers (some of you are too young)

and of course, 9/11. Not sure, but I think the number of firefighters (and paramedics)  killed that day?...

well over 300.

It does not matter where they battle a fire.

It matters that they do it..willingly, when so many would not.

Same for the police, the armed service personnel, the border patrol. ( my friend's son serves with the BP and she worries about him every damn day) Of course, even in our crazy world today, teachers and principals are put in the position of saving lives. sigh.

I am grateful for all these young people and their  bravery and selflessness.

Heroic first responders put their lives on the line every single day.

My heart breaks every time one of them is lost. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Am watching this on TV right now. How tragic! I feel terribly sad for the families. We came a few feet from losing our house in Croatia a year ago that was saved by courageous fire fighters. To this day I wish I knew who was involved in fighting those (ARSON) fires and thank them personally for their tireless efforts. Firefighters are heroic and not recognized enough in my opinion.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#11 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Poor kids. Truly a shame. :(
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

This is a horrible tragedy and my heart and prayers go out to all of the friends and family of those lost. We would also do well to remember to keep those still fighting and those who will spend the rest of the season fighting in our thoughts and prayers. They'll need it with these conditions.

I think bartfull hit the nail very much on the head. These men don't risk their lives to save homes. They do it to save lives. Without these teams we would see more instances of what happened last year in Colorado. We saw lives lost to wildfires last year in Utah. We have teams that work year round to prevent fires ending up like this. Doing controlled burns, setting up fire breaks, but you can't anticipate everywhere a fire will start. When a town is threatened, lives are threatened. Where there is a need, there will always be heroes who answer the call. With this there is most definitely a need.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#13 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Well Said.

I've lived through two of these...up close and personal...everyone that comes to California is always afraid of earthquakes.  Not me.  Fire. Stay safe everyone in the path this year -- looks likes much of the West will need a few prayers along with all good thoughts.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#14 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

This just breaks my heart! Our firefighters, police, & military are amazing! Wishing all of you suffering from this weather get some relief soon! It's hot here in the East but nothing compared to what you're going through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: