This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My 15 Yr Old Daughter

vicrn98

vicrn98 Newbie

my daughter is newly diag. with celiac, we r just waiting for lab result but did have pos biopsy. she has only been gluten-free for 1 or 2 weeks ( i think we are still learning which foods she can eat) but her pain is the same if not worse, how long does she have to be gluten-free before we see results?

vic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nettiebeads Apprentice
my daughter is newly diag. with celiac, we r just waiting for lab result but did have pos biopsy.  she has only been gluten-free for 1 or 2 weeks ( i think we are still learning which foods she can eat) but her pain is the same if not worse, how long does she have to be gluten-free before we see results?

vic

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many variables come into play here. How long was she sick before dx? Do you know how much damage had been incurred? Is she totally gluten-free? Are there hidden contaminates in her food, meds, skin care, hair care? Is there a possibility of cross contamination? I hadn't been sick for very long before I was dx'd, but it took me two to three weeks for the d to stop, but still took awhile before I felt more normal. But then I had a house full of kids so I'm sure I was cross-contaminated a lot. Hope she improves soon.

jerseyangel Proficient

In addition to nettiebeads good advice, I would say that everyone heals at a different rate and to just keep with it. The issue of making sure that her health&beauty products are gluten-free is so important--when I tossed all of my products that had wheat in them and all of my lipsticks and mascaras :angry: I noticed a big difference. So many shampoos&conditioners have wheat--read all the labels. Also, she shouldn't share a toaster with the rest of the family as well as wooden spoons, cutting boards etc. I was sick for 1 1/2 yrs. before being DX and I didn't really begin to feel better until the 4th. month of gluten-free. Best of luck to her--there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I was diagnosed at 16(am 18 now) and it took me about 8 months to get back to normal. I did see improvement after a few months on the diet though. Everyone varies with the time it takes...some people can take within a few weeks and for others it can take up to a few years. It depends on the amount of damage done, age, etc. Right now she is so new to the diet you can't really expect a change so soon.

There is so much to learn about what you can't have. She needs to look at all sources including makeup, shampoos, lotions, soaps, etc. in addition to foods.

There are some great lists available that help us out tremendously..if you email me I will send them to you(they are accurate for the U.S...not sure where you live but I only have U.S food & product info)

Also, the only person in control of what she eats and uses is her. She is old enough that if she wants to "cheat" on the diet she has the oppurtunity to. She needs to realize this is an all or nothing diet and not following it can lead to serious and deadly consequences. Even small amounts as frequent as once a month is just like not even following the diet at all.

You will find the good brands of gluten free foods on here(there are alot of bad ones so don't get discouraged because there are good ones out there you just have to find them)

There are even a lot of mainstream products like candy, ice cream, chips, etc. we can still have so she can still have the things that any teen would want.

coralex Newbie
In addition to nettiebeads good advice, I would say that everyone heals at a different rate and to just keep with it.  The issue of making sure that her health&beauty products are gluten-free is so important--when I tossed all of my products that had wheat in them and all of my lipsticks and mascaras :angry: I noticed a big difference.  So many shampoos&conditioners have wheat--read all the labels.  Also, she shouldn't share a toaster with the rest of the family as well as wooden spoons, cutting boards etc.  I was sick for 1 1/2 yrs. before being DX and I didn't really begin to feel better until the 4th. month of gluten-free. Best of luck to her--there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

coralex Newbie
In addition to nettiebeads good advice, I would say that everyone heals at a different rate and to just keep with it.  The issue of making sure that her health&beauty products are gluten-free is so important--when I tossed all of my products that had wheat in them and all of my lipsticks and mascaras :angry: I noticed a big difference.  So many shampoos&conditioners have wheat--read all the labels.  Also, she shouldn't share a toaster with the rest of the family as well as wooden spoons, cutting boards etc.  I was sick for 1 1/2 yrs. before being DX and I didn't really begin to feel better until the 4th. month of gluten-free. Best of luck to her--there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm new here - only joined last night - so I tried to reply but I'm not sure if it worked. Lots to learn!! Anyways, that's fantastic advice about the toaster. I never would have thought of that, what worse cross-contamination could you possibly get?? We're considering a gluten-free diet for a trial for our daughter - see my post "Help diagnosing our 5 year old daughter..."

Glad to see there's other people out there so willing to help others!!

PicturePerfect Explorer

I have only been gluten-free for a couple months, but at first it seemed like my symptoms got worse. I don't know if they actually did, or if I was just expecting them to get better and they didn't.

I am not completely better yet, but I don't have stomach aches and pains as often as I used to ( which was every day) !!!

Don't worry,

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

My new roommate just ruined my toaster....

The funny thing was he asked me afterwards, "Hey why does that toaster say C.D.'s toaster-- Dont Use?"

I looked at him and said, "You used it didn't you?"

He said "yes"

I explained the ordeal to him AGAIN...

Thank God toasters only cost $10........just think if he hadn't told me, I would have been calling every food manufacturer about why I was feeling terrible...

vicrn98 Newbie

ok i appreciate all the responses to my question now i have one more. MAKE UP?! SHAMPOOS?! LOTIONS?! gosh! i am really new to all of this, i thought that only made a difference if she had herpatic dermatitis, which she doesn't, she's not injesting it. i need more help i suppose.

vic

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Vic--I mentioned shampoos, lotion etc. because anything you use on your face or hands can easily find its way into your mouth. I had a hair gel that was making me sick before I realized it had wheat starch in it. Also a facial cleanser (Cetaphil) that I thought was safe gave me a reaction. I prepare my food, sometimes bite a fingernail, maybe lick a finger when eating etc. It only takes a TRACE of gluten to make some of us sick. For me, it is simpler to find and stick with things that I know are safe. That way, for instance, when I wash my hair I'm not thinking about not getting any in my mouth--I'm just washing my hair!! I know that there is so much to consider and it can seem overwhelming at times--I can't tell you how much useful info. I found by searching these boards. We're all here for ya :)

vicrn98 Newbie

thanks a lot you've all been a lot of help

vic :D

Claire Collaborator
my daughter is newly diag. with celiac, we r just waiting for lab result but did have pos biopsy.  she has only been gluten-free for 1 or 2 weeks ( i think we are still learning which foods she can eat) but her pain is the same if not worse, how long does she have to be gluten-free before we see results?

vic

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may get different answers to this because different people here may have been told different things.

I was told todayby a neurologist that this varies from person to person and that some symptoms disappear in weeks and others take many months. No hard fast rules here. Feeling bad initially is not unusual - after all gluten is addictive for many people - and she is going cold turkey. Many with celiac also have food sensitives they are unaware of and those reactive foods need to be identified and eliminated. Claire

Ursa Major Collaborator
Hi Vic--I mentioned shampoos, lotion etc. because anything you use on your face or hands can easily find its way into your mouth.  I had a hair gel that was making me sick before I realized it had wheat starch in it.  Also a facial cleanser (Cetaphil) that I thought was safe gave me a reaction.  I prepare my food, sometimes bite a fingernail, maybe lick a finger when eating etc.  It only takes a TRACE of gluten to make some of us sick.  For me, it is simpler to find and stick with things that I know are safe.  That way, for instance, when I wash my hair I'm not thinking about not getting any in my mouth--I'm just washing my hair!!  I know that there is so much to consider and it can seem overwhelming at times--I can't tell you how much useful info. I found by searching these boards.  We're all here for ya :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, in addition to getting some into your mouth, you need to realize that any liquid touching your skin will find it's way into your bloodstream! So, it's not just getting it into your mouth.

Plus, I have DH on my scalp (always thought it was psoriasis before). I checked my shampoo, and it had wheat germ in it. My scalp was always itchy. Since I switched shampoos, the itchiness has nearly stopped (it's been less than a week).

Also, my hand soap had wheat germ. I found that if I touched my eyes after washing my hands, my eyes would get terribly itchy and swell. Again, I'd never have connected that with gluten intolerance if I hadn't read here about the personal hygiene items.

jerseyangel Proficient

You're right--I learned that within 8 seconds or so, anything that is applied to the skin is absorbed. Frankly, I don't know if what is absorbed finds its way into the digestive tract or if just circulating through the bloodstream can harm us as Celiacs. Does anyone know for sure? I've been wondering about this.

Lisa Mentor
You're right--I learned that within 8 seconds or so, anything that is applied to the skin is absorbed.  Frankly, I don't know if what is absorbed finds its way into the digestive tract or if just circulating through the bloodstream can harm us as Celiacs.  Does anyone know for sure?  I've been wondering about this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glutens cannot be absorbed through the skin. This isssue is...it you use lotion on your hands and face, put your fingers in your mouth, or lotion near your mouth you will ingest glutens. Gluten is accepted into the body orally only, THEN, it eats at your gut.

Hope this will clear up the question.

Lisa B.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

From what I understand gluten cant be absorbed into the skin but lots of people do experience reactions from certain products. I know I felt much better after changing all my products to gluten-free but I was definately getting lotion, shampoo, etc...into my mouth.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Hi Vic--I mentioned shampoos, lotion etc. because anything you use on your face or hands can easily find its way into your mouth.  I had a hair gel that was making me sick before I realized it had wheat starch in it.  Also a facial cleanser (Cetaphil) that I thought was safe gave me a reaction.  I prepare my food, sometimes bite a fingernail, maybe lick a finger when eating etc.  It only takes a TRACE of gluten to make some of us sick.  For me, it is simpler to find and stick with things that I know are safe.  That way, for instance, when I wash my hair I'm not thinking about not getting any in my mouth--I'm just washing my hair!!  I know that there is so much to consider and it can seem overwhelming at times--I can't tell you how much useful info. I found by searching these boards.  We're all here for ya :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, in addition to getting some into your mouth, you need to realize that any liquid touching your skin will find it's way into your bloodstream! So, it's not just getting it into your mouth.

Plus, I have DH on my scalp (always thought it was psoriasis before). I checked my shampoo, and it had wheat germ in it. My scalp was always itchy. Since I switched shampoos, the itchiness has nearly stopped (it's been less than a week).

Also, my hand soap had wheat germ. I found that if I touched my eyes after washing my hands, my eyes would get terribly itchy and swell. Again, I'd never have connected that with gluten intolerance if I hadn't read here about the personal hygiene items.

jerseyangel Proficient

I do know that I was definately glutened by a hair gel with wheat starch -- after I bit my nails shortly after using it and after washing my hands. (embarrasing, but thats how I deal with stress-since junior high!) I was sick for 5 days after. Another time, I used a facial cleanser that was questionable and was also sick for 5 days. Yesterday, I ordered soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion from GFSOAP.COM. I just want to find natural products, without wheat or soy that I can rely on and not have to think about. I've had to get rid of so many products that I feel this will be more economic as well as healthy in the long run. Anyway, after this long story, I know how easy it is to get gluten into the digestive system via the hands and mouth and how careful we must be.. the skin is also an absorbent organ (think medicated patches etc.) so I personally will be careful on both counts.

Archived