arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Anybody Made Themselves Like A Food And Now Its " I Knew It Didnt Agree With Me?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jhol

jhol

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

hi sorry about the title, i wasnt sure how to explain it lol.

so i was thinking the other night about food,the problems in having with it and foods that i wouldnt eat as a child and now do. 

ive never liked fruit at all, if i did eat any it was a apple or pear.all low in histamines.disliked any dried fruit like raisins

veg- would only eat peas and beans. didnt like carrots,broccoli,cauli

hated tomatoes,fish and not too keen on meat-which is why i became a veggie aged 20.could not get myself to like quorn even though i forced myself to eat it-coz its protein.

not a lover of chocolate although i did eat it.

we were a very bland food family, meat ,potato,s and veg.or no spicy or "fancy" food.i was at college the first time i ate a curry or pizza- god knows when i first ate pasta!!

only ate mild cheddar cheese. hated all smelly cheeses, yogurt,cream and not too keen on milk and eggs.

didnt like anything ginger,cinnamon,aniseed,nutmeg flavoured. its only since i went to college( i know its abt 20 years since then lol) that ive introduced new foods. nearly all seem to be on the high histamine list - herbs spices, olive oil, olives,balsamic vinegar,spinach,aubergine,pumpkin, squash, soya, prepared salad, fruits and nuts.

all these foods are considered normal everyday foods now but it just seems like the more ive tried to be healthy the more problems ive acquired .

anyone got any more "lightbulb"  moments concerning foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Monnie1229

Monnie1229

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

I would like to know that also. I am Highly allergic to something for EVERY season so I get no down time with my allergies and some seasons the meds just don't seem to work at all or just not good enough. I did try to find out online if there were foods related to my allergies but had a hard time. That was about 4 years ago and I could probably find out more info now.

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Eh, it depends. Children have more taste buds than adults do so some things can taste off. I didn't like a few foods until i was older (such as sweet potatoes and broccoli).

however that being said, while i loved tomato sauces, I could not stand it raw. It eventually got to the point where i really didn't like either.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

I do have many memories from childhood.  Growing up into adulthood, I ALWAYS ordered a hot dog with a bun. Did not like pasta because it takes like flour and water (paste) and never aquired the taste for beer.

And my one of my earliest memory as a child being ill, was living behind a bakery at my grandparents flat  for a summer, I soiled the bed terribly. (I'm sure not as bad as my embarrasment.)  At age seven, the daughter of the bakery owner and I would sneak in and eat the roses off the wedding cakes and such. What did I know....she made me do it. :rolleyes:

And I was terribly skinny as a child, who would not drink milk unless it has Strawberry Quick. My mother died when I was two and when my father was dating, his girl friends  always wanted to rescue me and fatten me up, but the house keeper ran them off.  Aside  from  that, unfortunately, I have no parental documentaion.  That possibility was lost many, many years ago.

I think if we all look back, there are stories.  Remembered or not. ;)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Well...  I have always hated chicken except for when I was quite small.  I guess I liked it then but like you, I grew up on bland food and a limited diet.  I ate some things not necessarily because I liked them but because I was hungry and that's what we had.  If I truly hate something like broccoli, I won't touch it.  I guess you could say that chicken was sort of a neutral food.  I could eat it if it was white meat, minced well and mixed in something.  Like a soup.  But I would not eat a whole chicken breast or fried chicken or regular chicken nuggets.  I would eat Ian's which I gather most people don't like but I did somewhat like them because they didn't remind  me of chicken.

I did like tuna casserole or salad.  I would eat fish sticks if I had a lot of mashed potatoes.  I would take a tiny bite of the fish and a lot of potatoes at once.  I would not eat oysters, clams, shrimp, crab or any other fish.  I did eat stuff with oyster sauce and liked it.  I did once eat crab wontons but it was in the 70's and some wacky tobaccy was involved.  Heh.

Would not touch lamb.

have always hated milk and yogurt and really most dairy products.  Cream, ice cream, whipped cream, cream cheese, etc.  I did like some kinds of cottage cheese, some cheddar, some other cheeses but was very picky about what I would eat.

Have never liked eggs very much but would eat the occasional very hard fried one or hard boiled.

All of these things now make me very ill.  So there could well be a reason why I avoided them.

But...  I also can't have certain nuts, spices and seasonings, including mint.  I was a mint addict!  But now that I know what it does to me (makes my teeth senitive and upsets my stomach), I hate it.  Can't even stand the smell of it.

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

I should also add that my family has been very odd about dairy.  Although I was always told that as a baby I was severely underweight.  My mom said had they made preemie clothes in those days, I likely would have worn them until I was 6 months old!  I would not breast feed and in those days they didn't have pre-made formula.  I was allergic to any and all kinds of milk.

And yet...  For as long as I can remember, she pushed me to drink milk.  I was constantly sick to my stomach.  So much so that I assumed that everyone was.  I would see people smiling and think...  How can they be smiling when they feel so sick?  Then at around age 16, my mother became furious with me about my acne.  I don't think that I had it badly but to this day she will tell others how horrible my face was.  She took me from Dr. to Dr. about it and nothing helped.  Then my regular Dr. told her to stop giving me milk.  My stomach got better and my face mostly cleared up.  But...

The only thing that she stopped giving me was glasses of milk.  There was still milk in my soup, margarine, mac and cheese, there was still cheese...  I was constantly having ice cream pushed on me despite my hating it.  My parents loved it so figured I should too.  My parents have blinders when it comes to things like that.  To them, if you can't see the milk, it isn't there.  Like cake icing with cream or milk in it.  Uh huh.

My mom gets very sick from dairy but keeps on eating it.  Oh but she doesn't drink milk!

Then there is my adult nephew.  My mom once asked him if he wanted some ice cream?  He answered, "Not unless you want me to sit on the toilet all night!"  I suspect that dairy is a problem for his dad (my brother) and it is for my SIL and yet...  They still eat dairy.  But my SIL does try to avoid it most of the time.  But then my nephew will go and eat ice cream cake!  So he makes no sense.

#7 jhol

jhol

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

I would like to know that also. I am Highly allergic to something for EVERY season so I get no down time with my allergies and some seasons the meds just don't seem to work at all or just not good enough. I did try to find out online if there were foods related to my allergies but had a hard time. That was about 4 years ago and I could probably find out more info now.

hi there,

just had a quick look at your posts - you,ve not been diagnosed celiac yet ?. my tests were negative as were my allergy tests. im now down to about 10 foods that i can eat. thats why im looking into histamines and salicylates- some of the symptoms are very similar. theres lots of other intolerances that could be aggravating you. if you are celiac or non celiac gluten intolerant you may also have a dairy problem, or nightshade problem - potato,s tomato,s, peppers, aubergine( tend to cause joint pain) or maybe even soya or corn. theres lots of info on the net about food groups. what are your allergies? maybe someone on here could have some info. good luck with your tests x

#8 jhol

jhol

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

its interesting to find out food we have a problem with now is something we wouldnt touch as a child. i wonder if children are more in tune with their bodies than we are.

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Well, when I was a kid my favorite foods besides soft boiled eggs was Mom's home made bread and her home made doughnuts. I also could never get enough corn on the cob. Oh yeah, and blueberries that we would pick in the woods across the road from our house.

Now I can still eat the eggs but none of the other things. As I got older I kind of lost my taste for the corn on the cob - I would buy it once during the summer, eat two ears, and then I didn't want any more until next year. But the other things - I loved them right up until the time I had to give them up. There are substitutes for the bread and the doughnuts, but there is nothing that tastes like blueberries except blueberries. :(

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

I was a foodie since conception and have always loved foods except commercial cottage cheese. Shudder...

I was a very healthy child and young adult. Never ill.

To this day I miss really great homemade chewy ciabatta bread and flaky croissants. I admit it! I miss gluten. Don't worry. Will never, ever stop being vigilant and will not even consider trying a mere glutenous particle. Lactose bothered me up until two months ago. Other than that, I am extremely grateful all foods agree with me including eel, shark, lamb, duck, donkey...
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#11 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

I grew up baking with my Grammy. While I lived with my parents on the family farm, I am quite sure I spent more time in my Grammy's kitchen than I did at home. I ate enough fresh bread, cakes, pies, cookies and other goodies to add an inch to my thighs now just thinking about it. The only two things no one could ever get into me as a child were liver and rhubarb. I still won't touch either.

I have a very serious snake phobia to the point that I occasionally need ER visits with run ins, and for that reason will never eat them or anything resembling them like eels. I also don't like oysters and clams, its a texture thing. Besides that if it is meat I'll try it at least once. I've eaten every type of game my father has killed and I would visit home if he ever brought something home from an African safari, just to taste it. (Can meat be brought home from those? I hope so! He just retired so looking forward...)

I can't think of any fruits or vegetables I don't eat other than rhubarb and okra. As each thing came in season I would live for it. Some favorites were strawberries, spinach, bananas, pineapple, all citrus. I lived for cheese. More, I lived for chocolate. I thought nothing of spending $5... $8... $10 on a chocolate bar. It wasn't about the price, it was about where the beans came from, how they were roasted, what else is in the bar, how amazing will it be?

Little did I know that every last one of my favorite things did not agree with me for one reason or another. Gluten. High tyramine. High histamine. I am still counting my lucky stars that I have found my tyramine triggers and many of what bothers some seem fine for me. More though, that the histamine thing is not a full on abstinence thing like gluten. That would probably drive me over the edge into insanity.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: