3 replies to this topic

#1 BelleVie

BelleVie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:14 AM

A while ago, I posted about how bummed out I was to not be able to find anyone in the medical community in Korea who could do celiac testing. Although the first doctor that I saw said that nobody in Korea could do endoscopic biopsies for celiac, or blood tests, I sent e-mails to the top hospitals in Seoul and was referred to a GI at one of the hospitals. He actually studied for a time in the GI Dep't of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and has performed plenty of biopsies and is very familiar with celiac disease and gluten intolerance. One bonus point! Additionally, he was kind and compassionate, and willingly listened to everything I had to say. He spoke to me for almost an hour, even though he is a busy doctor with a full schedule. Bonus point two! When I explained to him that I wasn't sure I could do a gluten challenge long enough to get positive blood results, but that I'd like to go ahead with an endoscopy after a 5 week challenge, he readily agreed and scheduled me without any hesitation. I can't believe how much I lucked out to find a celiac doctor in a country that has no celiac disease...and to find a doctor with relevant experience at a top medical clinic, and on top of THAT, to find a doctor who is kind, curious, and genuinely interested in listening to and helping his patient. Hooray! 

Just wanted to share, as well as to put the word out there if there happens to be any other person wandering around in Asia looking for a GI.  :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

awesome news!!

A while ago, I posted about how bummed out I was to not be able to find anyone in the medical community in Korea who could do celiac testing. Although the first doctor that I saw said that nobody in Korea could do endoscopic biopsies for celiac, or blood tests, I sent e-mails to the top hospitals in Seoul and was referred to a GI at one of the hospitals. He actually studied for a time in the GI Dep't of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and has performed plenty of biopsies and is very familiar with celiac disease and gluten intolerance. One bonus point! Additionally, he was kind and compassionate, and willingly listened to everything I had to say. He spoke to me for almost an hour, even though he is a busy doctor with a full schedule. Bonus point two! When I explained to him that I wasn't sure I could do a gluten challenge long enough to get positive blood results, but that I'd like to go ahead with an endoscopy after a 5 week challenge, he readily agreed and scheduled me without any hesitation. I can't believe how much I lucked out to find a celiac doctor in a country that has no celiac disease...and to find a doctor with relevant experience at a top medical clinic, and on top of THAT, to find a doctor who is kind, curious, and genuinely interested in listening to and helping his patient. Hooray! 

Just wanted to share, as well as to put the word out there if there happens to be any other person wandering around in Asia looking for a GI.  :D

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

That is good news. I have a heartfelt love for the Korean people.  I wish you well.  I heard that celiac was very unusual in Asia.  My girls said there wasn't a lot of wheat there.

D

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:22 AM

If you want to put the doctor's name and/or hospital on here, its OK.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: