arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Just Got Back From The Gi Dr. This Is What He Thinks.......

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 answerseeker

answerseeker

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

If you read my post the other day you will see the long struggle and long list of symptoms I've had. Had an appointment today with the same GI that did my endoscopy. He said that just because my bloodwork and biopsy were negative for celaic it doesn't mean that I don't have it. Could be not enough damaged done yet, especially since this started only about a month ago. Wow, perhaps I found a knowledgable doc huh? Even the foot cramps I get points to it because I have low calcium in my blood work. Also I'm still loosing weight. Today I'm down to 105. I have a ultrasound to rule out gallstones but he is really leaning towards celiac or non celaic gluten intolerance (I was shocked he actually knew what this was) he said even if it is IBS gluten still upsets that condition so still same treatment.

So he says gluten free diet trial for a month, if I improve then lifelong gluten free diet. If I don't then go back to see him.

on a sidenote, I thought oatmeal was naturally gluten free but I had the worst reaction to it the other day. I'm still not fully over it.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

If you read my post the other day you will see the long struggle and long list of symptoms I've had. Had an appointment today with the same GI that did my endoscopy. He said that just because my bloodwork and biopsy were negative for celaic it doesn't mean that I don't have it. Could be not enough damaged done yet, especially since this started only about a month ago. Wow, perhaps I found a knowledgable doc huh? Even the foot cramps I get points to it because I have low calcium in my blood work. Also I'm still loosing weight. Today I'm down to 105. I have a ultrasound to rule out gallstones but he is really leaning towards celiac or non celaic gluten intolerance (I was shocked he actually knew what this was) he said even if it is IBS gluten still upsets that condition so still same treatment.

So he says gluten free diet trial for a month, if I improve then lifelong gluten free diet. If I don't then go back to see him.

on a sidenote, I thought oatmeal was naturally gluten free but I had the worst reaction to it the other day. I'm still not fully over it.

It has to be gluten-free oatmeal.  It will say it on the package.  Oats use the same fields, farm equipment, silos, etc as wheat.  So unless the oats are certified gluten-free, don't eat it.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

5 out of 4 people struggle with math.

math-problem-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

good for you for finding a knowledgeable doc!  i was nearly dead from malnutrition when the light finally went off in my (family) doc's head.  3 years later and i feel like i'm still healing my guts, so good thing it has been caught before alot of damage has been done :)  

i still can't do oats, it seems.  tried them twice and have had no luck  :(  maybe try them again in......   january.....  so, some do well with it (I SURE MISS OATMEAL!) some don't.

good luck!  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

Something like 10% of celiacs react to the avenin in oats similarly to how they react to the gluten in wheat, barley and rye.  If you had a really bad reaction, you may be in this group.  If you try again, try just a little bit of gluten-free oats until you know that you can tolerate them.  I am in the oat sensitive group myself and I wish that someone had given me that advice.

#5 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

Thanks. For now it's gluten free chexs or eggs for breakfast!

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: