101 replies to this topic

#16 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

pounds of pressure of steam, makes the temp in the canner higher than boiling.

did you get a new dehydrator (or new plastic trays) when you went gluten-free?  ours has been used for teriyaki deer jerky in the past and i'm sure it had (wheat) soy sauce in the marinade :(

I just bought an inexpensive plastic one on amazon a few months back...then got more trays to do more with the same energy....I make jerky on bottom trays while drying herbs on top trays -- works great.

Thanks for the Ball Blue Book note...going to find one -- we use pressure to can tuna...so i just need to know the basic rules for everything else -- Thanks :D

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

What does the 'p' stand for -- I have just this past year started canning things other than tuna -- hence I like the idea of this thread.

i also dehydrate quite a bit now -- dried fruits and jerky are much easier to carry if I'll be out longer than a few hours.

I lost a few keys.  lol...the space should be occupied by the 17th letter of the alphabet. 

#18 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

We dehydrate mangoes and pineapples, they are great travel snacks.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#19 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

I quit canning because it was so much work and nobody would eat it.  I only did applesauce and pears.  Daughter loves applesauce and pears but...  She prefers the cute little expensive cups.  Whatever!  No sense in my putting up a bunch of stuff that won't get eaten.

As for your half sours...  Does it make a huge batch?  I love them but...  I would like to have a recipe that makes a very small amount so that I can make them when I want them.  I would likely be the only one here that would make them.  You can't can those can you?  I still have my canning stuff but only a BWB and not the pressure canner.

#20 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:27 AM

Thanks for the advice.  I've been thinking about pressure canning, but hadn't gotten to buying anything yet.  I've barely done any regular canning.  I much prefer the taste of frozen, but the freezer fills up fast.  Any advice about pressure canners?

#21 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

I've use a regular family pressure cooker for some things recently -- it holds about 6-8 jars -- for tuna we found a huge pressure cooker on craigslist so we can stack the jars and get many done at once -- been awhile since hubs brought back enough for canning -- I think we did 20- 24 jars at a time with it.

I am no expert -- gotta get one of the Ball's Blue Books soon.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#22 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

i may be early for alot of other parts of the world, but our growing season is pretty long and we are already getting killed by an overabundance of beans, zucchini, yellow squash, (my beets are probably ready to harvest but i am afraid to look lolz!)  and i have had 2 cherry tomatoes turn ripe.  

so.  here it comes!!!!!  the dreaded pressure canner haha  :blink:

i put up 8 jars of pickled green beans last week - 2 qts, 6 pints (would've been 3 qts but one of my jars blew out - IN THE CANNER!  ugh.  start over.......)  

anyways, i was wanting to see what y'all are canning - aanybody got a better green bean recipe?  not sure how these are going to be but i'm waiting a few weeks for them to 'mellow'

also, did 3 day half-sours like the kind you get in nyc jewish/polish deli - they turned out *awesome* - i thought i would need all kinds of special crocks or whatnot, but i just used a food grade bucket my kid got for me at the restaurant she works at (it had coleslaw in it so, gluten-free, just washed it out and GO lolz)

I developed and administer the Master Food Preserver Program in Hawaii and have been teaching canning for many years among my other jobs.  Feel free to ask questions if needed.  I use 1 little chili pepper with beans when i can them and also kosher, canning or Hawaiian salt. Have also sliced some onions in the jars.  Did you use 5%  vinegar?  Why do you think the jar blew up?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

Try to find SO Easy to Preserve from the Univ. of Georgia.

Thats the "Bible" of safe  canning recipes.  Does your cooker/canner have a gauge or just the  numbered weight?

I've use a regular family pressure cooker for some things recently -- it holds about 6-8 jars -- for tuna we found a huge pressure cooker on craigslist so we can stack the jars and get many done at once -- been awhile since hubs brought back enough for canning -- I think we did 20- 24 jars at a time with it.

I am no expert -- gotta get one of the Ball's Blue Books soon.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

#24 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

I've only lost one jar in the past few years. A fairly significant amount of our jars are rescues from thrift shops and while we try to inspect them for flaws there just is no way to know how old they are or if they have a weak spot. We don't buy or throw away any that seem like they aren't okay of course, and reinspect every time we are canning but that one time I guess maybe we missed something? I don't know. We don't pressure can. I've never used one, it just cracked and broke right in the regular hot water bath! I've seen this happen just a few times over the years to my Grammy too. It is the most bizarre thing. It seems to be extremely rare, a jar just cracks up the side and if you don't see it and take it out, it'll just "explode" in the canner.

I'll admit, I didn't know there were canning "Bibles" to be had. I gotta get me one of those! My husband will think I'm nuts.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#25 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

Thats the "Bible" of safe  canning recipes.  Does your cooker/canner have a gauge or just the  numbered weight?

The large one is a pressure gauge -- the small 'regular' pressure cooker just the weight.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#26 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

Thats the "Bible" of safe  canning recipes.

No used copies currently available on Amazon -- but it is available from UGA's website for $18 (includes shipping):

setp.uga.edu/order_book.pdf

Going to check around for a used copy for a while -- if no-go will order from UGA.

Edited to add for everyone -- Ball's Blue Book - retails for $24 -- currently on Amazon Prime for $8.45.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#27 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

Edited to add for everyone -- Ball's Blue Book - retails for $24 -- currently on Amazon Prime for $8.45.

I wonder if they'll be stumped by a bunch of people suddenly ordering the books all at once. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#28 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

As for your half sours...  Does it make a huge batch?  I love them but...  I would like to have a recipe that makes a very small amount so that I can make them when I want them.  I would likely be the only one here that would make them.  You can't can those can you?  I still have my canning stuff but only a BWB and not the pressure canner.

http://www.classycha...lf-sour-pickles

that's the recipe i used, but there are a million on the interwebs.  pretty basic - salt, water, garlic, dill, cukes <kirbys!  if you get the brine right (my grammy used to say:  make it taste like the ocean!  lolz old hungarian recipes)  you could certainly do a small batch.  i used fresh dill because i have some in my herb garden, but dill seed or dried dill weed would work just fine :)  and, right, you don't process these, after 36-72 hours, depending on how you like them, you just drain half the brine and add plain water to slow the fermentation - then refrigerate (and hopefully, eat, because they will go soggy after awhile!)  i grew up in nj, and the kosher 'ba tampte' half sours we used to eat straight from the jar.  if you went to a 'DELI deli', they would keep jars of half sours on the meat counter.  so these turned out pretty good.  oh, yeah - NO VINEGAR or it's not *right* lolz  ;)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#29 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think we did 20- 24 jars at a time with it.

YOWZA!  that's alot - i'm always afraid they are going to bang together and break.  husband is fearless,  maybe that's why he's handy to keep around when piling jars in.  i have ever stacked them, though, but then i put on the timer and go hide LOLZ  :P

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#30 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

YOWZA!  that's alot - i'm always afraid they are going to bang together and break.  husband is fearless,  maybe that's why he's handy to keep around when piling jars in.  i have ever stacked them, though, but then i put on the timer and go hide LOLZ  :P

We use racks -- my honey doesn't mind them being touching...but i have a teeny tiny space between every jar when i do it.  then steamer racks in between layers....works great with fish because you have to do it for some time and it is a stinky event -- finally learned to do it outside on the burner attached to our bbq a few years back --- much more better ;)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vegetable canning, jellies, jams, preserves, salsa, pickles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: