This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

notme

kareng Grand Master

I know nothing about canning and wasn't going to read this thread....but you Canners are funny!  Who knew you had an official song and everything!  :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
love2travel Mentor

I know nothing about canning and wasn't going to read this thread....but you Canners are funny!  Who knew you had an official song and everything!  :D

You just never know what you might find when you dig deep... :lol:

notme Experienced

there are no words...........

kareng Grand Master

there are no words...........

Just imaging Ken, in a Hawaiian shirt, do this dance! :)

notme Experienced

i just figured him for the guy with the hat at the end....  those girls *hate* that hat.  i think every one of them kicked it  ^_^

howlnmad Newbie

Ken, have any suggestions on a heat source for canning out of doors?  big enough to get the temp high enough.

The base to a turkey fryer will produce enough heat to get the job done.

howlnmad Newbie

Ken,

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you over process something. Say the reipe calls for 15 minutes at 10 pounds but you go for 20, what would be the results?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular

The base to a turkey fryer will produce enough heat to get the job done.

lol.that is what we had thought of so far....

notme Experienced

update:  bread and butter pickles (hub's grammy's recipe - it's awesome if anyone needs a good one)  turned out very well - did not break any jars, but i chickened out of quarts  :P just made a bunch of pint jars.  with grape leaves in them <boy, i hope that is really a grapevine........  my crazy neighbor says it is, it looks like a grapevine.  just for safety's sake, i ate one.  yesterday.  and i'm still ok so at least i know i'm not going to kill anyone.  death by pickles:  bwah hahahahhahaaaaaaa!!!!

have some half-sours brining that i'm going to take up to the polish/german experts to get their opinions  :)  vacuum sealed a bunch of beans for the freezer.......  

yes, love2, i love those jars of good stuff, even to look at!  thought of you as i'm gathering a bunch of stuff from the pantry to take up with us as 'gifts' -  it's so funny people like home-canned stuff so well :)  

kenlove Rising Star

When I taught in Guam, we had to use they little iawatani gas  table top burners. It took two cans of gas to get up to 11 lbs of pressure and it took a long time  but it worked.  Usually you can find them in Oriental markets

Ken, have any suggestions on a heat source for canning out of doors?  big enough to get the temp high enough.

kenlove Rising Star

baby food? Mush?  Its over cooked no matter what you call it. Still edible but mush

Ken,

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you over process something. Say the reipe calls for 15 minutes at 10 pounds but you go for 20, what would be the results?

Ken,

kenlove Rising Star

well with some of my classes I can really understand death by pickles!    ( they are so good and I eat too much!)  :)

update:  bread and butter pickles (hub's grammy's recipe - it's awesome if anyone needs a good one)  turned out very well - did not break any jars, but i chickened out of quarts  :P just made a bunch of pint jars.  with grape leaves in them <boy, i hope that is really a grapevine........  my crazy neighbor says it is, it looks like a grapevine.  just for safety's sake, i ate one.  yesterday.  and i'm still ok so at least i know i'm not going to kill anyone.  death by pickles:  bwah hahahahhahaaaaaaa!!!!

have some half-sours brining that i'm going to take up to the polish/german experts to get their opinions   :)   vacuum sealed a bunch of beans for the freezer.......  

yes, love2, i love those jars of good stuff, even to look at!  thought of you as i'm gathering a bunch of stuff from the pantry to take up with us as 'gifts' -  it's so funny people like home-canned stuff so well :)

• 3 weeks later...
notme Experienced

well with some of my classes I can really understand death by pickles!    ( they are so good and I eat too much!)  :)

lolz!  

i am still pickling - the half-sours went over very well - they keep nicely in the fridge for a few weeks if you cut the brine with half water when they are the desired 'sour' - 36-72 hrs is the pickling time depending on your taste.  that was just water, salt, garlic, dill.  the polish nj people approved :)  

i'm putting some chow-chow up today or tomorrow - it calls for the stuff to be salted for several hours but i don't want to leave it overnight because it will get too soft.  i have to COMMIT lolz - we also have jalapenos coming in - so i can make some sweet chow-chow and some spicy hot :)

kenlove Rising Star

Sounds like you have your hands full with all these goodies. I"m on the road and have not had a chance to can much of anything. Did buy some great fermented pickles and kraut from some company called sonoma brinery I think it was. Really good.  Can't get back in the kitchen until Sept. for a couple of weeks then  head to the Philippines and Japan through Nov.  When I get back aorund thanksgiving I go in for knee replacement and get grounded for 2 months. Then I can pickle again!

lolz!  

i am still pickling - the half-sours went over very well - they keep nicely in the fridge for a few weeks if you cut the brine with half water when they are the desired 'sour' - 36-72 hrs is the pickling time depending on your taste.  that was just water, salt, garlic, dill.  the polish nj people approved :)

i'm putting some chow-chow up today or tomorrow - it calls for the stuff to be salted for several hours but i don't want to leave it overnight because it will get too soft.  i have to COMMIT lolz - we also have jalapenos coming in - so i can make some sweet chow-chow and some spicy hot :)

howlnmad Newbie

Chow Chow yesterday. 11 and 1/2 pints with no casualties. WOOT WOOT :D

Bread and butter pickles today and hopefully beets tomorrow.

kenlove Rising Star

love chowchow!

Maybe we should all have a trading circle -- We do bread and butter baby zuchinni since  its hard to get  decent  pickling cucumbers in Hawaii. When we do, I usually buy them all! 

Chow Chow yesterday. 11 and 1/2 pints with no casualties. WOOT WOOT :D

Bread and butter pickles today and hopefully beets tomorrow.

notme Experienced

love chowchow!

out of all the things we pickle/can, this is the most requested.  i have to hide the jars and give them as 'rewards' lolz.  none for my brother. hahahaaaaa!  :D

we *should* have a trade - you probably have something exotic to trade!  the bread & butter pickles are the UGLIEST things i have ever seen in a jar (barring anything in a mad scientist's lab lolz)  haven't tasted them yet.  mainly because after 16 jars i am sick of looking at them ;)  only one of them didn't seal and it's in the fridge.  i'll taste them when we're friends again   <_<   oh, and we used the grape leaves in them again.  i'm not dead yet so i guess they were really grape leaves.  (now i want to stuff them!)  

kenlove Rising Star

glad your  using grape leaves -- they work great and YES -- you can stuff them afterwards. I make all sorts of dolmades. do have all sorts of exotic stuff but  wont be around  until the first week of Sept.   tomorrow   maui.

must have been very wicked  sinc ei sure  get no rest

out of all the things we pickle/can, this is the most requested.  i have to hide the jars and give them as 'rewards' lolz.  none for my brother. hahahaaaaa!   :D

we *should* have a trade - you probably have something exotic to trade!  the bread & butter pickles are the UGLIEST things i have ever seen in a jar (barring anything in a mad scientist's lab lolz)  haven't tasted them yet.  mainly because after 16 jars i am sick of looking at them ;)  only one of them didn't seal and it's in the fridge.  i'll taste them when we're friends again   <_<   oh, and we used the grape leaves in them again.  i'm not dead yet so i guess they were really grape leaves.  (now i want to stuff them!)  

bayba792 Rookie

When I first started canning I used this website because I could not find the Ball blue book. I hope someone finds this useful for guidelines it is basic but also includes everything to get you started. 

Open Original Shared Link

notme Experienced

glad your  using grape leaves -- they work great and YES -- you can stuff them afterwards. I make all sorts of dolmades. do have all sorts of exotic stuff but  wont be around  until the first week of Sept.   tomorrow   maui.

must have been very wicked  sinc ei sure  get no rest

lolz, ken, you won't know how to act, setting still for that long!!  :D

notme Experienced

When I first started canning I used this website because I could not find the Ball blue book. I hope someone finds this useful for guidelines it is basic but also includes everything to get you started. 

sweet - thank you babya - what are you 'putting up' this year?  :)

kenlove Rising Star

this is the bible if you will, The book "so easy to preserve" by the univ. of Georgia is the backbone of all the USDA regulations. Ball blue book is great too.

kenlove Rising Star

very very very good point (^_^)

lolz, ken, you won't know how to act, setting still for that long!!   :D

• 3 weeks later...
howlnmad Newbie

I had someone question about okra (nasty stuff). He pickled some and says that as the jars cooled, the brine reduced. Claims it was 2" low over night. I suggesred repacking and processing using more brine. He was curious if this was common and how to avoid it. Any ideas?

notme Experienced

ken, are you on the couch yet?!  we also need you to settle the headspace argument!  too much headspace or too little?  which errs on the side of caution?  i get accused of leaving more than 1/4"  or 1/8" <depending on what we are canning))  do i really need a tiny ruler lolz  :lol:

Archived