101 replies to this topic

#46 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

make them into bread and butter  pickles-- just use the brine from the so easy to preserve book for B&B pickles.  We pick a lot when they are only  2 inches long so I usually pickle those( no choice since larger and the worm or fruit flies get them)  but you can make the slices.  with  the grape leaves they hold together well.

you can *kill* a man with these suckers - seriously, we have zucchinis like louisville sluggers - i just made a huge zucchini lasagne (and one 'untouchable' one for me) and i only used (almost) ONE ZUCCHINI!!  

the only canning song i came up with the shop-rite can-can song, but it was an old video and you could get 5 cans of veges in 1983 for a dollar.  what?   :blink:  !!!!!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

shop-rite  can can is a new one for me -- we didnt have that quality music in Hawaii <G>.

we used to stuff the monster Zucchini with pizza stuff and  took it to my friends pizza place.

These days I use  a spiralizer  to make noodles form the large ones.

just google spiralizer and you'll find a great tool.

you can *kill* a man with these suckers - seriously, we have zucchinis like louisville sluggers - i just made a huge zucchini lasagne (and one 'untouchable' one for me) and i only used (almost) ONE ZUCCHINI!!  

the only canning song i came up with the shop-rite can-can song, but it was an old video and you could get 5 cans of veges in 1983 for a dollar.  what?   :blink:  !!!!!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

#48 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Ken, have any suggestions on a heat source for canning out of doors?  big enough to get the temp high enough.

#49 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

yes, ken, while we're picking your brain (the part w/o the scissor-holes and grape leaves lolz) :

is there a reason some recipes designate using distilled water?  i always use 'boiled' water, unless the recipe calls to boil the liquid, then i just use 'tap' because i'm going to boil it anyway....  just wondering what the advantage/difference is (besides having to buy it!)  thanx!

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#50 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

My favourite things to can are jams and jellies, many savoury ones such as nectarine with thyme and caramelized onion, or apricot jalapeno. One favourite is roasted strawberry with balsamic jam.  Oh, and blood orange and grapefruit marmalade.  I also do my own tomato sauces, salsas and all sorts of cool condiments.  I love it!  It is so gratifying looking at row upon row of glistening jars in the pantry, waiting to use them.  Oh, I love making chile carrot pickles, dilled green beans, pickled garlic...

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#51 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

I know nothing about canning and wasn't going to read this thread....but you Canners are funny!  Who knew you had an official song and everything!  :D

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#52 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

I know nothing about canning and wasn't going to read this thread....but you Canners are funny!  Who knew you had an official song and everything!  :D

You just never know what you might find when you dig deep... :lol:

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#53 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

there are no words...........

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#54 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

there are no words...........

Just imaging Ken, in a Hawaiian shirt, do this dance! :)

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#55 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

i just figured him for the guy with the hat at the end....  those girls *hate* that hat.  i think every one of them kicked it  ^_^

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#56 howlnmad

howlnmad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

Ken, have any suggestions on a heat source for canning out of doors?  big enough to get the temp high enough.

The base to a turkey fryer will produce enough heat to get the job done.

#57 howlnmad

howlnmad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Ken,

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you over process something. Say the reipe calls for 15 minutes at 10 pounds but you go for 20, what would be the results?

#58 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

The base to a turkey fryer will produce enough heat to get the job done.

lol.that is what we had thought of so far....

#59 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

update:  bread and butter pickles (hub's grammy's recipe - it's awesome if anyone needs a good one)  turned out very well - did not break any jars, but i chickened out of quarts  :P just made a bunch of pint jars.  with grape leaves in them <boy, i hope that is really a grapevine........  my crazy neighbor says it is, it looks like a grapevine.  just for safety's sake, i ate one.  yesterday.  and i'm still ok so at least i know i'm not going to kill anyone.  death by pickles:  bwah hahahahhahaaaaaaa!!!!

have some half-sours brining that i'm going to take up to the polish/german experts to get their opinions  :)  vacuum sealed a bunch of beans for the freezer.......  

yes, love2, i love those jars of good stuff, even to look at!  thought of you as i'm gathering a bunch of stuff from the pantry to take up with us as 'gifts' -  it's so funny people like home-canned stuff so well :)  

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#60 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

When I taught in Guam, we had to use they little iawatani gas  table top burners. It took two cans of gas to get up to 11 lbs of pressure and it took a long time  but it worked.  Usually you can find them in Oriental markets

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vegetable canning, jellies, jams, preserves, salsa, pickles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: