101 replies to this topic

#61 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

baby food? Mush?  Its over cooked no matter what you call it. Still edible but mush

Ken,

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you over process something. Say the reipe calls for 15 minutes at 10 pounds but you go for 20, what would be the results?

Ken,

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you over process something. Say the reipe calls for 15 minutes at 10 pounds but you go for 20, what would be the results?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

well with some of my classes I can really understand death by pickles!    ( they are so good and I eat too much!)  :)

update:  bread and butter pickles (hub's grammy's recipe - it's awesome if anyone needs a good one)  turned out very well - did not break any jars, but i chickened out of quarts  :P just made a bunch of pint jars.  with grape leaves in them <boy, i hope that is really a grapevine........  my crazy neighbor says it is, it looks like a grapevine.  just for safety's sake, i ate one.  yesterday.  and i'm still ok so at least i know i'm not going to kill anyone.  death by pickles:  bwah hahahahhahaaaaaaa!!!!

have some half-sours brining that i'm going to take up to the polish/german experts to get their opinions   :)   vacuum sealed a bunch of beans for the freezer.......  

yes, love2, i love those jars of good stuff, even to look at!  thought of you as i'm gathering a bunch of stuff from the pantry to take up with us as 'gifts' -  it's so funny people like home-canned stuff so well :)

Japanese proverb

#63 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

well with some of my classes I can really understand death by pickles!    ( they are so good and I eat too much!)  :)

lolz!  

i am still pickling - the half-sours went over very well - they keep nicely in the fridge for a few weeks if you cut the brine with half water when they are the desired 'sour' - 36-72 hrs is the pickling time depending on your taste.  that was just water, salt, garlic, dill.  the polish nj people approved :)  

i'm putting some chow-chow up today or tomorrow - it calls for the stuff to be salted for several hours but i don't want to leave it overnight because it will get too soft.  i have to COMMIT lolz - we also have jalapenos coming in - so i can make some sweet chow-chow and some spicy hot :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#64 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

Sounds like you have your hands full with all these goodies. I"m on the road and have not had a chance to can much of anything. Did buy some great fermented pickles and kraut from some company called sonoma brinery I think it was. Really good.  Can't get back in the kitchen until Sept. for a couple of weeks then  head to the Philippines and Japan through Nov.  When I get back aorund thanksgiving I go in for knee replacement and get grounded for 2 months. Then I can pickle again!

lolz!  

i am still pickling - the half-sours went over very well - they keep nicely in the fridge for a few weeks if you cut the brine with half water when they are the desired 'sour' - 36-72 hrs is the pickling time depending on your taste.  that was just water, salt, garlic, dill.  the polish nj people approved :)

i'm putting some chow-chow up today or tomorrow - it calls for the stuff to be salted for several hours but i don't want to leave it overnight because it will get too soft.  i have to COMMIT lolz - we also have jalapenos coming in - so i can make some sweet chow-chow and some spicy hot :)

Japanese proverb

#65 howlnmad

howlnmad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

Chow Chow yesterday. 11 and 1/2 pints with no casualties. WOOT WOOT :D

Bread and butter pickles today and hopefully beets tomorrow.

#66 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

love chowchow!

Maybe we should all have a trading circle -- We do bread and butter baby zuchinni since  its hard to get  decent  pickling cucumbers in Hawaii. When we do, I usually buy them all! 

Chow Chow yesterday. 11 and 1/2 pints with no casualties. WOOT WOOT :D

Bread and butter pickles today and hopefully beets tomorrow.

Japanese proverb

#67 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

love chowchow!

out of all the things we pickle/can, this is the most requested.  i have to hide the jars and give them as 'rewards' lolz.  none for my brother. hahahaaaaa!  :D

we *should* have a trade - you probably have something exotic to trade!  the bread & butter pickles are the UGLIEST things i have ever seen in a jar (barring anything in a mad scientist's lab lolz)  haven't tasted them yet.  mainly because after 16 jars i am sick of looking at them ;)  only one of them didn't seal and it's in the fridge.  i'll taste them when we're friends again   <_<   oh, and we used the grape leaves in them again.  i'm not dead yet so i guess they were really grape leaves.  (now i want to stuff them!)  

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#68 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

glad your  using grape leaves -- they work great and YES -- you can stuff them afterwards. I make all sorts of dolmades. do have all sorts of exotic stuff but  wont be around  until the first week of Sept.   tomorrow   maui.

must have been very wicked  sinc ei sure  get no rest

out of all the things we pickle/can, this is the most requested.  i have to hide the jars and give them as 'rewards' lolz.  none for my brother. hahahaaaaa!   :D

we *should* have a trade - you probably have something exotic to trade!  the bread & butter pickles are the UGLIEST things i have ever seen in a jar (barring anything in a mad scientist's lab lolz)  haven't tasted them yet.  mainly because after 16 jars i am sick of looking at them ;)  only one of them didn't seal and it's in the fridge.  i'll taste them when we're friends again   <_<   oh, and we used the grape leaves in them again.  i'm not dead yet so i guess they were really grape leaves.  (now i want to stuff them!)  

Japanese proverb

#69 bayba792

bayba792

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

When I first started canning I used this website because I could not find the Ball blue book. I hope someone finds this useful for guidelines it is basic but also includes everything to get you started. 

http://nchfp.uga.edu...tions_usda.html

#70 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

glad your  using grape leaves -- they work great and YES -- you can stuff them afterwards. I make all sorts of dolmades. do have all sorts of exotic stuff but  wont be around  until the first week of Sept.   tomorrow   maui.

must have been very wicked  sinc ei sure  get no rest

lolz, ken, you won't know how to act, setting still for that long!!  :D

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#71 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

When I first started canning I used this website because I could not find the Ball blue book. I hope someone finds this useful for guidelines it is basic but also includes everything to get you started. 

sweet - thank you babya - what are you 'putting up' this year?  :)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#72 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:54 AM

this is the bible if you will, The book "so easy to preserve" by the univ. of Georgia is the backbone of all the USDA regulations. Ball blue book is great too.

Japanese proverb

#73 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

very very very good point (^_^)

lolz, ken, you won't know how to act, setting still for that long!!   :D

Japanese proverb

#74 howlnmad

howlnmad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

I had someone question about okra (nasty stuff). He pickled some and says that as the jars cooled, the brine reduced. Claims it was 2" low over night. I suggesred repacking and processing using more brine. He was curious if this was common and how to avoid it. Any ideas?

#75 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

ken, are you on the couch yet?!  we also need you to settle the headspace argument!  too much headspace or too little?  which errs on the side of caution?  i get accused of leaving more than 1/4"  or 1/8" <depending on what we are canning))  do i really need a tiny ruler lolz  :lol:

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vegetable canning, jellies, jams, preserves, salsa, pickles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: