101 replies to this topic

#76 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

Just eating some pickled okra my class made a month ago. Really good especially with a bread and butter recipe. This was not a problem for us as the stem end was trimmed very low. None of the seeds escaped but the brine could still penetrate.  What wasn't clear is if the brine was low when the jar came out of the hot water bath or just evaporated? In  either case you have make sure the seal is really sealed.  I've known people to poke a pin hole in the top of the okra to let air escape. They really are good once you get the right recipe.

I had someone question about okra (nasty stuff). He pickled some and says that as the jars cooled, the brine reduced. Claims it was 2" low over night. I suggesred repacking and processing using more brine. He was curious if this was common and how to avoid it. Any ideas?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#77 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

I err on the side of too little head space although  really try to get it right. Since we sell a lot, if there is too much, customers think your cheating them! If there is too little you can have a nasty clean up job.  I was trying to find some of my old 40s books that talk about the amount of time for processing. Also adapting things for the tropics is different. We boil jars for 20 minutes and nothing has been over cooked yet. Pickles included although I always use grape leaves with mine.   The Ball canning set does come with a tiny ruler (^_^). I just need different glasses to read it -- NOT

ken, are you on the couch yet?!  we also need you to settle the headspace argument!  too much headspace or too little?  which errs on the side of caution?  i get accused of leaving more than 1/4"  or 1/8" <depending on what we are canning))  do i really need a tiny ruler lolz  :lol:

Japanese proverb

#78 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

dah - i think i just lost that argument!   i was thinking of marking on my funnel somehow - mostly everything calls for 1/8" or 1/4" - just so i didn't have to use a tiny ruler (hey, it must have been REALLY tiny, i didn't find it in the box!)

The Ball canning set does come with a tiny ruler ( ^_^). I just need different glasses to read it -- NOT

we need different glasses to tell our other different glasses apart from our regular different glasses !  :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#79 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

omce you get used to the space on 1 type of jar then then the rest just have to be about the same. Its much more crucial for high pressure than a regular water bath. the head space gauge is on the other end of the stick used to release the trapped bubbles. 

take care

dah - i think i just lost that argument!   i was thinking of marking on my funnel somehow - mostly everything calls for 1/8" or 1/4" - just so i didn't have to use a tiny ruler (hey, it must have been REALLY tiny, i didn't find it in the box!)

we need different glasses to tell our other different glasses apart from our regular different glasses !   :D

Japanese proverb

#80 howlnmad

howlnmad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Ken. He says that they were full when they came out but the brine level shrunk over night. He also claims that the seals were good. I suggested that he poke the tops to let air escape.

#81 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

hard to say without seeing it -- I never had that trouble. One of the things they always say in the Blue Book or SO Easy To Preserve is to make sure there is no air trapped in the jar. Hopefully they can get  rid of it next time.

Thanks Ken. He says that they were full when they came out but the brine level shrunk over night. He also claims that the seals were good. I suggested that he poke the tops to let air escape.

Japanese proverb

#82 howlnmad

howlnmad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

hard to say without seeing it -- I never had that trouble. One of the things they always say in the Blue Book or SO Easy To Preserve is to make sure there is no air trapped in the jar. Hopefully they can get  rid of it next time.

Thanks again, Ken. He says that he's cutting the tops off now and not having any problems.

#83 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

Great, I've been cutting up mine and putting it in salads.  Going to have to plant more! 

Japanese proverb

#84 bayba792

bayba792

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

sweet - thank you babya - what are you 'putting up' this year?  :)

My garden was a fail this year because of pest. They ate everything including my grape vine :( I have tried everything. I will do tomato sauce, soups, beans, and meat. My hubby is going hunting this season so I will be canning whatever he brings home. I was looking forward to making more jam but next season. I am going to be canning pumpkin also and that is about it. I have yet to experiment beyond that. What are you canning?

#85 howlnmad

howlnmad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Somebody picked a whole mess of jalapenos so it looks like it's time to make some jam and pickle some. :D

#86 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

yumm--      have to buy ours at the store -- they  dont grow well  here -- too hot

Somebody picked a whole mess of jalapenos so it looks like it's time to make some jam and pickle some. :D

Japanese proverb

#87 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

hope your using high pressure for the beans and meat!

My garden was a fail this year because of pest. They ate everything including my grape vine :( I have tried everything. I will do tomato sauce, soups, beans, and meat. My hubby is going hunting this season so I will be canning whatever he brings home. I was looking forward to making more jam but next season. I am going to be canning pumpkin also and that is about it. I have yet to experiment beyond that. What are you canning?

Japanese proverb

#88 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

I canned some tomatoes today, 13 pints  :) Tomorrow it will be Salsa :) 

2013-09-21142424_zps230970ab.jpg

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#89 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Looks Great!

I canned some tomatoes today, 13 pints   :) Tomorrow it will be Salsa :)

2013-09-21142424_zps230970ab.jpg

Japanese proverb

#90 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

Looks Great!

Ty :) I canned Salsa yesterday. It wiped me out canning 2 days in a row so I took a break today :)

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vegetable canning, jellies, jams, preserves, salsa, pickles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: