101 replies to this topic

#91 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

I canned some tomatoes today, 13 pints   :) Tomorrow it will be Salsa :)

2013-09-21142424_zps230970ab.jpg

that is a beautiful sight!  :)  i love it when the pantry is full of those lil' jars of yumminess. 

we have this contraption that squishes the pulp and juice out of the tomatoes (minus skin and seeds) so we have been freezing them.  so far so good - if we have a power outage, we are having marinara for dinner for a month lolz :D  i have cooked some of the tomatoes down into pizza sauce, then put them through the contraption and freeze them in dixie cups (each enough sauce to make one pizza)  i wish i grew more basil because i am almost out of the pesto i put up last year - it's so pretty and green - much better than you could ever buy........  anyways, i froze the pesto in dixie cups and they are about 2 TB each so if i need some, viola!  i got just enough  :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Nope -- you cna never have enough pesto! :rolleyes:

that is a beautiful sight!  :)  i love it when the pantry is full of those lil' jars of yumminess. 

we have this contraption that squishes the pulp and juice out of the tomatoes (minus skin and seeds) so we have been freezing them.  so far so good - if we have a power outage, we are having marinara for dinner for a month lolz :D  i have cooked some of the tomatoes down into pizza sauce, then put them through the contraption and freeze them in dixie cups (each enough sauce to make one pizza)  i wish i grew more basil because i am almost out of the pesto i put up last year - it's so pretty and green - much better than you could ever buy........  anyways, i froze the pesto in dixie cups and they are about 2 TB each so if i need some, viola!  i got just enough  :)

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

#93 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

I have Diverticulosis so I try and get every seed out of my tomatoes I can. Of course the 1st batch I do .. I forget lol'z

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#94 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

you guys should try making tomato jam!! Yummy!! Omg!! I don't have a recipe handy but look it up. Kids love it!!!

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#95 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

one of my master food preserver students  came up with a watermelon jam recipe that tasted like jolly rancher candies! also amazing

you guys should try making tomato jam!! Yummy!! Omg!! I don't have a recipe handy but look it up. Kids love it!!!

Japanese proverb

#96 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

one of my master food preserver students  came up with a watermelon jam recipe that tasted like jolly rancher candies! also amazing

Sounds amazing!! :) I might have to look that one up :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#97 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

i'll have to post it when i get back in a couple of weeks - if i can find it.  The  watermelon on Molokai island is the sweetest ever!

Sounds amazing!! :) I might have to look that one up :)

Japanese proverb

#98 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have Diverticulosis so I try and get every seed out of my tomatoes I can. Of course the 1st batch I do .. I forget lol'z

this thing is a-mazing - we just quarter the tomatoes and throw them in a hopper - it goes through a screen, juice and pulp comes out, skin and seeds come out another 'chute'  :)  it's called "roma food strainer and sauce maker"  i think it runs about $50 but worth every penny.  hubs hates the seeds and we can do tomatoes in like, 30 minutes, skinless and seedless  :)  i freeze the sauce in qt ziploks but you could easily pressure can it.

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#99 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

i DID make some last year and it was pretty awesome :)  i recall it was stupid easy, too, (and i didn't take out the seeds but now i can so hubs will eat it!  lolz) so that is a great idea.  i am running out of ideas for tomatoes - right now i have roasted garlic & tomatoes & thyme cooked and ready to be de-seeded and de-skinned to put up for soup base.   but the tomatoes continue to produce fruit!  dumb things, don't they know it's almost october <_<  they are so delicious fresh - wish i could save me out one or two per week for awesome grilled cheese  :lol:

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#100 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

I have a contraption to take seeds and skin off. I prefer chunky Salsy and tomatoes. :) Maby I prefer to take all day!! Lol Now today I heard about someone making Green Tomato Jam!! 

Almost Oct!! Yes!! I am still getting my tomatoes also.. I have only had one batch as of yet. w8in4more!! :) next week I will do some more :) Hopefully!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#101 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

we always  use the juiceman or jack lalane type  juicer to get ride of the seeds. Its  $100. + machine but works on everything. juicing pineapple in -- skin and all is a real treat.

this thing is a-mazing - we just quarter the tomatoes and throw them in a hopper - it goes through a screen, juice and pulp comes out, skin and seeds come out another 'chute'  :)  it's called "roma food strainer and sauce maker"  i think it runs about $50 but worth every penny.  hubs hates the seeds and we can do tomatoes in like, 30 minutes, skinless and seedless  :)  i freeze the sauce in qt ziploks but you could easily pressure can it.

Japanese proverb

#102 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Well I made my Tomato Jam today!! OMG did I say amazing? Ohhhhh I could eat it right out of the pan!! So before you make this get yourself some of your favorite gluten-free crackers!! 

Ingredients

* 5 pounds firm, ripe tomatoes, finely chopped ( I used 4 cups already chopped) 
* 3 1/2 cups sugar
* 8 tablespoons lime juice
* 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon red chili flakes

Directions

1. Combine all the ingredients in a large, non-reactive pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the temperature to a simmer. Stirring regularly, simmer the jam until it reduces to a sticky, jammy mess. This will take between 1 and 1 1/2 hours, depending on how high you keep your heat.

2. When the jam has cooked down sufficiently, remove it from the heat and fill the jars, leaving 1/4 inch of head space. Wipe the rims with a clean, damp paper towel, apply the lids and twist on the rings. Process in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes.

3. When time is up, remove jars from water bath and allow them to cool. When the jars are cool enough to handle, test the seals. Store the jars in a cool, dark place for up to one year.

2013-10-06204536_zps2a1a0c8d.jpg

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vegetable canning, jellies, jams, preserves, salsa, pickles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: