4 replies to this topic

#1 seraphim

seraphim

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

About a month ago I realized for months I'd been having too much fiber due to a high intake of beans. Practically every meal. I was wondering if this can cause issues with nutrient absorption? I'm guessing yes since it makes food move too quickly through the intestinal tract? Every morning I woke up...ran to the washroom and had to go right away. Always loose but not diarrhea. Could this have contributed to some nutrient issues I'm having now like slightly lowered potassium?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

You may have to try cutting back on the beans and see if it helps.  I believe that beans are rather known to be hard to digest.  You could also look into whether beans/fiber may interfere with uptake of potassium.  A bite of parsley or small amounts of celery can help raise the potassium levels(I think) and energy, at least if your body responds to them as mine does.

Are you cooking the beans or grinding them?  I wasn't tolerating ground beans, but I seemed to handle boiled beans okay. 

I don't know about transit time and fiber.  Perhaps someone will.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't think that the fiber will affect absorption. You absorb nutrients in the stomach and small intestine. Fiber does what it does in the large intestine. The fiber in beans leads to production of intestinal gas by the bacteria in the colon. This gas can cause various things, including nobody wanting to be in the same room.  :ph34r:

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Lol Peter too funny. I was getting about 45-50 grams of fiber with loose bowels but no crazy gas anymore strangely.  I've been feeling much better without them so maybe I'll go easy in the future with them instead. 

#5 pugmug

pugmug

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

It is my understanding that:

- water soluble fiber can interfere with nutrient absorption

- insoluble fiber can bind to certain minerals which prevents them from being absorbed

- the benefits of consuming fiber outweighs this for most people

You could try laying off a bit and see if things firm up. Re. the potassium, I'm not sure if beans or fiber alone could really cause a true deficiency, but that's a good question! It could also be low because you're not consuming enough, your intestines are still healing from celiac or food intolerances, you're consuming other foods that interfere with absorption (too much sodium, coffee, alcohol), etc. Has it always been low? Or is this a new problem that started with the bean-heavy diet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: