30 replies to this topic

#16 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

This thread got me thinking that I should try Epsom salts in a bath, since I've had SI joint pain for decades that hasn't responded to other treatments (acupuncture, massage, cortisone shots, etc.). I put two cups in a full bath, as the package said. Within minutes, my feet got a painful pins-and-needles feeling, and my skin got very red everywhere that was in the water. The water was slightly hot but cooled off quickly; it really wasn't anywhere near hot enough to cause this reaction from temperature alone. I stayed in the bath for about 15 minutes, and then about 10 minutes after I got out I suddenly felt very nauseous. The nausea went away after a little while. Is this a normal reaction of the body detoxifying? These were ordinary, plain Epsom salts with no added fragrance or anything like that. I am on my fifth day gluten-free, so I'm sure I am detoxing in general, but this still seemed like an unusually powerful reaction to have to a simple bath. 

Sorry this is slightly off of the original topic. I considered starting a new thread, but it seemed silly to have two threads about Epsom salts going simultaneously...

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

This thread got me thinking that I should try Epsom salts in a bath, since I've had SI joint pain for decades that hasn't responded to other treatments (acupuncture, massage, cortisone shots, etc.). I put two cups in a full bath, as the package said. Within minutes, my feet got a painful pins-and-needles feeling, and my skin got very red everywhere that was in the water. The water was slightly hot but cooled off quickly; it really wasn't anywhere near hot enough to cause this reaction from temperature alone. I stayed in the bath for about 15 minutes, and then about 10 minutes after I got out I suddenly felt very nauseous. The nausea went away after a little while. Is this a normal reaction of the body detoxifying? These were ordinary, plain Epsom salts with no added fragrance or anything like that. I am on my fifth day gluten-free, so I'm sure I am detoxing in general, but this still seemed like an unusually powerful reaction to have to a simple bath. 

Sorry this is slightly off of the original topic. I considered starting a new thread, but it seemed silly to have two threads about Epsom salts going simultaneously...

I agree that it is good to keep all the epsom talk in one place.

My first thought is that you should take another bath tomorrow at approximately the same time and temperature without epsom salt to see if just sitting in a warm tub caused this reaction.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

We were talking about Epsom salts baths in yoga. A couple people said they like it half strength.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#19 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

I've never tried Epsom salts but think I may now as it looks like from this info, that even bathing in it can have an effect on kidneys and liver etc....unless I've read it wrong? (I am tired and its gone past my bedtime!). Also, I may try my son who has dyspraxia/autism.

http://www.thepeacef...o.uk/epsom.html
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

My first thought is that you should take another bath tomorrow at approximately the same time and temperature without epsom salt to see if just sitting in a warm tub caused this reaction.

I tried a normal, similar bath (without Epsom salts) and nothing unusual happened. I do often take baths, and they've never made me nauseous before. An hour later I tried a foot bath in the salts, and I got all tingly and nauseous again! Weird.

I'll try a foot bath with a much smaller amount next time, and see if I can work my way up. It would be nice to have an alternative to oral magnesium supplements once in a while, though I tolerate the pills just fine as long as I take them with food. Thanks for the suggestions.

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

#21 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

I tried a normal, similar bath (without Epsom salts) and nothing unusual happened. I do often take baths, and they've never made me nauseous before. An hour later I tried a foot bath in the salts, and I got all tingly and nauseous again! Weird.

I'll try a foot bath with a much smaller amount next time, and see if I can work my way up. It would be nice to have an alternative to oral magnesium supplements once in a while, though I tolerate the pills just fine as long as I take them with food. Thanks for the suggestions.

Interesting....thanks for the update :)

Meanwhile....I continue to soak each morning -- to get muscles/joints moving -- not sure how much this helps as magnsium supplementation.  Do know that my skin has been glowing of late -- which is nice.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#22 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:14 PM

AngieJoy did you have any luck finding gluten free or certified gluten free Epsom salts? I'm extremely sensitive to cross contamination and can't seem to use ANYTHING that's not verified. Epsom salt baths significantly help my rls and muscle spasms when I get glutened but I want to make sure I can find and use soemthing safe for me. I'm disgusted at how rude some of these comments have been towards your very legitimate question. I am only wish I wasn't this sensitive and didn't have to check everything I ingest, touch, bathe in, put on my face or inhale but such is my life. And I am part of a good support group of people who are mostly even more sensitive than I am. Any info on the Epsom salts would be totally appreciated!
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#23 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:36 AM

AngieJoy did you have any luck finding gluten free or certified gluten free Epsom salts? I'm extremely sensitive to cross contamination and can't seem to use ANYTHING that's not verified. Epsom salt baths significantly help my rls and muscle spasms when I get glutened but I want to make sure I can find and use soemthing safe for me. I'm disgusted at how rude some of these comments have been towards your very legitimate question. I am only wish I wasn't this sensitive and didn't have to check everything I ingest, touch, bathe in, put on my face or inhale but such is my life. And I am part of a good support group of people who are mostly even more sensitive than I am. Any info on the Epsom salts would be totally appreciated!

The Op was talking about "eating" them.  I would think they would be fine for bathing.  I can''t see where gluten  cc could happen as you wouldn't make other things on that type of manufacturing line or in the mine?  I doubt any company would tell you they tested them for gluten as the product and the processing would have nothing to do with gluten.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#24 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:40 AM

Where exactly in the process would Epsom salt come in contact with a gluten containing product????

Epson salt makes a wonderful lawn fertilizer too.  Gives your grass that deep, deep green color :D.

#25 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:52 AM

Calm down people. :o

This should be a simple question.  Food safe sea salt and Magnesium Sulfate,  sea salt is in the spice section (I trust McCormick brand) and Magnesium Sulfate can be found in the vitamin section (not sure of a first choice brand to suggest).  I would not look in the bubble bath area for this use of the products.

The first rule for Celiacs is to verify that something is gluten free. :D

Michigan

#26 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:57 AM

This should be a simple question.  Food safe sea salt and Magnesium Sulfate,  sea salt is in the spice section (I trust McCormick brand) and Magnesium Sulfate can be found in the vitamin section (not sure of a first choice brand to suggest).  I would not look in the bubble bath area for this use of the products.

Yes.  And the poster that brought this thread back wasn't going to eat them like the first poster was.

santa-dance.gif

#27 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

I was just looking up information about "the salt cleanse", it seems to be very popular.  It definitely has it's warnings, and there is a toxic level of Magnesium Sulfate for humans (which part of the early toxicity level is what flushes the colon as I understand it).

Not a doctor, not even playing a doctor on-line today.  Every Epsom salt package I have at my home says for external use only (they are all jazzed up with bath time scents like chamomile).

Learn something new everyday ~ Some people are eating Epsom Salts.  I'll stand by my advice, go to food safe areas of the grocery store if you are planning on consuming.  You will have a more accurate dosage amount.  I just want to add that that sea salt needs to be non added iodine.  Apparently the iodine would be more likely to make the person vomit, above the normal likelihood.

Michigan

#28 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

Right, but this is like asking if bananas are gluten-free....

#29 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:45 PM

Right, but this is like asking if bananas are gluten-free....

which, i'm sure someone has at one point or another on this forum.  what's your point.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#30 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

which, i'm sure someone has at one point or another on this forum.  what's your point.

Point is that the question was asked and answered and the OP kept trying to dismiss the answers....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: