This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hi Everyone, I'm Back!

come dance with me

come dance with me Enthusiast

2012 was not very kind to our family.  To start with, a drunk driver flew through a give way sign into the side of my car.  3 months before the car was fixed.  That was January, it was fixed in April which is lucky because in May my brother crashed a van into the side of a cement bridge and nearly died, was airlifted to the hospital near me meaning my mum had to get someone to drive her down and my father had to fly up from Victoria, but at least we had my car back by then.  He was in hospital until August, but is not allowed to drive until October when he can re-sit a driving test since he sustained massive head injuries and lost one eye.  He started back at work part-time in October but was still in intense physio therapy at the time as well.  He started in a different, less physical role full time in his job in early November, then a week later we had an intruder break into our home.  He was not there to rob us.  I was his target.  He has been arrested a few weeks ago after doing the same to another person and having the DNA come back as a match to what was found on me.  It was pretty brutal.  I rang 000 (emergency number for Australia) and although they took a long time, he had said that he was going to kill me and my daughter, but then the police came screaming down and he took off.  He's facing pretty hefty charges, but it won't go to court for a while.  It could be up to 2 years before this is all over, but he's off the street now and will remain in prison until the trial.  After the break in, we moved into my mum's house and I gave up the house.  Some time between when we were broken into and when the removalist went in to pack everything up and transport it out here (2 hours away on the highway) we were robbed.  Luckily when the police asked if I wanted them to pack everything and I had done the washing that weekend so had one basket of clean, folded clothing that was not yet put away and one basket of clothing that needed ironing, so I asked them to grab those 2 baskets, they had a decent range of clean clothing in them, along with the cat, dog and fish.   My daughter asked them to pack her Mambo bag with all the toys from her bed, her portable DVD player and charger from next to her bed, her DS that was on the charger, also next to her bed and her book we had been reading, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.  Pretty much everything else was stolen, all our glassware and crockerty was smashed all through the kitchen, the mattresses and lounge chairs were slashed with a knife, the house was full of empty beer cans and McDonald's rubbish, I'm glad to have not seen it, I would have been traumatised once again.  The removalist got what he could.  It was interesting to note the things that were NOT stolen.  For instance, my daughter's Christening cup was stolen, but not my 21st metal wine goblet or the wine goblet with the dragon on it.  These were on display on the same shelf as my daughter's Christening cup.  Things that looked like uniforms were not taken like my work shirts, all the Cancer Council shirts, the sporting shirts we both have, the school uniforms that had been left in the wardrobe, none of those were stolen.  What's very interesting also is that all our Pirates of the Carribbean movies were stolen but none of the Disney Pixar movies, yet all my daughter's bedding was stolen which was Hannah Montana and also her clothing which is small kids sizes.  Most of our movies and CDs were safe, they were in celiac disease wallets that the police grabbed for us and put in her Mambo bag, all the Harry Potter movies and all her dinosaur documentaries, all her favourite movies.  All our CDs were in the wallet in the car except ones we really didn't listen to anyway.

So that was 2012 for our family!

Now we're still at my mum's house, I had some physical injuries to recover from and both of us were quite shaken up by the whole ordeal, but we're moving again in December to a place we call a tropical paradise and life will hopefully return to normal for us, growing our herbs, fruit, veges.

Now a quick re-introduction.  My daughter and I are vegan, and in 2010 she was diagnosed with coeliac disease after years of being sick and me not knowing why.  We went gluten free immediately and have not looked back.  I will occasionally buy something for myself if out without her, but find it a lot easier to have everything the same rather than separate meals when there's only 2 of us.  She is highly sensitive so I have to be on top of things to make sure there is no chance of her getting sick when we're out or away.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Wow...can't think of much to say other than....I'm thankful you seem to be overcoming and moving on to the next phase of you and your daughter's journey.  Heal well and keep looking forward to your move to paradise in December.

As I said the other day...good to see you back on this board :)

Thanks, thought I'd say a proper hello since it's been some time :)  It's good to be back!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Welcome back. It sounds like things have been very rough on your family and I hope things improve. Meanwhile,

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

It was quite a shocker of a year last year, but things can only get better from here :)

squirmingitch Veteran

My goodness! You've surely been through some major upheavals in 2012. My head is still spinning from just reading about it all. It's fantastic to hear that you are moving forward from all the mess. I wish you & your daughter, mom & brother a serene & happy 2013 & beyond. 

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

We've definitely been making the most of the year.  I wrote the car off in February during a trip to visit my cousin for her 30th lol, just because we hadn't quite lost everything yet, but that was from hitting a kangaroo, not anything truly bad.  In February we went to a little town in central Queensland at the coast, in March I flew to Brisband to buy a car and drive it back (1700km of road on my own in a new car, was an adventure) in April I flew to Sydney to see BLACK SABBATH!!! That was amazing.  In May we went on a road trip out west in my car with my mum, my daughter, my brother and his girlfriend, the car is a 7 seater and very spacious so we all fit comfortably, in June we went for a trip up north which is where the profile photo was taken, a place called Wolloman Falls (sp?) that looked a bit like a scene from Jurassic Park because of the intense fog, then this month we went a little to the south, all in my car but with the whole family.  It's been great, trying to see as much of Queensland as possible then we can move onto other states.  I've also decided we're moving to somewhere I've been wanting to move to for ages but felt tied to that house and my daughter's school, neither of which we even have anymore.  So it was the push we needed to make the move.  Bit of a drastic push, admittedly.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I really don't know what to say to 2012 except that I'm glad its over for you and that I'm glad you seem to have pulled through ok. I'm laughing at the hitting a kangaroo thing because the way you say it, it sounds just like we talk about hitting a deer back in PA. Meh, hit a deer, no biggie... shrug it off and get on with your life. You might get a little mad if you get a busted headlight instead of just dings and dents.

This year sounds generally awesome for you. Black Sabbath? I'm kind of a little jealous.

Bit of a drastic push, admittedly.

I nominate this for understatement of the century.

squirmingitch Veteran

I'm jealous about Black Sabbath too!

Laughing at hitting a Roo. Somehow I never thought about Aussies hitting Roos like we hit deer but it makes perfect sense. It can also kill your car!

Yeah haha, highlight of my year so far has been seeing Black Sabbath.  The siren began at the start of War Pigs, the lights were out, then suddenly the stage lights up and there he is, Ozzy Osbourne in the flesh, right there in front of us.  We were in the mosh pit near the side barrier.  It was an incredible moment, one that will be difficult to surpass.

And yes, the roo took out most of the engine because I caught it as it was crouched and ready to bouce upwards.  It was rather unfortunate.  Again, we were ok.  I cleaned everything of value out of the car and left the rest where it was.  Insurance paid out so I only had to take out a $6000 loan for the new (used) car.  It's a fantastic road tripping one, the new one.  A Ssangyong Stavic, '05 model, turbo diesel.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Welcome back!  I hope you will get some rest.

D

I really don't know what to say to 2012 except that I'm glad its over for you and that I'm glad you seem to have pulled through ok. I'm laughing at the hitting a kangaroo thing because the way you say it, it sounds just like we talk about hitting a deer back in PA. Meh, hit a deer, no biggie... shrug it off and get on with your life. You might get a little mad if you get a busted headlight instead of just dings and dents.

This year sounds generally awesome for you. Black Sabbath? I'm kind of a little jealous.

I nominate this for understatement of the century.

I'm very glad to be out the other side.  Will be feeling so much more free when the court case is over!  Very much an understatement, many tears have been shed already so I try to down play it a lot more now that we're a little further away from when it happened.

Loey Rising Star

2012 was not very kind to our family.  To start with, a drunk driver flew through a give way sign into the side of my car.  3 months before the car was fixed.  That was January, it was fixed in April which is lucky because in May my brother crashed a van into the side of a cement bridge and nearly died, was airlifted to the hospital near me meaning my mum had to get someone to drive her down and my father had to fly up from Victoria, but at least we had my car back by then.  He was in hospital until August, but is not allowed to drive until October when he can re-sit a driving test since he sustained massive head injuries and lost one eye.  He started back at work part-time in October but was still in intense physio therapy at the time as well.  He started in a different, less physical role full time in his job in early November, then a week later we had an intruder break into our home.  He was not there to rob us.  I was his target.  He has been arrested a few weeks ago after doing the same to another person and having the DNA come back as a match to what was found on me.  It was pretty brutal.  I rang 000 (emergency number for Australia) and although they took a long time, he had said that he was going to kill me and my daughter, but then the police came screaming down and he took off.  He's facing pretty hefty charges, but it won't go to court for a while.  It could be up to 2 years before this is all over, but he's off the street now and will remain in prison until the trial.  After the break in, we moved into my mum's house and I gave up the house.  Some time between when we were broken into and when the removalist went in to pack everything up and transport it out here (2 hours away on the highway) we were robbed.  Luckily when the police asked if I wanted them to pack everything and I had done the washing that weekend so had one basket of clean, folded clothing that was not yet put away and one basket of clothing that needed ironing, so I asked them to grab those 2 baskets, they had a decent range of clean clothing in them, along with the cat, dog and fish.   My daughter asked them to pack her Mambo bag with all the toys from her bed, her portable DVD player and charger from next to her bed, her DS that was on the charger, also next to her bed and her book we had been reading, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.  Pretty much everything else was stolen, all our glassware and crockerty was smashed all through the kitchen, the mattresses and lounge chairs were slashed with a knife, the house was full of empty beer cans and McDonald's rubbish, I'm glad to have not seen it, I would have been traumatised once again.  The removalist got what he could.  It was interesting to note the things that were NOT stolen.  For instance, my daughter's Christening cup was stolen, but not my 21st metal wine goblet or the wine goblet with the dragon on it.  These were on display on the same shelf as my daughter's Christening cup.  Things that looked like uniforms were not taken like my work shirts, all the Cancer Council shirts, the sporting shirts we both have, the school uniforms that had been left in the wardrobe, none of those were stolen.  What's very interesting also is that all our Pirates of the Carribbean movies were stolen but none of the Disney Pixar movies, yet all my daughter's bedding was stolen which was Hannah Montana and also her clothing which is small kids sizes.  Most of our movies and CDs were safe, they were in celiac disease wallets that the police grabbed for us and put in her Mambo bag, all the Harry Potter movies and all her dinosaur documentaries, all her favourite movies.  All our CDs were in the wallet in the car except ones we really didn't listen to anyway.

So that was 2012 for our family!

Now we're still at my mum's house, I had some physical injuries to recover from and both of us were quite shaken up by the whole ordeal, but we're moving again in December to a place we call a tropical paradise and life will hopefully return to normal for us, growing our herbs, fruit, veges.

Now a quick re-introduction.  My daughter and I are vegan, and in 2010 she was diagnosed with coeliac disease after years of being sick and me not knowing why.  We went gluten free immediately and have not looked back.  I will occasionally buy something for myself if out without her, but find it a lot easier to have everything the same rather than separate meals when there's only 2 of us.  She is highly sensitive so I have to be on top of things to make sure there is no chance of her getting sick when we're out or away.

I'm so sorry for everything that happened to you. How terrifying! May the rest of 2013 be kind to you and your family. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

mommida Enthusiast

Welcome back!

((HUGS))

You sure are proving "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"!

(now back over to your other post....)

Loey Rising Star

I'm very glad to be out the other side.  Will be feeling so much more free when the court case is over!  Very much an understatement, many tears have been shed already so I try to down play it a lot more now that we're a little further away from when it happened.

Love the quote on your page. Your amazing attitude will get you through this. Feel free to PM me any time!

I admit to drinking quite heavily for the last 6 months, not every day but far more than ever before.  However, all in all, I think things are going as well as expected.

w8in4dave Community Regular

Wow!! I am a newbie! So I will say hi 1st!! Nice to meet you!! I can see you are a very strong person!! Have been thru a lot!! Sounds like you come by it naturally!! Also are passing it down very nicely!! I wish you luck on you move! :) Hope things finally settle down for you! 

Loey Rising Star

Wow!! I am a newbie! So I will say hi 1st!! Nice to meet you!! I can see you are a very strong person!! Have been thru a lot!! Sounds like you come by it naturally!! Also are passing it down very nicely!! I wish you luck on you move! :) Hope things finally settle down for you! 

Welcome to our wonderful forum!!! 

w8in4dave Community Regular

Welcome to our wonderful forum!!! 

TY :) 

Thank you, and welcome! :)

First hearing today :unsure:

Loey Rising Star

First hearing today :unsure:

Good luck!!! Sending positive energy & BIG ((((hugs))))! ⭕❌

Not a good outcome today, now to wait and find out the next step.

GottaSki Mentor

Not a good outcome today, now to wait and find out the next step.

So sorry :(

Keep hanging tough!!!

nvsmom Community Regular

Welcome back and (((hugs))). Wow, you really deserve a good year now!

I hope the rest of the hearings go better. :(

Archived