This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Potty Training?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Okay this might be a bit off topic.. but I dunno where to look! :D How do you potty train a child, and how do you know when he is ready? Esply one with celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Okay this might be a bit off topic.. but I dunno where to look! :D How do you potty train a child, and how do you know when he is ready? Esply one with celiac disease?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

first how old is the kid?

you can't force the issue, I tried with my kid when she was 2 and believe me if they aren't ready no amount of anything on your part will make it work

I tried and tried and then I gave up, I just started reading her potty books and bought her panties and gave up on the training, one day after she turned 3 she came to me and said, I am ready to try panties now, and so I went and got them she had 2 accidents the first week and no more after that, when they are ready they are ready.

so read potty books, let them go to the potty with the same sex parent sometimes, and buy them cool undies a few sizes too big and wait until they show intrest :D

VydorScope Proficient
first how old is the kid?

you can't force the issue, I tried with my kid when she was 2 and believe me if they aren't ready no amount of anything on your part will make it work

I tried and tried and then I gave up, I just started reading her potty books and bought her panties and gave up on the training, one day after she turned 3 she came to me and said, I am ready to try panties now, and so I went and got them she had 2 accidents the first week and no more after that, when they are ready they are ready.

so read potty books, let them go to the potty with the same sex parent sometimes, and buy them cool undies a few sizes too big and wait until they show intrest  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He si only little past 2, but he likes to go sit on the toliet and after sitting on it a min he gat a piece of tolite paper and throws it in then flushes it.

I dunno how you tell they are ready... this be a bad week though he got the celiac disease runs agin. :(

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
He si only little past 2, but he likes to go sit on the toliet and after sitting on it a min he gat a piece of tolite paper and throws it in then flushes it.

I dunno how you tell they are ready... this be a bad week though he got the celiac disease runs agin. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

he sounds interested, keep his spirits up about "potty playing" (that is what I call it when they mimic using the potty but don't actually use it) Explain that his tummy is sick and when it gets better he can use the potty all the time, but make sure he knows that if he wants to try that it is okay, and if he has accidents when his tummy is sick that it is okay too.

I can't stress enough how important potty books and real underwear are though, let him go with you to the store to pick out his underwear and get whatever kind he wants, and make sure to get them at least 1 size too big so he can get them down in a hurry if he needs to.

Merika Contributor

You can start them as an infant. It's been in the news a lot lately. I've also done it in IRL. www.natural-wisdom.com is a good place to start. You can apply some of the same principles to a 2 year old. FWIW, most 2 year olds around the world are toilet trained, just here in the USA since Brazelton in the 1960s do we wait until kids are "ready" or three or now 4, 5, or 6.

Merika

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I was potty trained very early (I believe that I was about 18 months). My parents used a cheap doll that could pee and they would set it on the toilet as an example. lol :lol:

This worked for me! I can still remember my mom teaching me :lol:

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Vincent ,

Here's a few websites that we found useful. :)

Charmin Potty Kit-Comes with a little book and some other cute things. (FYI-the kit has a sheet of stickers that comes in the envelope that you might take out first, we weren't gluten-free at the time)

Open Original Shared Link

This website has some good info. on how to tell if your child is ready and how to begin. The website is great for other topics as well.

Baby Center is a good place to find information as well.

Another one with tons of links....

What an exciting time!!!

Hope this helps.

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tpineo Rookie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Part of the way we were led to a celiac disease dx with our daughter was because she was a bright, cooperative 2+ year old child who was having trouble with toilet training. Once we made the dx and got her on the gluten-free diet the toilet training was no problem. So my only advice is make sure your child has been gluten-free long enough not to have GI problems to deal with when you start potty training.

Good luck, Tania Greenville, PA

VydorScope Proficient

Thanks all! I'll read all those links while we wait for his system to recover (again).

Archived