2 replies to this topic

#1 KMMO320

KMMO320

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

I was diagnosed in Oct but I was in some denial for a while. In fact, several months ago, I even posted here how once in a while I would still consume gluten, in the hopes that I would have "gotten over" it, or maybe thinking the dr was wrong and I would be fine. 

I am happy to say that kind of thinking is gone and I have been 100% gluten free (aside from accidents) for some time now. 

I am diligent and I make sure to ask questions where ever I go. I am not worried about hurting people's feelings when I kindly decline to eat food they have made or brought to parties. I don't worry about participating in eating a group lunch at work. 

My friends, family and coworkers understand when and why I decline. Sure, some people still don't get it, some people even still think it is in my head, or that I am over reacting, but I really don't care. They can think what they want, they are not the ones who get sick. 

In the beginning, yes, I got sick when I ate gluten but I was so used to it before I was diagnosed that I did it any way. I used to brag about how I wasn't THAT sensitive that a little CC would bother me. It is so different now. I can tell within 30 mins if I had some fries that was cooked in the same oil as say, chicken fingers. Once, I buttered a gluten-free bagel with the butter in the fridge that I CLEARLY labeled as MOM's BUTTER..DO NOT USE! and I was sick an hour later. I found out my husband had used that butter for toast, re-dipping his knife. He really didn't think it would affect me. 

I ate gluten-free shrimp scampi at a restaurant and was VERY VERY sick the next day. I called and found out that they cook the gluten-free pasta in the same water as regular pasta! Some places and people simply do not know. 

I just came off of a week long migraine after eating at a cookout at my sister's house. It was the worst migraine ever. Even when I am careful, sometimes things happen but I am realizing that this is for the rest of my life and I accept it. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

Glad to see that you've adjusted! Life shouldn't be lived sick, not when health is so relatively easy. ^_^

Yes, sometimes things happen. Meh, life goes on right? This is part of life for us and as time goes on it will happen less and less. Practice makes perfect.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

:) That's great that you have found how to work around celiac (aside from a few accidents) and are in a good place with it.

My favourite fortune cookie ever said:

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

That's so true for anyone living with a chronic disease.  It's makes life easier if you work with what you've got.

I hope you continue to feel better, and manage to avoid future monster migraines.  :)

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: