This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Iron Deficiancy Anemia

Adalaide

Pegleg84 Collaborator

hope the infusions work out for you

And if its what you can eat, eat all the cow you need. So lucky you can still eat dairy (jealous)

feel better soon! Hope it all sorts out and you can figure out what else is wrong.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Made it home from the infusion all intact and survived it fine. (Except for the part where someone almost died in my book and I cried like a baby right when the nurse walked in. :ph34r:) I got a bit of a headache from it, but nothing I won't survive with a little afternoon nap. It is incredible to feel like I could eat something without vomiting.

Organizing my bookshelves again is tomorrow's to-do list. I'm not doing any bending/stooping with a headache, plus I'm keeping the noise to a minimum today. The hubs is still recovering from whatever had him so terribly ill yesterday and I want to let him just sleep. Somewhere in that mess I'll find my medical records and thyroid tests.

Adalaide Mentor

So, that cleaning at my leisure got kicked into high gear. My dad who lives 2000 miles away is 2 states away! I don't know that he is coming to visit but I have to think that he may, he is retired with all sorts of time on his hands and nothing better to do than ramble about, and being that close makes me think he may just pop in. GAH!!! I better get this place in ship shape!

So my records... that dips$#& doctor only ran one thyroid test. I found results from 1/15/13 and 4/1/11.

4/1/11: Thyroid Stimulating Hormone     2.33 uIU/mL     0.45-4.67 uIU/ML

1/15/13: Thyroid Stimulating Hormone   1.86 uIU/mL     same range

They both say under them "this is a 3rd generation TSH assay"

The moron didn't listen to a word out of my mouth about the whole it could be an autoimmune problem in which the numbers will be fine on the standard test so you need to test this and this and this and I gave him a freaking list of what to test for. I was at a point where I was so frustrated and upset with other things that I may have overlooked that when I saw the results myself. I was only a few short months away from firing him. (Which resulted in a very brief dalliance with an even more dips$#&ty doctor.)  I guess when I see the doctor on Thursday I will ask to have my thyroid actually tested. Sure, it is still in the "safe" range. But it also looks a whole lot like it could be a slowly tanking thyroid and if I can get a non-retarded doctor to do something now I could maybe stop it before it gives up on me entirely.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate doctors? (Mostly I suppose I should be mad at myself for not double checking but omg I gave him a list! How much more can I do to advocate for myself. I explained why as a celiac I needed these specific tests blah blah blah.)

ETA: I realize tanking isn't the right word. IDK what word to use but if my numbers just keep going down and down my thyroid is doing something wonky. Or maybe it is normal fluctuation. Still, not happy with not having the right tests done.

BZBee Apprentice

For borderline low iron take prenatal vitamins, gluten free of course. I take brain strong.

Adalaide Mentor

As a quick update, for anyone who hasn't read through every post. I am no longer taking iron pills. I began iron infusions yesterday after speaking with my insurance people on the phone and being told it is an approved treatment. I got a call yesterday afternoon and I guess there may be some confusion on that, but as far as I can tell the hospital isn't going to deny me the treatments. Come hell or high water, I'm not taking pills again. I'll sort out the financial crap I guess, but I won't go back to pills.

frieze Community Regular

So, that cleaning at my leisure got kicked into high gear. My dad who lives 2000 miles away is 2 states away! I don't know that he is coming to visit but I have to think that he may, he is retired with all sorts of time on his hands and nothing better to do than ramble about, and being that close makes me think he may just pop in. GAH!!! I better get this place in ship shape!

So my records... that dips$#& doctor only ran one thyroid test. I found results from 1/15/13 and 4/1/11.

4/1/11: Thyroid Stimulating Hormone     2.33 uIU/mL     0.45-4.67 uIU/ML

1/15/13: Thyroid Stimulating Hormone   1.86 uIU/mL     same range

They both say under them "this is a 3rd generation TSH assay"

The moron didn't listen to a word out of my mouth about the whole it could be an autoimmune problem in which the numbers will be fine on the standard test so you need to test this and this and this and I gave him a freaking list of what to test for. I was at a point where I was so frustrated and upset with other things that I may have overlooked that when I saw the results myself. I was only a few short months away from firing him. (Which resulted in a very brief dalliance with an even more dips$#&ty doctor.)  I guess when I see the doctor on Thursday I will ask to have my thyroid actually tested. Sure, it is still in the "safe" range. But it also looks a whole lot like it could be a slowly tanking thyroid and if I can get a non-retarded doctor to do something now I could maybe stop it before it gives up on me entirely.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate doctors? (Mostly I suppose I should be mad at myself for not double checking but omg I gave him a list! How much more can I do to advocate for myself. I explained why as a celiac I needed these specific tests blah blah blah.)

ETA: I realize tanking isn't the right word. IDK what word to use but if my numbers just keep going down and down my thyroid is doing something wonky. Or maybe it is normal fluctuation. Still, not happy with not having the right tests done.

Addy, the second # is better than the first...but getting the new doc to do the whole lot would be good!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

After dealing with thyroid for 7+ years I've decided tsh means jack crap. At least for me. If its high, it's just easier to get docs to pay attention - so it's convenient. The meat and potatoes are in the free hormone tests and antibodies.

So, get antibody panels and free t3/t4 and rt3, and take it from there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

After dealing with thyroid for 7+ years I've decided tsh means jack crap. At least for me. If its high, it's just easier to get docs to pay attention - so it's convenient. The meat and potatoes are in the free hormone tests and antibodies.

So, get antibody panels and free t3/t4 and rt3, and take it from there.

Those are what I explained to my doctor I needed done. I explained exactly why I needed them done...blah blah blah. At least my new doctor isn't a moron. Hopefully on Thursday I can go play with the vampires again and see what the tests say.

Archived