Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody Else Have Fruity Pebbles Issues?

• Please log in to reply

10 replies to this topic

#1 KristinIrwin

KristinIrwin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Okay so I know that Post claims that their fruity pebbles are gluten free. But I ate them the other day and had AWFUL stomach cramping. I didn't really see the connection then, so I ate them again this morning and I'm having bad symptoms again.

Fruity pebbles are the only new thing I have added to my diet in the past week.

I was only diagnosed about 2 months ago so I know I am still healing, but has anyone else had issues with fruity pebbles?

Kristin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

could be something in it that you can't handle. Such as food coloring, the sweetener, etc.

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Id vote for the coloring....one of my sons does cocoa pebbles find and bloats up with fruity.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

I have to agree that there are a lot of things about fruity pebbles that could disagree with you. My first thought before reading the other responses was that they have a LOT of color. I have eaten both kinds of pebbles and not had trouble with either.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 KristinIrwin

KristinIrwin

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

Ah, never thought of food coloring. I have rarely eaten foods with food coloring since I switched to gluten free so maybe that's it! I'll definitely not try them again. Thanks guys!

#6 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

Also, I'm still a little lactose intolerant, so the milk sometimes sets me off.  And I certainly can't drink whole milk (never could, actually) in any quantities.  Maybe it's not the cereal, but the milk?

#7 LisaRae28

LisaRae28

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:49 AM

I didn't realize I had lactose problems until about 2 months into it all and still tried to ignore it for another month. The ice cream did me in finally. And I had to try it again *just to make sure*. My doc recommended I get some lactaid and take that before eating ice cream again and if that helped then it was a sorta self-diag... I'd try it with Ice cream to see if its lactose for some reason edys did it more with me but overall the lactaid helps significantly.

#8 ccmom

ccmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Okay so I know that Post claims that their fruity pebbles are gluten free. But I ate them the other day and had AWFUL stomach cramping. I didn't really see the connection then, so I ate them again this morning and I'm having bad symptoms again.

Fruity pebbles are the only new thing I have added to my diet in the past week.

I was only diagnosed about 2 months ago so I know I am still healing, but has anyone else had issues with fruity pebbles?

Kristin

Many companies have 3rd party suppliers and these 3rd party suppliers do not disclose their ingredients with the companies they deliver to. So it could possibly have gluten in it - call and ask if they have 3rd party suppliers and if they disclose this information with them.

#9 Angel0223

Angel0223

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

I too had my doubts about Fruity Pebbles, so I emailed Post Foods and here is the reply I received:

________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your inquiry regarding discontinued Post Pebbles cereal.

Post Foods does not utilize wheat, oats, barley or rye in the formulation of Post Cocoa, Fruity Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles Treats, Post Marshmallow pebbles and Turbo cereal. We are happy to finally announce that these select products are gluten-free and are produced on a dedicated line containing no other gluten products. 

Since Celiac Disease is a growing concern among consumers, we have evaluated our process to ensure there is no cross-contact with products that contain gluten. We now have strict supplier verifications and a finished product testing protocol in place to ensure that our products meet or exceed the FDA’s “gluten free” standards.

We hope that you find this information beneficial.

Thank you contacting Post Foods.

Alicia Martinez
Consumer Response Representative

______________________________________________________________________________________________

My daughter is going to be so excited!!!!

#10 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

I buy them for my son (not gluten-free) and all I can tell you is the things are like glue. There may not be gluten in them, but wow they're sticky. Like scraping glue off a bowl. Don't let them dry in the bowl (or soak it to loosen).

He also eats cocoa pebbles (gluten-free). Not as sticky, milder glue?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#11 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

I buy them for my son (not gluten-free) and all I can tell you is the things are like glue. There may not be gluten in them, but wow they're sticky. Like scraping glue off a bowl. Don't let them dry in the bowl (or soak it to loosen).

He also eats cocoa pebbles (gluten-free). Not as sticky, milder glue?

I've never seen (at least recently, since they have declared "gluten free") a non-gluten free box of fruity pebbles?? That would be concerning for consumers. That’s like Chex making a non-gluten free rice Chex version. I don't see that happening....

I would vote the coloring as well. But then it could be dairy if you’re drinking regular cow’s milk too. You could always try them plain/dry and see what happens.

Personally I don't eat them myself; too much sugar and I think there are too many "fake" ingredients for my liking.

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users