Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Causes Neuro Issues?

4 posts in this topic

Hi - I've been gluten-free (dx with Celiac) about 5 months I'm feeling much, much better.  I did have what I can now see were 2 neuro episodes - one before dx and one about a week after I started gluten-free.  

One thing I haven't been able to suss out of everything I've read -- what causes the neuro issues:  Is it malabsorption of vitamins?  Or it inflammation interfering with neural pathways?  Or something else?  Do they know?  I'd really like to never, ever have that again and it would help me to understand.

Thanks.

Ads by Google:

Not knowing the kind of neuro issues you have had I would suggest  researching 'gluten ataxia' and see if that gives you the answers you are looking for .

Hi - I've been gluten-free (dx with Celiac) about 5 months I'm feeling much, much better.  I did have what I can now see were 2 neuro episodes - one before dx and one about a week after I started gluten-free.  

One thing I haven't been able to suss out of everything I've read -- what causes the neuro issues:  Is it malabsorption of vitamins?  Or it inflammation interfering with neural pathways?  Or something else?  Do they know?  I'd really like to never, ever have that again and it would help me to understand.

Thanks.

My 15-yr-old daughter has been on gluten-free diet (Celiac) for 4 years.  This spring she began having anxiety & migraines.  Following a lot of internet research, I decided it could be due to casein intolerance.  She added cf to her gluten-free diet and within days her migraines went away.  She stayed on the cf diet through the end of school when she added dairy back into her diet.  No migraines.  Two weeks ago, she developed peripheral neuropathy.  She has had blood work done & there is no reason for the neuropathy, so I'm thinking it is the casein since she adheres to a pretty strict gluten-free diet.   I wish someone could tell me if this even makes sense.  We have appt with gastro at the end of July, but will he even be able to address neuro issues?  I spend days searching the internet for answers.   

Gluten sensitivity can hurt the brain creating damage that is visible on an MRI. There are a couple of people on this board who had doctors thinking they had MS because of the damage done. I believe Ravenwoodglass is one who had visible damage.