This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

York Nutritional Labs Results

Nevadan

Nevadan Contributor

Since the value in these forums for me is the sharing of experiences, here’s my experience with York Nutritional Labs testing. Comments are welcome, particularly from those who have also had this testing done.

After finding I am gluten sensitive by self-diagnosis with confirmation testing by Enterolab, I submitted a blood sample to York Nutritional Labs for IgG ELISA testing for additional food intolerance. I did this with the full understanding that IgG ELISA testing is highly controversial in the medical profession - but so is gluten sensitivity.

I submitted York samples on Sept 7, 2005 after being gluten-free since June 2005. York Labs measures IgG reactions to 96 foods and provides their results for each food in a semi-quantitative bar chart format. They subdivide the bar lengths into four groups based on reactivity: None, Low, Moderate, High. Here is a brief summary of my results listed in order of magnitude within each category:

High: milk whey, almonds, kidney beans, milk, wheat gliadin, wheat gluten, wheat(whole), spelt

Moderate: egg white, cheddar cheese, casein, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg yolk, amaranth flour, corn, sesame

Low: rye, pineapple, string bean, filbert, oat, banana

None: all 11 types of fish, all vegs, all meat/fowl, many beans (incl soy), fruits, coffee, yeast, & nuts (except almonds)

I observe that at least the wheat gliadin/gluten and milk stuff results are pretty consistent with my Enterolab testing results and my self-diagnosis.

But, as with lots of testing the other “high” and “moderate” items are more confusing than not. Since there is no proven cause & effect for IgG reactions and specific symptoms, I find it difficult to guess what additional symptoms I have; all my recognized symptoms seem to be responding well to being gluten-free/CF. Next step is to try eliminating the “High” and at least the higher “Moderate” items to see if I can detect any health differences. I do keep a food/symptoms log which hopefully will help. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile I would really like to hear from anyone else who has had any IgG tests. Did you get any clear cause & effect if you eliminated the “High” items? Please include "no response" as well. If you had almond or kidney beans rated “High”, what type symptoms did they relate to for you (I know, mine may be different)? Any other general comments?

George

For reference:

gluten-free since June ’05 CF(mostly) since Aug ‘05

Per Enterolab

HLA-DQ1, DQ1 (not likely to develop villi damage (celiac disease) but subject to other equally dire effects from gluten sensitivity)

Antigliadin IgA = 22 (normal < 10)

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA = 17 (normal < 10)

Fecal Fat Score = 84 (normal < 300)

Anti-casein IgA = 19 (normal < 10)

Per Self Diagnosis:

gastro stuff (gas, bloat, constipation) improved within 48 hrs of gluten-free

neuro stuff (mild peripheral neuropathy, restless leg syndrone) improving

skin stuff (splitting, irritated area on face and between 2 toes) major improvement

other stuff (mild anemia, osteoporosis) – too soon to tell, will retest in Jan ‘06

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

George,

We have a problem accepting the results of my husband's York Nutritional testing. His FOODS TO AVOID:

Corn

Cow's milk

soy bean

cashew*

almond*

Yeast

wheat

egg yolk**

lentils*

hazelnut*

chili pepper*

* foods he hasn't eaten in over 20 years

** egg yolk: sometimes when cooked, it loses it's ability (in some people) to have an allergic reaction.

The theory is that you make antibodies to these foods. How can you have an antibody to something that you haven't eaten in over 20 years?

FOODS TO ROTATE

Brazil nuts *

Garlic

This part was interesting:

FOODS WITH NO REACTION

GLUTEN (!!!!!) is this because my husband was gluten-free for 10 mos when the blood was drawn?

If we eliminate gluten foods from his diet and the corn/milk/egg yolk then my husband isn't eating much as he can't have fruits and vegetables due to other intestinal sensitivities. We tried to subsitute corn meal/corn flour with sorghum and he got indigestion with sorghum.

We showed this to the gastro who was the doctor who gave him his correct diagnosis (he went 27 yrs with an incorrect diagnosis from several gastros and internists), and the gastro told us not to take this report very seriously.

I am extremely interested in knowing how you fared when you eliminated your FOODS TO AVOID.

I do have to say that my husband has neurological symptoms and I am afraid it could be the corn, but if we take more foods away from him, he won't have anything to eat and will drop precious pounds (he's 134 lbs at 5' 10" and appears anorexic).

Anyway, I for one would like to know your progress.

Deb

Rachel--24 Collaborator

George,

Thanks for sharing your results. :)

I think I told you when I had mine done I only reacted to alfalfa and mustard. They were colored yellow (1+) which meant low. I also had a seperate spice panel done and I had alot come back green (very low). These were not included on my little card because the reaction was too low.

-basil

-black pepper

-cinnamon

-cumin

-dill

-ginger

-nutmeg

-parsely

-peppermint

-sage

-thyme

-vanilla

The only things I've eaten on this list are vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and parsely.

Funny thing is I react pretty strongly to all of these. I had vanilla yogurt once and reacted the same as I would if it had been gluten. The same with vanilla extract. It only happens if I have large amounts and maybe these products did contain gluten but I'm pretty sure these will definately subside when my gut heals.

The report says these factors will have an impact on symptom development.

- An individual's "total load" of metabolic and inflammatory stressors on the immune system

-The ability of the immune system to prevent symtoms

-The ability of the intestinal wall to act as an effect barrier to food antigens

The more 'burdened" your immune system is the more likely you are to experience symtoms upon exposure to these substances.

Apparantly my immune system is real "stessed out' if I'm reacting to these "green" foods. :(

Merika Contributor

I had them done too. I haven't eliminated all my high foods because i tested allergic to everything I eat almost. here is some more info, which might also help deb.

The results for wheat/gluten have nothing to do with celiac. Celiac is not an *allergy*, so you can test fine for it on the york test, yet still have celiac. That George tested high for it, just means he's allergic to it too.

As for symptoms, yes they'll vary by person :) I find when i eat egg i get anxiety the next day. Weird, huh? I don't notice any digestive symptoms from it. Egg was one of the items i tested high for.

As for not having eaten something in 20 years, well it could mean you 1) really shouldn't eat it and this allergy isn't going away for you; or 2) there is something in the same *family of food* that you are eating. For example, I tested high to hops - now, I haven't had a beer in a long long time, and was never much of a drinker even in college, but then I found that figs are in the same family as hops, and I eat those almost every day.

Hth,

Merika

Nevadan Contributor
George,

Thanks for sharing your results.  :)

I think I told you when I had mine done I only reacted to alfalfa and mustard. They were colored yellow (1+) which meant low. I also had a seperate spice panel done and I had alot come back green (very low). These were not included on my little card because the reaction was too low.

-basil

-black pepper

-cinnamon

-cumin

-dill

-ginger

-nutmeg

-parsely

-peppermint

-sage

-thyme

-vanilla

The only things I've eaten on this list are vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and parsely.

Funny thing is I react pretty strongly to all of these. I had vanilla yogurt once and reacted the same as I would if it had been gluten. The same with vanilla extract. It only happens if I have large amounts and maybe these products did contain gluten but I'm pretty sure these will definately subside when my gut heals.

The report says these factors will have an impact on symptom development.

- An individual's "total load" of metabolic and inflammatory stressors on the immune system

-The ability of the immune system to prevent symtoms

-The ability of the intestinal wall to act as an effect barrier to food antigens

The more 'burdened" your immune system is the more likely you are to experience symtoms upon exposure to these substances.

Apparantly my immune system is real "stessed out' if I'm reacting to these "green" foods.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rachel,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm still trying to understand more about the different antibodies IgA, IgG,IgE hoping I can make some sense out of all this. I'm doing quite a bit of studying now, and if I feel like I learn enough to be worthwhile, I'll do a post.

Meanwhile just from what I've learned so far, perhaps your reaction to those "safe" spices might be an IgE reaction which is typically an immediate response based on histamine activation instead of a slower IgA or IgG reaction. I think the symtoms can be similar. Just a thought.

George

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel,

Meanwhile just from what I've learned so far, perhaps your reaction to those "safe" spices might be an IgE reaction which is typically an immediate response based on histamine activation instead of a slower IgA or IgG reaction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually these weren't considered "safe" they were just really low IgG reactions. A completely healthy person probably wouldnt experience symptoms for a very low IgG reaction...unless maybe they ate tons of the reactive food.

I, on the other hand react to my "very low" spices. I didnt have any high or moderate reactive foods....just these very low ones.

Great Smokies did some IgE tests along with it and I've had all kinds of IgE tests done by an allergist but I don't have any IgE responses to anything.

• 10 months later...
lindalee Enthusiast
Since the value in these forums for me is the sharing of experiences, here’s my experience with York Nutritional Labs testing. Comments are welcome, particularly from those who have also had this testing done.

After finding I am gluten sensitive by self-diagnosis with confirmation testing by Enterolab, I submitted a blood sample to York Nutritional Labs for IgG ELISA testing for additional food intolerance. I did this with the full understanding that IgG ELISA testing is highly controversial in the medical profession - but so is gluten sensitivity.

I submitted York samples on Sept 7, 2005 after being gluten-free since June 2005. York Labs measures IgG reactions to 96 foods and provides their results for each food in a semi-quantitative bar chart format. They subdivide the bar lengths into four groups based on reactivity: None, Low, Moderate, High. Here is a brief summary of my results listed in order of magnitude within each category:

High: milk whey, almonds, kidney beans, milk, wheat gliadin, wheat gluten, wheat(whole), spelt

Moderate: egg white, cheddar cheese, casein, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg yolk, amaranth flour, corn, sesame

Low: rye, pineapple, string bean, filbert, oat, banana

None: all 11 types of fish, all vegs, all meat/fowl, many beans (incl soy), fruits, coffee, yeast, & nuts (except almonds)

I observe that at least the wheat gliadin/gluten and milk stuff results are pretty consistent with my Enterolab testing results and my self-diagnosis.

But, as with lots of testing the other “high” and “moderate” items are more confusing than not. Since there is no proven cause & effect for IgG reactions and specific symptoms, I find it difficult to guess what additional symptoms I have; all my recognized symptoms seem to be responding well to being gluten-free/CF. Next step is to try eliminating the “High” and at least the higher “Moderate” items to see if I can detect any health differences. I do keep a food/symptoms log which hopefully will help. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile I would really like to hear from anyone else who has had any IgG tests. Did you get any clear cause & effect if you eliminated the “High” items? Please include "no response" as well. If you had almond or kidney beans rated “High”, what type symptoms did they relate to for you (I know, mine may be different)? Any other general comments?

George

For reference:

gluten-free since June ’05 CF(mostly) since Aug ‘05

Per Enterolab

HLA-DQ1, DQ1 (not likely to develop villi damage (celiac disease) but subject to other equally dire effects from gluten sensitivity)

Antigliadin IgA = 22 (normal < 10)

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA = 17 (normal < 10)

Fecal Fat Score = 84 (normal < 300)

Anti-casein IgA = 19 (normal < 10)

Per Self Diagnosis:

gastro stuff (gas, bloat, constipation) improved within 48 hrs of gluten-free

neuro stuff (mild peripheral neuropathy, restless leg syndrone) improving

skin stuff (splitting, irritated area on face and between 2 toes) major improvement

other stuff (mild anemia, osteoporosis) – too soon to tell, will retest in Jan ‘06

Thank you for this thread.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

I had my testing done by US Bioteks.

High: Asparagus; Kidney Beans

Moderate: Soy Beans; Wheat Gluten; Spelt; Whole Wheat; Navy Beans

Low: Casein; Cottage Cheese; Mozzarella; Milk; Goat Milk; Whey; Yogurt; Cabbage White; Carrot; Cauliflower; Cucumber; Lettuce; Radish; String Bean; Wheat Gliadin; Rye; Sesame; Banana; Pineapple; Cantaloupe; Kamut; Millet; Watermelon.

Most of my lows were just over. I didn't have a meat panel done since I wasn't eating it then...I am now. I also hadn't had dairy except for a few times a year for 3 years.

I have cut out all my high and moderate as well as reducing lows (except for cutting out gluten stuff). I never noticed symptoms for anything so I can't help there. I do notice when I get glutened now though.

sspitzer5 Apprentice

Hi George,

I just got my York IgG tests back last week. The only thing that came back as highly reactive was almonds. Eggs were moderate. I already knew about eggs and hadn't been eating them. I cut out the almonds about 8 days ago and it seems like the results are good so far. My headaches and fatigue seem to have improved. Some of my digestional stuff seems better too. I guess time will tell.

S

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I used US Biotek as well...I came out as being allergic to nothing. Which was cool...but almost hard to believe after 35 years of Celiac disease. I had some things that did make a mark on the scale, which is delineated like the York one - Kidney beans were at the maximum of no reaction. I did have things I have never eaten (to my knowledge) that got blips in the first "no Reaction" column - like lobster, crab, oysters, etc.

anyway, I guess I'm glad to know I have no clinical allergic reactions to any foods right now.

-Sherri

mle-ii Explorer

I didn't see this thread before, but here are my results from US BioTek.

Most everything showed no reaction, but let's look at what showed a reaction.

Low Reaction - Whey (protein in dairy) and Almond

Moderate Reaction - Gliadin (Wheat) and Whole Wheat - Both were closer to High than Low reaction

High Reaction - Gluten (Wheat), and Rye

And what, quite curiously, is missing with regards to reaction. Barley and Oat. Given more info about celiac/gluten and oats not being a problem, I might just have to try an oat that is known for being gluten free (no cross contamination). I thought for sure my reaction to dairy would be higher though, perhaps it's only a lactose reaction or perhaps I'm just sensitive to the low reaction of whey.

It's pretty cool that it matches very well with the data from Enterolab. Being that I showed reaction to gluten, but no reaction to soy, egg, casein in both this test and in the stool test via Enterolab.

It also appears that I might have to give eggs another chance now and test soy again.

Here's info on what all I had tested:

Open Original Shared Link

More info on the testing:

Thanks,

Mike

Archived