9 replies to this topic

#1 HumanDecency

HumanDecency

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

So recently I have been experiencing a lot of weight loss. 10 lbs this month. I did gluten myself earlier in the month with vitamins but that has been a couple weeks away. Is weight loss a normal process of healing or should I be worried about contamination somewhere? Even though I have been pretty vigilant. Are there any warning signs of malnutrition? Or is it just the fact I am no longer eating crap and less of it?

How much did some of my Celiac friends lose? I started around 225. I'm now at 194.5

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

I also am A newbie I started out at almost 200 lbs and now 175. I think it is normal, A lot of mine was just puffyness. My daughter I don't see very often seen a new pic of me on FB and said Wow mom your face looks so much thinner. I know someone eles with Celiac and she was stick thin!! And now she is gaining weight!! I think it can go either way! Just try and eat as healthy as possible!! Thats what I am doing! :) Trying to get the vitamins back in me! :) Have  to learn about Probiotics tho ...

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

A lot of information is out there that focuses on the waif celiac. Many of us could actually stand to lose a few (or more) pounds. I have found that as I began to heal many things came together for me that allowed me weight to begin to drop. First, and most important to me, I was healing. I was no longer poisoning my body with every meal. Second, the longer I was gluten free, the more physically active I found myself able to be. Some might think that isn't saying much considering my current state, but it is leaps and bounds better from two years ago when I couldn't get out of bed some days. Third, I cleaned up my diet. Instead of eating from boxes and cans my diet primarily consists of fresh foods now.

As long as you aren't dropping weight that you can't afford to lose, I wouldn't be alarmed. It is very probable that is only a side effect of a healthier you. That of course is simply my opinion.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

I lost about 20lbs in the first few months but put most of it back on because i felt poorly from other issues or lingering celiac disease symptoms. I discovered that I gain weight when feeling poorly - I eat extra for energy and seem to hold onto the calories more.  The weight is coming off again now.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

I got diagnosed in the beginning of April and I am now down 30 lbs. (was over 300, now below 300)

I think going gluten-free is helping my thyroid (I also have hypo-thyroid disease) and I really think I'm metabolizing better, and also of course I'm eating healthier as well.

Celiac disease April 2013 -- so glad I got answers and can heal now.

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

#6 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

I have stabilized , I am holding steady at 170 so it has been about 3o lbs I lost .. I am 5'7" so yes I could stand to lose it. I don't eat "alot" of the pre packaged stuff, I "try" and eat more homemade stuff .. As in fresh meat, fresh veggies, a rice or potato a night sometimes I go for quinio <-- spelling but you know what I am saying :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#7 bellalunarena

bellalunarena

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

In November of 2012, I set out to lose weight. I overhauled my diet. I attempted to work out. I weighed 217. 

I weigh 167 now. 

I have no idea, in light of my recent dx, if that weight came off due to malabsorption, due to my dietary change, or due to medicine I am on for a completely different condition.

But I keep telling myself that even if it didn't end up coming off the healthy way, who says I can't keep it off the healthy way, especially now that I have the knowledge to help my body heal and recover?

I heard a saying when I joined the gym:

"Eat healthy, and you will BE healthy." 

Food is fuel, not emotions. <---that was hardest for me...I am a compulsive eater.

#8 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Yup i am still eating healthy and people who I have not seen in a while are saying, Wow Wendy you have lost alot of weight!! They don't realize I have had a problem and I am Celiac. So when they ask how I am doing it, I just try to say, I am just eating healthy and not eating pre packaged foods. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#9 no7ang

no7ang

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yup i am still eating healthy and people who I have not seen in a while are saying, Wow Wendy you have lost alot of weight!! They don't realize I have had a problem and I am Celiac. So when they ask how I am doing it, I just try to say, I am just eating healthy and not eating pre packaged foods. 

Hi, just wanted to add that weight loss was one of my first symptoms--was diagnosed in July and since going gluten free have lost even more weight----i believe that this is because i am eating more healhy than ever, but......seriously need to gain some weight now as too thin---i found some gluten free muffins that pack 347 calories each--i try and eat at least 2 a day in the hope that as i heal i will gain some weight, i also take supplement drinks prescribed by doc.

oh how i long for the years when i tried to lose a few pounds--ha ha----many people don't realise that trying to gain weight for some people with celiac is just as frustrating then for those trying to lose weight.

#10 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

Hi, just wanted to add that weight loss was one of my first symptoms--was diagnosed in July and since going gluten free have lost even more weight----i believe that this is because i am eating more healhy than ever, but......seriously need to gain some weight now as too thin---i found some gluten free muffins that pack 347 calories each--i try and eat at least 2 a day in the hope that as i heal i will gain some weight, i also take supplement drinks prescribed by doc.

oh how i long for the years when i tried to lose a few pounds--ha ha----many people don't realise that trying to gain weight for some people with celiac is just as frustrating then for those trying to lose weight.

I used to be stick thin all my life till I got married. It slowly came on. When I was in high school I wore a size zero. When I first got married I wore a size 6 so I had gained some weight. I always fely if I could just gain some weight .. I bought me some protein powder and stuff ... Well it was nasty so I never ate it. But hubbs eats alot of noodle dishes so I naturally gained weight .. and kept and kept. Now I am losing , I am sure I was Celiac back then. Have always had "Bathroom" issues , until now. :) I have never been happier than the way I am eating now! I feel so much better!! Of course good and bad days and then there are those terrific days. :) Those make me happy!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: