This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Popsicles

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

Someone suggested a popsicle thread. No one ever got around to it. Well I found this recipe posted on facebook today and it is next on my hit list. I am heading to the store tomorrow because as wonderful as these low/mid 90s have been the past few days, we're heading back to 100ish this week. Trips to the store here happen before 10 or 11 because I'm not getting caught out in the heat after that!

These I'll put in molds. I got my molds for $1 each last summer, they're super cheap if you check dollar stores, check at the end of summer (not helpful now I know) or aren't picky about shapes. As we have a little more money to spend on kitcheny things, I'll indulge in some more exciting molds than the plain round stick ones I have now.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SUZIN Newbie

Someone suggested a popsicle thread. No one ever got around to it. Well I found this recipe posted on facebook today and it is next on my hit list. I am heading to the store tomorrow because as wonderful as these low/mid 90s have been the past few days, we're heading back to 100ish this week. Trips to the store here happen before 10 or 11 because I'm not getting caught out in the heat after that!

These I'll put in molds. I got my molds for $1 each last summer, they're super cheap if you check dollar stores, check at the end of summer (not helpful now I know) or aren't picky about shapes. As we have a little more money to spend on kitcheny things, I'll indulge in some more exciting molds than the plain round stick ones I have now.

I make popsicles often....one "recipe" I use is....take a can of peaches (I use the ones that don't have added sugar, just sweetened by pear juice) and put the whole can of peaches in the blender....sometimes I add a couple small packets of stevia to sweeten a bit more....and just blend....then pour the puree into the molds...you can use most any kind of canned fruit this way.....then I make chocolate pudding from scratch and pour that into the molds to make fudgesicles....I have soaked some dried mangos in water for a day or two, blend that and pour into the molds, I sure liked them.........I also got my molds from the dollar store, think it was the dollar tree...there was 4 molds in one form for $1....

1desperateladysaved Proficient

We have tried various popsicles.  I puree strawberries and placed them in the molds.  These are refreshing  on a hot day.   I made a big hit with the kids when we made 3 layer yogurt popsicles.  We put in a plop of one color of yogurt, a plop of another, and finally a plop with the original color.  They looked like something special.  They tasted good!

I have had some trouble getting the popsicles out of their molds.  I run cold water over the mold, but one has to be quick or they refreeze.  Never pull forcefully on the stick, but coax it with slight warming and spinning carefully.  The children pulled out several sticks.  They can be thawed and refrozen or eaten if you get them out.

D

Adalaide Mentor

For popsicles that could be difficult to get out of the mold, and always ones that are milk based, I don't use molds. I use little paper or plastic bathroom cups and popsicle sticks. That way I can just peel away the cup without all the hassle.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I make smoothies (well, really it's just blended fruit, nothing else) and freeze it.  Different primary fruits give you different textures.

Adalaide Mentor

Cheesecake popsicles? Don't mind if I do! This is why I do recipes for popsicles. I have never been satisfied with fruit/yogurt/koolaid/juice frozen. I want something far more exciting than that. I think these would be wonderful as cherry cheesecake popsicles. Maybe next week if I'm feeling spunky I'll come back with a white chocolate macadamia nut or chocolate covered pretzel popsicle recipe. I think I also have a bacon popsicle recipe.

love2travel Mentor

My favourites to make are unusual, like cardamom lime or vanilla bean lavender or even honey chipotle. I love popsicles! Right now I have lemon granita ones.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Love2travel, your mention of lavender made me think of a type of candy I had years and years ago - violet drops. I used to get them in the candy shop at Sturbridge Village in Mass. They were not a hard candy like lollipops are, but the texture of Necco wafers or SweetTarts. They were HEAVENLY and I have never tasted anything similar.

Have you ever made anything with violets, and if you have, could you share the recipe?

Adalaide Mentor

While we were at the fair last summer we got popsicles and I had an avocado pistachio one. My husband thought I was quite clearly insane. He had some berry something or other I'm sure, because that would be his go to if we were getting popsicles.

Archived